Regional Support: Payments (India)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Learn more about managing your payments while running your Shopify store in India.

This thread is part of the Regional Support threads offered for merchants based in India. To see which other topics are available, you can visit the India hub here.

There are a number of different payment gateways available to merchants in India, which will allow you to accept payments from your customers through your Shopify store. This includes the likes of PayU, Razorpay and paytm, among many others.

To use these gateways to collect payments on Shopify, you will first need to create a merchant account with the payment processor of your choosing. After this is done, you will be provided with your account credentials by the processor which can then be used to activate the gateway within Shopify. This is done in the Payment providers section of your Shopify admin settings.

Shopify also allows you to connect your PayPal business account via PayPal Express Checkout. You can enable this alongside your primary gateway which processes credit card payments, meaning that your customers will have the option of paying by card or with their PayPal account. It is also possible to enable different alternative and manual payment methods on your store, such as bank deposit and cash on delivery (COD).

Shopify also offers an Advanced Cash on Delivery app, which is exclusively available to merchants in India. The app allows for greater control when it comes to making COD an available payment method to customers, as you can use the app to restrict this payment option based on the customer’s location and the value of their order.

Please note that all payments processed via a third-party gateway are subject to transaction fees, and the rate of these fees depends on which Shopify subscription you have chosen. You can find the rate charged per transaction for each plan over on our pricing page.

Update 10/26/20; Several updates have been made to Advanced Cash on Delivery thanks to your valuable feedback! If someone selects Cash on Delivery (COD), only COD is shown instead of other payment options, and if someone selects prepaid shipping the online payment options will be shown instead. We have streamlined the process to keep the customer focused on one goal - completing the purchase. Thanks again for your feedback!

If you have a question or comment to make about processing payments on Shopify in India, please post it below.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 84 (84)

Anish3
Visitor
2 0 1

I am unable to activate PayPal express checkout on my Shopify store. All my other requirements are setup. I need to connect my PayPal with shopify. Please help.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Anish3,

Thank you for getting in touch. PayPal Express Checkout is available to merchants in India if they sell in either GBP or INR, and you can read more about the setup process here. You will need to first create a PayPal business account before activating the gateway in your store. Once this is done, you activate it as follows:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payment providers.

2. In the PayPal section, select your PayPal account type.

3. Click Activate.

4. Enter the email address for your PayPal account, then click Next.

5. Enter the password for your PayPal account, then click Log In.

6. On the PayPal permissions page, click I Give Permission.

7. On the PayPal confirmation page, click Go back to Shopify.

If you have already attempted these steps but have been unable to activate the gateway, please let me know and provide more information about the errors you are receiving so I can troubleshoot in more detail.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Anish3
Visitor
2 0 1
I've tried these steps but my integration with PayPal is not working.
Please help me out.
Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Anish3,

Did you complete the setup process as mentioned above, or did an error occur when you tried to activate your PayPal account within Shopify? Does the gateway show as activated in Settings > Payment providers?

Please provide as much information as you can about the issues you're experiencing and what you're seeing in the Shopify admin and I will do my best to help you.

Kind regards,

arunsharmaseo
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the reponding.

I tried it also, but nothing happened.

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you, @arunsharmaseo 

Would you be able to expand on how nothing happened? Perhaps you can share a video of the steps you are taking, so I can see exactly what is going on. 

Thanks so much! 

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi - I just carried out a of test transaction using Razorpay as an alternative provider. I then cancelled the order via Shopify and issued a normal refund via the Razorpay dashboard . But the amount paid is still showing up in the Shopify Dashboard? How do I mark this payment as refunded? 

Sorry, the returns and refund process in Shopify is very very confusing!

Thanks

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @vssc 

When you cancelled the order via Shopify, did you see the option to refund? When cancelling and refunding orders, you should do so within the Shopify admin, and not the gateway directly. 

We have a helpful guide which provides the steps to cancel and refund orders here. 

If you have already issued a refund through the gateway, I would recommend checking with Razorpay to see if there is a possibility to refund the customer twice. Typically, this cannot occur; however, if you want the order to reflect the refund in Shopify you will need to refund the order within Shopify. 

I'm sorry to hear that you have found this process confusing, I'd be happy to pass any additional feedback you have along to our developers. 

Let me know if this helps! Happy to answer any other questions you have in regards to payments.

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi Elle,

Thanks - there was no option for refund - Razorpay is linked as an Alternative Payment Service. So's my second gateway - PayU

I had created 2 orders - One (paid via Razorpay) I cancelled after creation, and one (paid via PayU) I 'Returned' after marking as fulfilled. Now, the two cancelled / returned orders in Shopify show 0.00, but the Dashboard has an incorrect sales figure (includes the cancelled and returned orders) and shows returns as 0 (please note that one order I had marked as returned and restocked). 

Also, Razorpay says that all refunds have to be carried out via their panel.

Going forward, does this mean that I'll never have accurate sales information as Shopify will continue to include even cancelled and returned sales in the Dashboard?

I've gone through the help docs, but the returns and refunds process is just confusing.  

Shopify support also seems non-existent (at least in India) - There's no phone support, no reply to a ticket I created, and after holding on chat for over half an hour, I'm connected to a staff member who eventually tells me they need time for a 'deep dive' to figure out why the Dashboard is still showing incorrect figures. 

Have other issues too (for example, one design issue is that there's no way to hide out-of-stock variants from filtered searches. Of course, that's not a payments issue so have posted in the design section. 

But for now, how on earth do I get my Dashboard to reflect actual sales figures?

Thanks

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Since there is no response from, Shopify support, what do I do?  The total sales are still being shown incorrectly in Home, the Dashboard, and even the Sales Reports -  the figure includes orders that have been cancelled  returned.

Dashboard.jpgDashboard 2.jpgOrders 2.jpg

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Thanks for those details, @vssc 

I do apologize for all the trouble you're having with our support and this issue at hand. 

I'm afraid that at this time, some gateways that integrate with Shopify (such as Razorpay) do not currently offer support for refunds in our admin. This means that despite refunding an order within the gateway, the analytics (and orders) within your admin will not reflect the refund. 

I completely understand that this is not ideal, and our developers are aware of this as well. 

I will continue to advocate for all gateways to provide support for refunds. For now, the best workaround I can offer is to export your orders, and manually adjust totals for cancelled orders within a spreadsheet. Of course, you can utilize another gateway that supports refunds inside of the admin. 

If you have any other gateways in mind, I can confirm for you whether or not they support refunds. 

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi Elle, Thanks.

"I'm afraid that at this time, some gateways that integrate with Shopify (such as Razorpay) do not currently offer support for refunds in our admin. This means that despite refunding an order within the gateway, the analytics (and orders) within your admin will not reflect the refund. "

- So you're saying that the analytics and dashboard are useless if we use external gateways? Why not warn people in advance?

- Is there any way of getting actual accurate reports now or do we just deal with this incorrect data till we're sure of investing in a move to a more capable platform (one that doesn't ask for $5 a month for basic features)

- Since I have processed the refund via Razorpay, why not let me manually mark the orders ? If your developers are aware, it shouldn't be an issue

- The orders page shows 0.00. Why does the Dashboard not reflect that? If you can make the orders show 0.00, I'm sure you can also make the Dashboard reflect that?

- Is there any reason for this absolutely asinine design choice? 

- Do I get a part refund now that the analytics bit of Shopify is absolutely useless?  Everything from Average Order Value to Conversion Rate will be off?

- I'm repeating this, but is there any reason why we can't mark out / leave out / filter out cancelled orders?  So now it's too late?

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi - Is there any payments gateway for India which lets you accurately track refunds, cancellations and returns?

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @vssc 

There are some external gateways which do offer support for refunds. You can see all gateways available to merchants residing in India here. If you'd like to utilize another gateway which offers support for refunds, let me know and I will provide you with a list. I agree it would be helpful if this information was noted up front on the payment gateway page, so I've let the team know who handles updates on these pages.

Currently, orders cannot be modified to show a refunded status as the gateway does not pass this information back to Shopify. This is simply not a feature that has been integrated into our platform. The feedback we continue to receive will help change this! 

Notes within the order timeline can be utilized to reflect the order has been refunded; however, reports will remain inaccurate as the refunds cannot be processed within the admin. You can export your orders and leave the cancelled ones out of the export to view order totals. 

We do not offer refunds or discounts for our service. Our developers are aware of many feature requests, brought forth by merchants all over the world. Every day we release new features and product updates, based on the feedback we receive. I trust in the future all payment providers that integrate with Shopify will offer support for refunds within Shopify directly. 

NG_TT
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Elle,

I would certainly be interested in knowing which payment gateway can pass on refund information to shopify so that order cancellations and returns are easier to track on shopify as well. 

Thanks!

Neha

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @NG_TT 

This feature is not currently supported on our Basic, Shopify, and Advanced plans; however, this is something that can be accomplished with Shopify Gold. If your business is currently processing a large amount of sales this option may be best for your business! I can see that you posted on another thread in our community about this feature so I do hope our Partners can help you with a coding workaround from there. 

In regards to payment providers that support refunds, your best bet would be: 

PayPal Payflow 
* CashFree

Hope this helps! 

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

@vssc 

Just seeing your latest post! 

I will look into this for you today and get back to you ASAP with a list of gateways which support refunds within Shopify. 

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @vssc 

Thanks for your patience while I looked into different gateways for you!

Here are the credit card gateways available to you in India which currently support refunds inside of our admin: 

* PayPal Payflow 
* CashFree

I hope this helps! 

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi Elle. Thanks. Have signed up for Cashfree. Will try that out! Edit: One query though: Is the 2% payment fee mentioned in the payment settings page on top of what an integrated gateway charges?

cheers

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

You're very welcome, @vssc!

Yes - transaction fees are charged in addition to the credit card rate you will pay to the payment provider. You will see transaction fees appear your monthly Shopify invoices. You can learn more about transaction fees here

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Hi Elle,

Oh. So in a nutshell, I can either stay stuck with reporting that won't take into account refunds / returns or I can pay Shopify an extra 2%  (on top of my monthly subscription) to make sure refunds reflect properly. 😕 I hope you do realise why this doesn't quite go down well. 

I'm also now discovering the product exchange process is anything but straightforward and requires refunding and  then asking a customer to place a fresh order.

Thanks for your help, though. Appreciate you taking out the time to help me here. But must say I am extremely disappointed with Shopify - basic features which you'd expect to be baked in require paid apps, and it's anything but straightforward. Will manage I suppose, at least till we can pay a developer to move us to a better platform, one that includes basic features as part of the main subscription.

cheers

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @vssc 

No problem, I'm more than happy to help! 

Transaction fees would be charged for orders processed through the Razorpay gateway as well. 

If you don't use Shopify Payments or a manual payment method, then transaction fees apply for orders in addition to the processing fee charged by your payment provider. Also, transaction fees don't apply for manual payment methods, which include cash on delivery (COD), bank deposits, checks, test orders, and draft orders marked as paid or pending. Transaction fees don't apply for POS orders.

In regards to returns, the customer does not need to place a new order. You can follow the steps outlined here to edit an order. Hope this helps! 

vssc
Excursionist
26 0 4

Thanks! Yup, trying to work around these issues. Am facing a new issue now - the exchange / store credit is always greyed out on my Shopify POS app (running on Android 11). Trying to exchange products using the POS app now doesn't show the exchange amount as 0 - and there's no credit / option. But it's enabled in the POS payment settings.

cheers,

Vaibhav

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

You're welcome, @vssc 

For assistance with POS issues, you can connect directly with our Retail Support team by following these steps: 

• Enter your question in the search bar. 
  • Select 'continue' under 'Get support' at the bottom of the page
  • Select your preferred support option (live chat or callback)

From there our retail team can assist!

Hope this helps 🙂 

rohan-ranadive
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Victor,

I have the same issue with USD.  Tried everything but payments do not go through for international customers.  Payapl confirms international payments is active.  Please advise.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @rohan-ranadive,

Thank you for reaching out about this. Can you tell me more about this issue please, and how many instances of this you have seen? Do you have USD set as the default currency on your store, or INR? Is this something customers have reached out to you directly about?

Kind regards,

rajat1234
Visitor
3 0 0

hi @Victor , My issue is quite similar. But to be precise, my checkout page is not redirecting after accepting card details. It just loads and comes back to the card filling stage. It would really be awesome if you can help me out. Thanks

rajat1234
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Elle Can you help me with the checkout process ?

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @rajat1234 

Absolutely! I'm happy to help.

Please share the following:

• A video of this issue occurring
  • The URL of your store
  • The payment provider you're using

Thanks!

rajat1234
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Elle 

I am using Paypal express checkout option

store: https://thepinkstrawberry.store/

Please tell me do i have to add a manual redirection url after card payment is processed, since the page is not redirecting after processing card details

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Thanks so much for those details, @rajat1234 

This is likely due to PayPal requiring further regularity steps to be completed on an Indian PayPal account before it can be connected with services such as Shopify.

To resolve the issue, please reach out to PayPal to check if any further setup is required on their side!

Hope this helps! 

Weyday
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey @rajat1234 ,

As a fellow Shopify user from India, I suggest you to use Alternative payment methods as Paypal is not a major mode of payment here.

Thanks,

Deva.

prince-wise
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey victor

This is prince form prince-wise , I have just activated my third party payment method but make payment I need to integrate my API to the store that's y I need contact a person who can integrate API for my third party payment method . can u guide me where I can find and contact this person for shopify details .

plzzz help !!

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @prince-wise 

We always recommend our Shopify Experts for hands-on assistance with the API. 

I hope this helps! 

Raju456KUMAR
Visitor
1 0 1

This is very informative knowledge and I got the whole process. Thank you so much @Victor sir

[url=https://myhindistudynotes.blogspot.com]My Hindi Study Notes[/url]
Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Raju456KUMAR,

No problem at all! It's my pleasure. Thank you for the kind words.

Kind regards,

indianpetal
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi. I have setted PayPal Express in my Payments but it is not colleting payment from my internation customers. They continuously complaining of Transaction Failure. I have checked with my PayPal Account and everything seems to be OK and working fine.

Could you please help me in this.

arunsharmaseo
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I am not able to activate Paypal Express Checkout option. I have valid Paypal account, but when i am going to connect with shopify, nothing happened.

Please help.

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @arunsharmaseo 

Happy to help you with this!

Can you please let me know exactly what steps you are taking? Also, if you're receiving any error messages in particular please let me know what they say. 

As a troubleshooting step, please try to connect your account within an incognito window inside of Google Chrome. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

loki1
Visitor
2 0 0

hi @Elle @Victor 

i have added both paytm and cashfree but my customers cant pay the money at the checkout. it shows your payment can be processed for technical reasons. try again or use a diffrent payment. please help us in this issue with=out payment gateway it make huge problem.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 18.29.16.jpeg

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @loki1,

Thank you for getting in touch and for sharing that screenshot. Have you been able to process any payments via these gateways on your store, or have they not worked since you enabled them as activate gateways? When did you create your merchant account with Cashfree and PayTM?

Kind regards,

loki1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Victor 

My customers tried to pay through these payment gateway but all the payment is gone through abondened checkout. it's been one month our website is launched and I have integrated about one month. In test payments it is working but in real transaction it shows like this which I have shown in the screenshot

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @loki1,

Okay, I see. I'll need to take a closer look at your store to try and determine the issue, so will email you shortly and authenticate you on your store. Please look out for my email and get back to me there so I can continue to help.

Kind regards,

NG_TT
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Victor and @Elle,

I am looking for a solution for my website where certain products are prepaid only and certain can be COD as well. 

The customer can see if on the product page if a certain product is COD or Prepaid. 

At check out, I need split payment options where customer can pay for the prepaid items and is allowed to select COD for the COD items. 

Apologies if this has been asked too many times already. I wasn't able to find an answer despite searching extensively!

Thanks in advance,

Neha

Weyday
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Shopify,

I'm using Advanced COD for India app for Cash on Delivery orders.

But, I'm seeing lot of scam/bogus purchases without proper Phone Number, Email ID or even Address. Is there way to verify their phone number with OTP without adding any apps.

Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deva.

Elle
Shopify Staff
1092 97 208

Hi, @Weyday 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing an increase in scam orders, that's definitely frustrating! 

Currently, SMS verification at checkout is not a core feature of Shopify. Our developers are aware that this feature has been requested, and we do hope to offer this in the future!

As a workaround, you can make customer accounts required to purchase or use the FraudLabs app for OTP verification. 

Cheers, 
Elle

Weyday
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you Elle for your support, appreciate it.

GUPTA
Visitor
1 0 0

hi

i am unable to link payment plan as credit card, bank transfer etc...i have only paypal which is linked to my store...

please help..

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @GUPTA,

Shopify does allow merchants in most countries to pay for their subscription via PayPal, and you can add your PayPal account as a payment method in Settings > Billing. Do you see this option if you head to this area of your admin? It should look like this:

21-02-lj6d3-2yx13

Kind regards,