Residential Shipping Cost- How can i charge only certain customers a fee if they are shipping to a residence?

Highlighted
7 0 0

We lock our site for only customers that sign up since we sell to retail stores or customers.  Some of our customers do not have store fronts and they do auctions or online business and we have to ship to their residence.  Our shipping app does not calculate the cost to send to a residence like our FedEx ship manager software does.  We will lose money on these customers if we can't do something about it.  Can you tell me a way to charge certain customers a flat fee or some kind of service fee for having it shipped to a residence?  I just don't want to penalize all our customers for a few and would rather charge them $15 for residential delivery or something.  I appreciate any suggestions.  We are on Shopify Basic and are using Bespoke for our shipping calculations with FedEx carrier rates.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 0 51

Hey, Isaiah!

My name's Aaron, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

There's a couple ways that you could go about this, without resorting to hiring someone to assist with so e custom code:

Hope that's helped!

Cheers,

Aaron | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
34 0 2

The app we develop, Advanced Shipping Rules, allows you configure different rates for different groups of products that then get combined intelligently at checkout for your customer. 

We also integrate with FedEx, and we do automatic address detection for Residential/Commerical and get the proper rate from FedEx. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

You can provide FedEx Home Delivery service at checkout based on the shipping address using FedEx Rates, Labels and Tracking app. The app uses the FedEx address validation API to classify the address as residential address or not and automatically provide the FedEx Home Delivery at checkout if the address is residential. 

Also, the app lets you add a flat rate or a percentage amount to all the FedEx services. So, if you want to charge the customers based on the residential address, you can add a flat rate to the FedEx Home delivery service.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

FedEx API by default segregates the address as 'Residential' or 'Commercial'. This happens if you have enable 'Address Validation' in your FedEx account. Once this is done, FedEx will characterise the address and based on that, a solution should be able to charge residential or commercial rates and show Ground or Ground Home delivery for it. So, if you are using your own account for rates, it is better to approach the FedEx team, get it enabled and then use an app that segregates the service based on the address validation.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes