Removing "Billing Address" requirement when using custom manual payments?

Janneke
1 0 1

I've activated a Manual Payment method that allows the customer to check out without paying (using the site for an internal online ordering system). Is there a way to turn off the required Billing Address field? Having this mandatory field when customers are not required to pay should be an option I can remove, no? Any help is appreciated.

Andrew_C2
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
158 0 16

Hi Janneke!

I do wish I had a better answer for you but at this time it is not possible to remove the "billing address" field as a mandatory field from the checkout pages. The reasoning behind this step is to add it as a fraud prevention measure when collecting credit card payments. While this may seem odd to have it as a mandatory field for manual payment methods like you have described above, the checkout pages are hardcoded into our system and are not subject to coding amendment.

If it suits your business model, a possible workaround would be to process orders through our order creation feature, where you can bypass the requirement to collect a customer's billing or shipping address.

I hope this clarifies things for you :)

Andrew
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes