Regional Support: Shipping (UK)

Highlighted
Excursionist
37 0 1

You REALLY need to allow Northern Ireland to be spilt up from Mainland UK in shipping settings.

I lose money on orders from N.I as I can't charge an increased price for shipping.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
501 28 71

Hi, @George_Greenhil 

I will be sure to pass this along as a feature request to our developers. 

In the meantime, you may be interested in the Better Shipping app which will allow you to set rates based on certain zip codes. 

Thanks so much for your feedback! 

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Explorer
85 3 17

Was it engineered this way? Do the developers have any say or contribution to the decision making process that leads towards certain features being developed and others not? 

I have tried to explain my dilemma here as clearly as possible.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Does-size-Doesn-t-Matter/td-p/659639

Any more advice or support would be greatly appreciated!

Just to clarify - I don’t need shipping labels or 95 % of shipping app’s features and cant afford an app 🥴 

I just need to give products different parcel sizes.

All the best

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
501 28 71

Hi, @Outer_net 

At this time Shopify does not support dimensional shipping. I understand your frustration and I'll be sure to pass along your feedback to our developers. 

Our product teams work together constantly to build and improve our product features. Your feedback is very important to this process. 

There are some workarounds you can use such as:

adding a fixed amount to your flat rates or a fixed percentage to your calculated rates.

- increasing your product prices to cover your shipping costs. 

Thanks again for reaching out. Our support is available 24/7!

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
85 3 17

Hi Elle,

Hey @Elle 

Thankyou for getting back to me.

I actually dont even need dimensional shipping ! The size doesn't matter neither the weight.

All I need to do is give shipping cost A to product 1 and cost B to product 2 

If product 1 is tubed print it will cost A to ship

and Product 2 is a print framed / glazed and bigger than the average person so therefore it will cost B to ship.

MY Issue is that I have Products Type - PRINTS and then 

Dimensional shipping would only come in useful for calculated rates not flat rates. 

All I need to do is assign Price B to product 2 and price A to product 1.

I dont need dimensional shipping I just need to not be stuck with the one size fits all approach that Shopify has decided to take in regards to shipping.

If you can think of a way I can get shipping cost  A to product 1 and B to Product 2 then I would be eternally grateful! You'll have payed it forward ?

Theres one simple question here - Can I get different shipping costs to different products and if so how ? 

I have prepared this sheet to start laying it all out if you or your colleagues have any ideas I would be so so very grateful!

As you will see in the sheet multiples of anything dont have any influence on the cost of shipping so columns Cost 3 - 5 and Cost 5 + can be ignored. Also the only difference between the sheets - Mounted Prints / Stretcher frame and Framed products is the ETA + 1 day.

I think that 2 opposing formulas are at odds here, dead weight shipping VS dimensional shipping. The fulfilment centre size only matters not weight. Shopify Weight can only matter size is stuck in default. However I fall right between as I already know all the cost for shipping  in the 5 different zones and that the factor influencing shipping cost being longest edge of the parcel, weight does play a factor but not as much as size.

Thinking aloud is it possible to not have any parcel sizes within Shopify settings and leave weight blank and to just assign a cost to certain product?

Alternatively interpolating the weight so 1 kg becomes 10 kg > to match required cost and so on? 

Maybe using a zone for each country

All the best

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
266 31 70

Hi @George_Greenhil,

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, as I understand the inability to do this has been a source of frustration for many UK-based merchants over time. As Elle mentioned, your feedback has been shared with our development team and will be considered by them when it comes to implementing changes to the platform in future. I personally hope this change is one we will see made before long, and I'll be sure to post here if any adjustments are made to the UK shipping zone in future.

If you have any further questions for me, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
37 0 1

Hi @Victor 

To be honest I got this sent over to the dev team before but nothing was added. This was about 2 years ago.

Still waiting. 

Thanks,

George

0 Likes
Highlighted

You can definitely get dimensional weight shipping with the Multi Carrier Shipping label app which allows you to set up : 

- dimensions for each product

- define multiple box sizes

- Based on this, it calculates the dimensional weight of the package and compares it with actual weight.

- Finally the app uses the higher of the two values and calculates rates based on that. So the rates are damn accurate.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

@Victor  Can you explain why New Zealand is split into 16 regions (along with a number of other countries) whereas the UK is just one? Surely if this can be implemented for other countries it can be implemented for the UK too? I don't understand what's preventing the dev's from implementing this feature. 

This is one area where Woocommerce is much better at the moment. You can even break down shipping rates by postcode and have different rates for different products. With no extra apps required. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
45 0 1

Hey everyone.

I’m just wondering how people offer pre-paid returns labels to their customers?

I currently send all my orders with Royal Mail and am looking for the best method to send pre-paid labels to customers who would need to return items.

Item are usually small parcels and weight less that 500g.

Thanks in advance.
Tom.

0 Likes