Refunded or Canceled orders showing as Unfulfilled

1 0 3

Has this been resolved yet? We ship over 7,500 packages a month and this is a huge nightmare with new employees and fulfilling orders.

Cancelled orders, Archived Orders, Refunded Orders all show up as Open and Unfulfilled orders.

It's been a few years now and for the amount of money we pay Shopify, we shouldn't have these issues. 

3 Likes
Shopify Partner
142 0 37

Nope. From what I can tell, Shopify defends the behaviour saying that sometimes you want cancelled orders to show as unfulfilled because technically they were never fulfilled.

But the multitude of badges and notifications across the website and apps make it seem like there are orders to fulfil, creating mind-numbing confusion and wasting time.

I'm guessing that either someone at Shopify previously ran an Ecom store that needed cancelled orders to show as unfulfilled, or nobody at Shopify has ever run an Ecom store and trained/managed staff.

Why on earth cancelled orders can't be removed from the notifications and badges, or why cancelled orders can't have a fulfilment status of 'cancelled' is beyond me but Shopify's general response is a vey polite 'talk to the hand'.

1 Like
1 0 2

We use our unfulfilled tab to pack orders. The problem is that refunded and canceled orders show up under the unfulfilled tab even if I mark them as fulfilled in the bulk options. How can I get these orders out of the unfulfilled tab on the orders page? Posted in 2016 and still not fixed...

2 Likes
1 0 1

For the first time since opening my shop earlier this year, I had to cancel two orders this week so have discovered this annoying problem that has apparently been going on for a long time.  What are the chances this is ever going to be fixed?  I use the "Unfulfilled" list to package orders and having those two cancelled orders showing up there is really irritating.  Wouldn't it be simple enough to have an option to select something like "cancelled and does not need fulfilled" to move it off of the unfulfilled list?  They show up in red text so I know not to fulfill them and they aren't counting in the little number, but I don't want to see them on this list forever!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
142 0 37

Agreed, most people (even those not in ecommerce) intuitively assign specific meaning to the terms fulfilled, unfulfilled and cancelled.

The problem with Shopify is three-fold;

Instead of treating 'cancelled' as its own order classification, Shopify also treats cancelled as unfulfilled. This is unintuitive because to most people cancelled means cancelled. Period.

Shopify doesn't let you fulfil a cancelled order to remove the confusion. The first time you feel frustrated, the second time you feel angry, the third time you feel stupid. Normally a developer would work hard to remove these outcomes but not Shopify... 

Instead, Shopify adds the terms 'open' and 'closed' to orders. But because most people already attach specific meaning to fulfilled, unfulfilled and cancelled, we end up with a bunch of extra order classifications which sound confusingly similar.

THE QUICK FIX
Under the search box in the orders list, I see an 'Open' link before 'Unfulfilled and partially unfulfilled'. If you always use the open link instead of unfulfilled, life will be easier because 'Open' and 'Closed' work the way everyone thinks 'Unfulfilled' and Fulfilled' should work.

But if you run a tight ship and don't ever want staff to get confused (which they will because people assign specific meaning to the terms unfulfilled and cancelled), you have to remember to fulfil cancelled orders before you cancel them.

Yes, this is counter-intuitive to the way most people think, and even to the way Shopify defines cancelled because now a cancelled order was fulfilled when it wasn't, but that's the way it is.

I've gone ten rounds with Shopify on this and they're stubbornly adamant that they way Shopify treats cancelled orders is awesome, despite countless threads and posts proving it's counter-intuitive, naturally confusing, and makes people feel stupid and frustrated.

Sorry!

Ben

1 Like
1 0 1

I'm shocked this issue is still outstanding. Shopify please help! 

1 Like
Tourist
8 0 4

Ran into this issue.....google searched it......came across this thread....aaaaaand disappointed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

This doesn't work as I send my accountant all the unfulfilled orders each month to determine the actual sales. Your system makes this reporting really cumbersome. Please find a fix ASAP so we can delete or get rid of orders that were refunded. I can't even archive it. That's a problem in your back-end and we request you resolve asap. 

1 Like
1 0 1

Very disappointed in Shopify's response to this issue.

It is illogical and counter intuitive and should be rectified for these reasons alone!

1 Like
Tourist
4 1 1

11 PAGES  complaining about this in this thread. Come on Shopify - get off your high horse and do something.
Give us a simple pull down menu and let the owner of the store decide how to classify it.

1 Like