Regional Support: Payments (India)

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
619 54 153

Learn more about managing your payments while running your Shopify store in India.

This thread is part of the Regional Support threads offered for merchants based in India. To see which other topics are available, you can visit the India hub here.

There are a number of different payment gateways available to merchants in India, which will allow you to accept payments from your customers through your Shopify store. This includes the likes of PayU, Razorpay and paytm, among many others.

To use these gateways to collect payments on Shopify, you will first need to create a merchant account with the payment processor of your choosing. After this is done, you will be provided with your account credentials by the processor which can then be used to activate the gateway within Shopify. This is done in the Payment providers section of your Shopify admin settings.

Shopify also allows you to connect your Paypal business account via PayPal Express Checkout. You can enable this alongside your primary gateway which processes credit card payments, meaning that your customers will have the option of paying by card or with their PayPal account. It is also possible to enable different alternative and manual payment methods on your store, such as bank deposit and cash on delivery (COD).

Shopify also offers an Advanced Cash on Delivery app, which is exclusively available to merchants in India. The app allows for greater control when it comes to making COD an available payment method to customers, as you can use the app to restrict this payment option based on the customer’s location and the value of their order.

Please note that all payments processed via a third-party gateway are subject to transaction fees, and the rate of these fees depends on which Shopify subscription you have chosen. You can find the rate charged per transaction for each plan over on our pricing page.

Update 10/26/20; Several updates have been made to Advanced Cash on Delivery thanks to your valuable feedback! If someone selects Cash on Delivery (COD), only COD is shown instead of other payment options, and if someone selects prepaid shipping the online payment options will be shown instead. We have streamlined the process to keep the customer focused on one goal - completing the purchase. Thanks again for your feedback!

If you have a question or comment to make about processing payments on Shopify in India, please post it below.

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I am unable to activate PayPal express checkout on my Shopify store. All my other requirements are setup. I need to connect my PayPal with shopify. Please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
619 54 153

Hi @Anish3,

Thank you for getting in touch. PayPal Express Checkout is available to merchants in India if they sell in either GBP or INR, and you can read more about the setup process here. You will need to first create a PayPal business account before activating the gateway in your store. Once this is done, you activate it as follows:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payment providers.

2. In the PayPal section, select your PayPal account type.

3. Click Activate.

4. Enter the email address for your PayPal account, then click Next.

5. Enter the password for your PayPal account, then click Log In.

6. On the PayPal permissions page, click I Give Permission.

7. On the PayPal confirmation page, click Go back to Shopify.

If you have already attempted these steps but have been unable to activate the gateway, please let me know and provide more information about the errors you are receiving so I can troubleshoot in more detail.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
I've tried these steps but my integration with PayPal is not working.
Please help me out.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
619 54 153

Hi @Anish3,

Did you complete the setup process as mentioned above, or did an error occur when you tried to activate your PayPal account within Shopify? Does the gateway show as activated in Settings > Payment providers?

Please provide as much information as you can about the issues you're experiencing and what you're seeing in the Shopify admin and I will do my best to help you.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I am not able to activate Paypal Express Checkout option. I have valid Paypal account, but when i am going to connect with shopify, nothing happened.

Please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
836 53 139

Hi, @arunsharmaseo 

Happy to help you with this!

Can you please let me know exactly what steps you are taking? Also, if you're receiving any error messages in particular please let me know what they say. 

As a troubleshooting step, please try to connect your account within an incognito window inside of Google Chrome. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks for the reponding.

I tried it also, but nothing happened.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
836 53 139

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you, @arunsharmaseo 

Would you be able to expand on how nothing happened? Perhaps you can share a video of the steps you are taking, so I can see exactly what is going on. 

Thanks so much! 

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi - I just carried out a of test transaction using Razorpay as an alternative provider. I then cancelled the order via Shopify and issued a normal refund via the Razorpay dashboard . But the amount paid is still showing up in the Shopify Dashboard? How do I mark this payment as refunded? 

Sorry, the returns and refund process in Shopify is very very confusing!

Thanks

0 Likes