Regional Support: Payments (India)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Learn more about managing your payments while running your Shopify store in India.

This thread is part of the Regional Support threads offered for merchants based in India. To see which other topics are available, you can visit the India hub here.

There are a number of different payment gateways available to merchants in India, which will allow you to accept payments from your customers through your Shopify store. This includes the likes of PayU, Razorpay and paytm, among many others.

To use these gateways to collect payments on Shopify, you will first need to create a merchant account with the payment processor of your choosing. After this is done, you will be provided with your account credentials by the processor which can then be used to activate the gateway within Shopify. This is done in the Payment providers section of your Shopify admin settings.

Shopify also allows you to connect your PayPal business account via PayPal Express Checkout. You can enable this alongside your primary gateway which processes credit card payments, meaning that your customers will have the option of paying by card or with their PayPal account. It is also possible to enable different alternative and manual payment methods on your store, such as bank deposit and cash on delivery (COD).

Shopify also offers an Advanced Cash on Delivery app, which is exclusively available to merchants in India. The app allows for greater control when it comes to making COD an available payment method to customers, as you can use the app to restrict this payment option based on the customer’s location and the value of their order.

Please note that all payments processed via a third-party gateway are subject to transaction fees, and the rate of these fees depends on which Shopify subscription you have chosen. You can find the rate charged per transaction for each plan over on our pricing page.

Update 10/26/20; Several updates have been made to Advanced Cash on Delivery thanks to your valuable feedback! If someone selects Cash on Delivery (COD), only COD is shown instead of other payment options, and if someone selects prepaid shipping the online payment options will be shown instead. We have streamlined the process to keep the customer focused on one goal - completing the purchase. Thanks again for your feedback!

If you have a question or comment to make about processing payments on Shopify in India, please post it below.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 84 (84)

MelRoy
6 0 0

Hi,

I have been using the Advanced Cash On Delivery app for India since 2016 and had to deactivate it temporarily since March 2020. Tried activating it in the month of May and started getting the below errors:

1) Cash on delivery has not been activated.

2) When trying to make a cod payment at the payments page we get an error message but that's a Heroku Application error message. 

I have been desperately chasing Shopify support to help me with this issue as it's causing us huge losses but no one has even bothered to look into it properly. Can someone help me here?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @MelRoy,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this issue with the app, and that you've not been able to get the support required to find a resolution. Have you spoken to any members of our support team over phone, live chat, or email? If so, what did they say when asked about issues with the app?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

MelRoy
6 0 0
Hi Victor,

Here's what I have been hearing from Jaimie from the support team for the
last 3 months - At this time, this issue remains open and unresolved with
the development team. We do not currently have a timeframe that we can
provide on when this will be resolved.

He has been literally copy-pasting the same response. What more do I say.
MelRoy
6 0 0
Hi Victor,

Here's what I have been hearing from Jaimie from the support team for the last 3 months - At this time, this issue remains open and unresolved with the development team. We do not currently have a timeframe that we can provide on when this will be resolved.

He has been literally copy-pasting the same response for the last 3 months. What more do I say.
Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @MelRoy,

Okay, I see. Thank you for sharing this with me. It sounds from Jaimie's email that the issue you've experienced is a known one that is currently being looked into, but currently has no ETA in terms of a resolution. I understand that this is frustrating, but this can happen with some aspects of the Shopify platform (including its apps) and may take some time to resolve. You can always contact our support team again via our Help Center and ask them if there are any further updates to your ticket they can provide.

Kind regards,

MelRoy
6 0 0
8 months to solve such a simple issue is some time? Are you even serious?
Do you guys realize the number of losses you guys have individually put my
business through? Sadly enough, you guys haven't even bothered to offer any
alternatives. I inquired about setting up a new Shopify store but the team
couldn't even guide me through the process. How do we export our customer
data and other stuff? Such a disappointing experience after being a Shopify
merchant for over 5 years.

rankish3
Tourist
9 0 5

Hi, 

I am facing this problem in my store. Most of my COD order are showing either double or triple the actual amount on being marked paid. I recently noticed this problem while reconciliation. I am not sure why is this happening can you help. Below is the screenshot. 

Shopify issue.png

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @rankish3,

Thank you for sharing that screenshot—can you confirm if you are using the Advanced Cash on Delivery app, or do you just have cash on delivery enabled as a manual payment method on your store?

Kind regards,

Vora
Visitor
1 0 0

Is Advanced Cash On Delivery feature is also available for Basic Plan? 

Please guide us how we can have different shipping charge for prepaid and COD orders being in Basic plan.

Lan123
6 0 0

Hi, how can we add additional indian payments? such as UPI, paytm and etc. listed under https://www.shopify.in/payment-gateways?shpxid=f7967ca2-08D2-413B-DADA-8E4AC5577A12
Under "Setting"->"Payment",i couldn't find them under "third party providers" or "alternative payment methods"

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @Lan123 

I'm able to see PayTM and PayU on my side for shops in India so we may need to take a closer look at your account. 

For good measure, can you please send me a screenshot of what appears when you go to Settings > Payments > Alternative Payments and search "Pay"? 

Thanks!

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

Lan123
6 0 0

hi Elle, thanks for getting back to me, very much appreciated! Here's the screenshot. I'm not seeing the payment method, is it because the business location is in HK? Despite the business location itself, we are serving customers worldwide with digital services. Please help, this is critical to us.

Lan123_0-1614912676747.png

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @Lan123 

Yes, the payment options you see are the payment gateways available to you in your region. 

Payment providers available in India may not be supported in HK. 

As long as you have a credit card gateway enabled on your store, customers from all over the world will be able to check out on your site. If you would like to offer additional payment methods for customers without credit cards such as manual payment methods, you can do so; however, you will not be able to integrate with providers not supported in your businesses' region. 

I hope this helps clear things up! 

banterkitchen
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi ,

Can someone help me with setting up subscription app for my store?

Every app i try says that I need to enable shopify payments as my payment gateway, but when I checked, shopify payments is not available in India. Does that mean that I can't use subscriptions or is there any other way to implement this? I use Payu Payment gateway.

Thank you

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @banterkitchen 

Currently, Shopify Payments is a requirement to use a subscription based app. You can learn more about our Subscriptions feature here. 

We are working to support additional payment providers (ie. PayPal should be supported by Q2 of this year). You can see which subscription features are in development and when they are being released here. 

I hope this helps! 

Lan123
6 0 0

Yes, we do intend to integrate credit card, however as you might know, people in many developing countries don't really use credit cards. India is one of the example, and that's why we are looking to add local payments... Despite we are based in HK, we are providing digital services which customers from all over the world can use it despite the location. Why I'm not able to see those payment methods though? Are there any other way of doing it?

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Yes, we do intend to integrate credit card, however as you might know, people in many developing countries don't really use credit cards. India is one of the example, and that's why we are looking to add local payments... Despite we are based in HK, we are providing digital services which customers from all over the world can use it despite the location. Why I'm not able to see those payment methods though? Are there any other way of doing it?

@Lan123, currently you are bound by the payment providers supported in the region in which your business is being run. You can also offer manual and alternative payment methods as additional options! 

I can definitely appreciate your situation though so I've passed along a request to our developers to consider the ability to integrate local payment options when a store is operating in another region. 

chandanagarwal1
Visitor
1 0 0

@Victor @Elle 

Does Shopify provide Express Google Pay Checkout Options for India based stores?

Thanks

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @chandanagarwal1,

No, I'm afraid not. Google Pay can only be activated on Shopify checkouts via Shopify Payments, which is not currently available to merchants in India at this time. I will be sure to submit your request for Google Pay to be made available via other gateways to our development team.

Kind regards,

ajaypatra
Visitor
1 0 0

can anyone suggest to me a better payment gateway (domestic and international) for my Website and App.

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @ajaypatra 

Happy to help! 

What payment provider are you currently using, and what features are you looking for that your current provider does not support? 

SabiraAlam
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there any way to add a discount coupon for prepaid orders? To divert COD customers towards PPD. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @SabiraAlam,

It is not possible to create a discount code only available to those who choose pre-paid options, but you can add on an additional fee for customers who choose to pay via Cash on Delivery. This can be done via the Advanced Cash on Delivery app, available for free for Shopify merchants based in India. You can read more about setting this up here.

Kind regards,

Mayank_Mittal
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Victor, I want to use understand how are third party providers and alternative payment methods different from each other?

For e.g. cashfree is a third party provider and Razorpay is an alternative payment method in India. Do i have to pay transaction fee which varies between 2% and .5% as per plans for both these payment providers?

I know that i have to pay transcaction fee for using cashfree as it is a third party provider but does that imply on Razorpay as well? It is categorized as an alternative payment method and i cannot find anywhere mentioned that i have to pay transaction fee for using any alternative payment method.

Also, please tell if there is any solution to avoid transaction fees in India. Because i do not think shopify payments is available in India and it seems like it is the only payment solution to avoid transaction fees.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @Mayank_Mittal,

Thank you for getting in touch. Third-party gateways are those which are primarily used to process standard credit card transactions, whereas alternative payment gateways allow for other types of payments to be processed (such as cryptocurrencies). Usages of either would incur transaction fees, although manual payments are exempt from these charges. Examples of manual payment methods include cash on delivery and bank deposits.

I hope this explains things but please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

RajdipsinhRana
Visitor
1 0 0
we don't have shopify payment in india so we have to choose other third party payment providers. than we also have to pay payment fees 2%(for basic plan) to shopify?
Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @RajdipsinhRana,

Yes, that's correct. Shopify Payments is not available in India so if you wish to process credit card payments you would need to use a third-party gateway, which are subject to transaction fees. On the Basic plan those transaction fees are 2% per order, as listed on our pricing page for India. You can find a list of payment gateways available to merchants in India here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Zoe14
6 0 0

Unable to authorize $39.98 USD on PayPal Express Checkout.

Hi, please help me! I don't know it's my problem or customers'.

Zoe14_0-1623810089239.png

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @Zoe14,

Have you seen multiple issues of this in your store? You can refer to the abandoned checkouts section of your Shopify admin to see if other customers have had PayPal issues at checkout. If not, it's more likely to be an issue on the customer's end. If you want to be sure of this, I would recommend speaking to PayPal directly as they can offer more insight any failed attempts to process a payment via their gateway.

Kind regards,

Youvraj
Visitor
1 0 0

Your order from KITCHENTOOLS.CO.IN has been shipped.

Hi Youvraj , thanks for your purchase of Rs. 249.00 from KITCHENTOOLS.CO.IN! We'll notify you when it ships. View order (#1033): https://kitchentools-co-in.myshopify.com/58613956783/orders/2a5fa2b5d67070dd5f35f217381f10cc/authent...

How my self track my order or refund if any difficulty on your side

Nayan-
Visitor
1 0 0

How can complete full payment on my store. I don't want that, payment is redirect on Razorpay site. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @Nayan-,

Thanks for getting in touch. Shopify has integrations with a number of third-party gateways, some of which are direct credit card payment providers and others which are external. Direct providers do not require the customer to leave the Shopify checkout to complete their purchase, and are fully integrated, whereas external providers require the customer to go offsite and make their payment via the providers' site, before then returning to the checkout. The process is straightforward for customers in both cases.

If you are seeing that Razorpay is redirecting customers to their own checkout, there is no way to avoid this as this is how the integration between Razorpay and Shopify is set up. The process should not interrupt the checkout process though and your customers should still be able to make their purchases with ease.

mamun07
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

mamun07_0-1662815474121.png

I want to set the different payment methods for these two shipping methods so please help me with how can i set them properly.

Ajayboopathy
Shopify Partner
10 0 3

I'm really confused about the payments, so for example if i'm using razorpay as my payment gateway with shopify. Now do i have to pay 2% (Shopify Basic) + 2% (razorpay charges) = 4% charges on every order.

it say for shopify payments the charges are zero, but if i'm selecting razorpay , is it considered as 3rd party? or shopify payments?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2393 224 515

Hi @Ajayboopathy,

Thanks for reaching out. I know understanding processing fees can be confusing at first but I'd be happy to explain in more detail.

If you don't have Shopify Payments enabled on your store then third-party transaction fees will be charged on orders where a third-party payment processor is used to accept payments. If you are based in India it is not possible for you to use Shopify Payments, so you'll need to use a third-party processor such as Razorpay.

The fees you pay depend on which Shopify plan you are on. For the Basic plan this rate is 2% per transaction, with lower rates for the more expensive plans. You can view these rates on our pricing page.

These transaction fees are paid to Shopify but you will also be subject to credit card processing fees through Razorpay. These are typically deducted automatically by the payment gateway before your payouts are delivered to your bank account.

I hope this helps clarify the situation but please let me know if you have more questions.