Refunding a customer because his order wasn't delivered

2 0 0

So I've been running my store for about a month now, and haven't really had any complaints until now. I'm very responsive with customers emails so I can help them, but this one order seems to be going over the top for me to handle. So, one of my orders hasn't had the tracking number status update since it was in pre-shipment. But orders after him have already been delivered. So I looked into the matter and contacted the shipper and said it was already sent out, which leads me to believe the package has been halted at some mailing facility or customs. 

I told the customer he can either request a refund or we can send him another one free of charge. He opted to go with refund option, in which I decided to give him a partial refund because in the event that he does receive the package, I would like the product returned back to me then I will refund him the full amount. I told the customer I have zero control over what happens after the package is sent out from the supplier, but he insists that I'm making up a story and stealing his money.

After mentioning that, he's been threatening me, calling me a fraud, and saying I'm making up rules because I wasn't able to deliver on my end.

What would be the best course of action to handle this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
91 8 15

Hey there, @bshin95!

Thanks for reaching out today. Providing customer service to your customers is something that you will ultimately have control over. I understand that they are currently unhappy with your current offer to fully refund once they ship the product back. With that said, as the owner of the business, you have full control over your refund policy. You can avoid any further conflict by doing them a favor and refund them in full or simply wait to see if they send the product back. Regardless of what happens, they could issue a chargeback with their bank to dispute the charge entirely to receive a refund in full.

I recommend reading our article on Return Rates & Maintaining Profitability.  Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi 

We are a new shop selling jewelry. We offer customers standard shipping and tracking through the Post Office. The price difference is considerable. We have had a few customers who have claimed they did not receive the packages. These customers during the sales cycle seem to always have major concerns over the return & refund policies, want discounts etc. We have been issuing refunds as we do not want any negative feed back while we scale up the business. We know that 30% of our new customers buy at least one more time. So far the numbers seem to be working in our favor. We had one customer who did not receive the package, we issued a refund after 3 weeks, a few days later she got the goods...and then she paid us back. Good luck 

@bshin95 wrote:

So I've been running my store for about a month now, and haven't really had any complaints until now. I'm very responsive with customers emails so I can help them, but this one order seems to be going over the top for me to handle. So, one of my orders hasn't had the tracking number status update since it was in pre-shipment. But orders after him have already been delivered. So I looked into the matter and contacted the shipper and said it was already sent out, which leads me to believe the package has been halted at some mailing facility or customs. 

I told the customer he can either request a refund or we can send him another one free of charge. He opted to go with refund option, in which I decided to give him a partial refund because in the event that he does receive the package, I would like the product returned back to me then I will refund him the full amount. I told the customer I have zero control over what happens after the package is sent out from the supplier, but he insists that I'm making up a story and stealing his money.

After mentioning that, he's been threatening me, calling me a fraud, and saying I'm making up rules because I wasn't able to deliver on my end.

What would be the best course of action to handle this?

0 Likes