Refunds, and Restocking fees

Highlighted
2 0 0

Since getting larger, I have come across more customers who are wanting to return items, either because "they spent too much money" or they have buyers remorse.  I have established a return policy, and know how to issue a refund, and a partial refund, but there is no support for adding a 10 percent restocking fee, or something similar.  Has anyone come up with a good solution for that?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Did some more research, and found an answer.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

hey, can you please point me to your research, I'm looking for the same functionality and can't find it. 

@Steven_LaBarre wrote:

Did some more research, and found an answer.  Thanks.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 32 111

Hi, @sanazhajizadeh!

May here from Shopify.

This can definitely be done in your admin. To charge a restocking fee, you can issue a partial refund for that order by going into your order, click on 'Refund' 

Then, you'll see a page where you can restock your product and enter the refund amount for your customer.

Finally, click 'Refund' to refund the money and notify your customer that the refund has been initiated. I do recommend letting your customers know beforehand that returns are subject to a restocking fee. That way, your customers aren't caught by surprise when they receive partial refunds. 

Let me know if this helps! If this isn't what you're looking for, let me know and we can continue with our support.

Cheers!

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1
Yes, I know it can be done manually, I was hoping there is a setting that I
can say Always charge $X restocking fee on items in certain price range so
that I wouldn't need to manually update every order.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 32 111

Hi again, @sanazhajizadeh!

Thanks for your reply. 

Charging restocking fee automatically is currently not a feature within Shopify itself. That being said, I would be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that it will be added, I'm more than happy to pass along your suggestions that would provide better services to the Shopify platform. 

In the mean time, I did some digging, and I found an app that can help you do this. I've tested the app Return Magic, and it works beautifully! You can set up a return fee, and when a customer processes a return, the fee will be deducted from the refund amount automatically. If you choose to download the app, usually there will be an additional subscription cost since you’ll be using their service. For future reference, in case you have any questions about the app or if you run into any technical issues, you can reach out to the developers directly. You can find their information on the app’s page, under 'Support'.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers!

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like