Refunding

Highlighted
3 0 0
Hi

I have connected my eBay store and someone purchase an item. They phoned me up straight away and said it was the wrong order so before I fulfilled it I refunded them. As this payment was made via PayPal from eBay will the refund I have given them be done automatically? And how long does it take for the refund to appear back in their account? The message in the refund bit under the person who ordered says ‘refunded from Manual gateway’ what does this mean?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
674 71 101

Hey, @Swannie

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for your question.

When using the Ebay sales channel, refunds must be done from within your Ebay account in order for the funds to be returned to your customer. Please see Ebay’s help center article on this here, and contact them directly if you need any assistance with this. Additionally please reach out to Paypal to inquire about the processing time for the refund through their payment gateway.

However, following the refund process within your Shopify admin via the steps found in our Help Doc on refunding orders is recommended as well. Refunding the order in your admin will not actually initiate the return of payment to your customer, as the ‘refunded from Manual gateway’ note in your order timeline indicates. But it will put the items from the order back into your inventory, and account for it in your sales reports and other analytics.

I hope this all makes sense?! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I did not realize this and refunded my customer from Shopify.  Is there any way to get my money back?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
674 71 101

Hi, @cdschn

Thanks for reaching out about this. If you refunded your customer in your Shopify admin for an order that was placed through the Ebay sales channel, then no actual funds would have been returned back to your customer via the Shopify refund. For orders placed through the Ebay sales channel, the customer payment would have been through the payment gateway connected to Ebay (not Shopify) and so to actually return the money to your customer, the refund needs to be processed via your Ebay account.

However, as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, refunding it in your Shopify admin is actually a good step for record keeping purposes! It allows you to restock the returned items, and will also keep your orders and analytics up to date by showing that there was a refund that occurred. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any further clarification on this for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I have refunded an EBAY customer thru shopify  from manual gateway and it says "success"

kmc22_0-1606096495706.png

Can you please confirm if this did not went thru?  Shall I do it again via EBAY itself? I am just scared to do it twice.

Thanks,

Best regards, 

KC

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Also what was the refund for?

Steve Swann
Founder of Switchback Collective
Mobile: 07966688095
http://www.switchbackcollective.com
Insta: @switchbackcollective
Facebook: Switchback Collective New
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
674 71 101

Hey, @kmc22!  Refunds through third party channels can be confusing, and I totally understand your hesitation to issue it for what seems like a second time, through Ebay. 

As explained above, with the Ebay sales channel, payments for orders that are placed on Ebay are not processed through Shopify. They are  processed through the payment gateway connected to your Ebay account. Therefore, in order to process a return of those funds to your Ebay customer, you’ll need to issue the refund through the same processor that originally collected the funds. So, yes, you will need to issue the refund through your Ebay account as well.

Refunding it through Shopify is for business management purposes only (ie. accounting and inventory), and so there is no transfer of funds when you apply a refund to the Shopify order, since your Shopify account is not connected to Ebay’s payment gateways.

There are a number of links in my two previous responses above as well, if you are wanting to find more information about refunds and the Ebay sales channel. 

Does that help ease your concerns?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Why am I getting this message as I’m not @kmc22 ??
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
thank you for the clarification
0 Likes