Regional Support: Shipping (UK)

Solved
philosophyalice
Excursionist
14 0 6

Hi Victor

We are still seeing issues with areas of England coming up as being in Wales, most recently addresses with Chester and Shrewsbury postcodes, eg in Chester, Prenton (Wirral), Ellesmere (Shropshire), Church Stretton (Shropshire), Shrewsbury (Shropshire), etc

What is the best way to report these and ask for a fix?  I have tried emailing shopify but didn't get a reply.  Would you be able to pass this on and ask shopify to check it has the correct Wales-England border please?

Thanks for your help,

Alice

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
948 83 224

Hi @EmmaSeren,

Thank you for getting in touch, and I can completely understand your frustration with the issues you've cited. Shipping prices are determined by the default package you have on file and the dimensional weight of the order is based on this package, which I appreciate is not always ideal when you sell products of varying sizes and weights that come would be shipped in a wide range of packing sizes. If you use calculated rates you can adjust them to a higher rate to try and account for this, even if this is not a perfect science. I understand that you don't wish to use third-party apps that come with a cost but the Boxify app is probably the best solution for you at this time (which comes with a $19 USD monthly charge).

I appreciate the points you have made here and will be sure to pass all of your feedback onto our development team. I know that this is a much requested feature so hope that in future changes to the platform will be made to allow for more packages to be considered when live rates are calculated.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
948 83 224

Hi @philosophyalice,

My understanding is that this issue you've referenced was expected when the roll out was made, with mapping every postcode to a zone not being a perfect science and this resulting in what you have seen. Our developers are aware of this and I am communicating all of the feedback I am receiving here to them directly. I do not know all of the technical details but my understanding is that the split of the UK zone is more complicated from a development standpoint than it may seem on the surface.

In terms of delivering your feedback, please continue doing so here if you have any to share, as I am speaking regularly with the developers working on this specific issue. I am not fully in the know in what exactly is being worked on but do know that work is being done to smooth out some of the issues raised as a result of the UK shipping zone split. I will post updates on any changes here if and when they come.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Tenpinshop
Excursionist
35 0 8

@Victor - the ultimate solution here would be for Shopify to allow UK customers to define shipping zones by UK postcodes (zip code), and for this to be "out of the box".
So, when a postcode is entered, it would be recognised and would determine delivery by the following 'areas' which most UK delivery services use.

With the UK being one of Shopify's top customers, having this sorted by yourselves rather than yet another expensive app would be welcome after this causing many a problem for many UK Shopify store owners over many years.

As a minimum, I even think if the set up for Spain (provinces) could be replicated, that would be an improvement on what is currently there. Having England/Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland shows a massive mis-understanding of how things work over here.

Happy to be corrected, but I think the UK zones should be displayed as

UK - Mainland (England, Wales, Most of Scotland)
UK - Northern Ireland
UK - Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark + a few other small islands)
UK - Offshore (Orkney, Shetland Isles, Scilly, Skye, Isle of Man + many more small islands)
UK - BFPO (British Forces - I think this is only served by Royal Mail + Hermes)

There are many custom built websites and smaller solutions that have solved this issue, I'm sure given the resources at Shopify, this shouldn't be too much to ask.

Get your Tenpin Bowling Equipment from Tenpinshop :)
0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
948 83 224

Hi @Tenpinshop,

Thank you for your feedback on this and your suggestions; I'll be sure to pass them on. I am not privy to the decisions our developers have made and are making with regards to this change, although I do believe that many different ways of splitting the UK zone were considered and there was no one perfect solution. The way it has been rolled out is indeed imperfect, but offers merchants some degree of flexibility that they did not have before.

As I've mentioned, this is continually being worked on and we may see changes come in the near future. I'll be sure to post updates if they come and will also monitor this thread for feedback.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Tenpinshop
Excursionist
35 0 8

Thanks @Victor

Look at how this courier breaks down UK in their drop downs, I think this would be a much better solution than the current one!

GIve us those areas to apply prices to PLEASE!

https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

Tenpinshop_0-1621977131304.png

Get your Tenpin Bowling Equipment from Tenpinshop :)
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
948 83 224

Hi @Tenpinshop,

Thank you for sharing this example here. I am not involved with the decision-making process for the way the UK shipping zone is being handled, but I have passed on feedback from others in this thread and will continue to do so. I have shared the example site you have provided with our development team and the way in which they have split their UK shipping options.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
amosmos
Shopify Expert
63 1 23

Hi @Victor,

Just wanted to suggest a solution to splitting the United Kingdom zone into different countries/ regions.

This tool: https://apps.shopify.com/shipping-by-map

Allows you to draw areas on a map to create custom shipping zones, each with their own costs.

Hope this helps,
Amos

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
948 83 224

Hi @amosmos,

Thank you for suggesting this tool. I will pass this onto our development team who are working on this feature in case they are not aware of it.

Kind regards,

0 Likes