Regional Support: Shipping (UK)

Solved
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @UnSealed,

Thank you for getting in touch, and for detailing your current shipping setup. It sounds like you are using shipping profiles to differentiate between the different types of products you sell, and one of the intended behaviours of using shipping profiles is that shipping rates for multiple profiles will be combined at checkout if the customer has chosen products from one profile or more to add to their cart. I also believe that the reason why the local delivery and Click & Collect options are not available when products from different profiles are combined is because these shipping/ collection options have not been made available to all products in the customer's cart.

Can you tell me if the products you have are shipped from the same location? If the customer does have a mixture of products from different profiles, such as eco-home products and refills, what shipping rates and options would you want to appear?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Amels
Explorer
49 1 14

Hey, @UnSealed 

Unless you're on the most expensive Shopify plan or you pay monthly for a shipping app like Better Shipping the shipping profiles are always going to be added together at checkout. The only hack I've found around this is having one shipping profile making it weight-based and inflating the weight of certain products that need to be charged more. This way a flat rate shipping rate will be calculated (the highest one) and even if the customer also adds smaller items into the basket it will all be under one amount.

This will of course affect the weight in any of the third-party shipping solutions. For Example, if you use Click & Drop the inflated weight will have to be adjusted to the correct weight so you can pay the correct shipping price.

I hope that makes sense.

0 Likes
UnSealed
3 0 0

Hey Amels,

Thanks for the reply - i suspected that was going to be the only way unfortunately but was hoping there was some free miracle work round !! I just feel awful charging £3 postage on a product that only costs £2.50 and plus the customer will see how much the postage actually was on the postage label.....

But my other problem, and i guess more urgent to sort is that it lets items that are not eligible for shipping go through checkout to be shipped if there is also an item in the basket that is eligible for shipping......

0 Likes
UnSealed
3 0 0

Hi Victor,

Yes all products are shipped from the same location. So i guess different shipping profiles will not work for me then ???

What i would like it to do in an ideal world is... if a customer puts a shipable product as well as a non shipable product in their basket then at checkout it defaults to click and collect or home delivery (If they are in the catchment area ) for all items.

Hope that makes sense

thanks Kayleigh

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @UnSealed,

I would say if you do not want the shipping rates to stack as they do currently, then moving the products to the same shipping profile may be the best option. Shipping rates will always combine if the products in the cart are in different profiles, and/ or are fulfilled from multiple locations.

In terms of your current set up, do you currently have the local delivery and Click & Collect options set as manual rates, or are you using either Shopify's local delivery feature or any third-party apps?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Alexander_Picke
1 0 1

Shopify,

What on earth have you been doing the past few years? Absolutely unacceptable to suggest that you can't have this issue solved immediately. The fact of the matter is that this problem earns you extra money at the expense of your core customer base, via higher paid price plans and paid app commissions.  

Can we get a time frame on Northern Ireland being taken out of the rest of the UK and Highlands & Islands (Zone 1-4) etc being added to the BASIC SHOPIFY PLAN.  If not, we are migrating multiple shops to another platform within the week. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @Alexander_Picke,

Thank you for getting in touch and I can sympathize with your concerns on this issue. This is something many merchants have requested and I know how impactful not being able to split the United Kingdom into more specific countries and regions is for merchants in the UK. I do know that this is currently being looked at by our development team, and that we hope to have this changed in the not-so-distant future, but at this time I do not have any timeline on when this change might be made. I will be sure to submit your feedback and will post an update in this thread as soon as I hear more.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
em667
3 0 1

Wonderful summary! Thank you.

Peng15
2 0 3

Any more news on this please

0 Likes
philosophyalice
Excursionist
12 0 5

So shopify has now started adding England / Wales / Scotland / Northern Ireland to addresses in some weird way over the last couple of days.

When I say 'in some weird way' I mean that you can't see this on the admin panel but the country appears in our order notification emails.  I find this very odd and am currently in a chat with shopify support to try to find out what is going on. 

Obviously we do need a mechanism to identify orders from UK regions but I am quite sure most people don't want 'England' etc added to UK addresses as it just looks rubbish (London, England!) and potentially confusing if it makes its way on to shipping labels which is now happening for us as it is showing up in the address imported to our fulfilment service. 

I wish shopify would be a bit more transparent when making changes, or even consult users to ensure changes don't have negative effects.

Alice