Regional Support: Shipping (UK)

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 36 90

Hi @sgr,

I sympathize with this completely, and recognize that it's troublesome for merchants in the UK (especially to those shipping across the Irish Sea). We've also seen merchants from other countries and regions request more flexibility when it comes to their native shipping zone as well, so it's not just a problem for merchants shipping to the UK. I am not sure of the exact reasons why some countries are deemed necessary to split and others aren't, although it could be a case of not recognizing the importance of being able to split these countries in the past.

I know that this request has been logged numerous times via our internal feedback system and is something our development team are aware of and are considering. As there are hundreds of requests that are logged via this system, we cannot address and roll out each feature request we want to implement as quickly as might be the case in an ideal situation. That said, each time I have come across a merchant in the Community who has expressed a desire to be able to split the UK shipping zone, I have been sure to log that feedback. Generally, the more merchants that request a feature, the more likely it is to be implemented.

This has been a request made numerous times over the years, so I appreciate that it's a frustration being told that this is not a change set to be made imminently. I will continue to advocate for this change and submit feedback as often as I see it, and will of course be sure to update this thread if I receive confirmation that it is coming.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 36 90

Hi @Tom_D1,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. I know that the Royal Mail do offer a tracked returns service, which would allow your customers to easily access a returns label online. However, they do specify that this service is only available to merchants who receive over 20 returns a week (or 1000 a year). How many returns requests do you receive on average?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
45 0 1

Hey Victor,

Thanks for the reply.

We have around 5 a week so we don’t fall into that category unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!)

Thanks
Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
89 3 18

Hey Tom,

With RM it is handled through your OBA account - Log into your click & Drop portal and then you can follow these instructions.

You can pre generate a number of labels and include these in your shipments if you so wish.

You only pay for them if they are used.

Do you send an invoice or packing slip? You can even print it on the back of this to save on paper.

I am not sure about any automated apps that would handle this. 

You can update the tracking or send this url with the tracking number on the end - 

https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item?trackNumber= 

All the Best

Abbas

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 36 90

Hi @Tom_D1,

It looks like @Outer_net has a potential solution so I'd definitely recommend checking out what they have suggested. @Outer_net, thank you for your contribution!

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

Just to add my name to this list of people who need the United Kingdom splitting into different zones. Currently it is costing me money to ship items to Northern Ireland and there is nothing I can do until this is split up.  If i continue to keep getting orders from the UK i will unfortunately be forced to look elsewhere to another provider that does offer this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
338 36 90

Hi @St3v3,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I recognize how helpful this feature would be for merchants in the UK and I will log your feedback in our internal system, as I have done with others who've flagged this issue. It's been mentioned before in this thread, but an alternative option for the time being is the Better Shipping app, which offers greater flexibility in terms of localizing shipping rates.

Thanks again for posting your comment here and I appreciate your patience on this matter. I hope this is something we will see implemented before long.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Victor,

Yes I read in this thread that I could use the Better Shipping app to resolve this. But im not paying a monthly fee to do something that should already be apart of the current setup, just like it is in other countries.

As already stated, if I continue to receive orders from Northern Ireland and this is not implemented soon I will be left with little choice but to move to an alternative shop setup.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Adding name for option of split UK shipping rates, as mentioned by others, the lack of this option is costing us money where by other providers offer as standard.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 2

@sgr wrote:

@Victor  Can you explain why New Zealand is split into 16 regions (along with a number of other countries) whereas the UK is just one? Surely if this can be implemented for other countries it can be implemented for the UK too? I don't understand what's preventing the dev's from implementing this feature. 

This is one area where Woocommerce is much better at the moment. You can even break down shipping rates by postcode and have different rates for different products. With no extra apps required. 

Think I will be looking at Woocommerce then if they have this already in their setup and Shopify just seem to sit and do nothing even though other countries already have this option.

0 Likes