Require buyer to contact us for shipping

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 1

We need to set up a shipping call out for orders over $500. Any orders over $500 will require the buyer to contact us for shipping arrangements. Any suggestions on how to set this up would be much appreciated! We are using the Minimal template. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
313 27 66

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @heytheresigns!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

This is an interesting situation and the solution will depend on what you would like to occur with the customer at the checkout for the orders over $500. I'll outline a couple of possible solutions for you, but if there's something I'm missing, please let me know.

If you want your customer to be able to complete the checkout
You can create a shipping rate for orders over $500 and name it "Contact us for shipping" and label it as free. This means, your customers will be able to complete the checkout but know they need to contact you. We've got a great guide for setting up shipping rates here: https://bit.ly/3eNUUll.

If you don't need the customer to complete the checkout and be prompted to contact you
If you're happy for customers to not finalise their purchase at the checkout for orders over $500, you can set up your shipping rates for pricing up to $499.99. If a customer orders over that amount, they're greeted with a message that says "There are no shipping methods available for your cart or address". This can be customised to say anything you'd like, for example, "Please contact us for shipping".

To change this text, go to Settings > Checkout > Manage Languages. In the search bar, type in "No rates" and you'll see the first option to alter the text.

If you do choose this method, you'd need to create a draft order when the customer contacts you and add in their purchases and the agreed shipping cost. This will allow you to send them an invoice so they can make a payment and you can start processing their order.

Outside of the suggestions above, I'd suggest having a look at the Shopify App Store. The app store has a number of apps for different integrations. Apps like Order Limits are a great start.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 1 1

One more question. 

Is it possible to add a link (to our shipping page) from this rate block? Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 3.04.21 PM.pngto our shipping page 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
313 27 66

Hi, @heytheresigns!

At this stage, the checkout is unable to be edited, apart from the text itself in the language editor where you've changed the text. I'll be happy to pass on the feedback to our developers for considerations in a future release, though.

One way around this would be to add in a link to your Shipping Policy in the product descriptions. You can put a disclaimer that all orders over $xx would be subject to custom shipping prices and link the page there.

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes