Restrict Afterpay for specific items

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi all

Is there a way to restrict payment methods for specific products.  For example not allowing Afterpay for a specific product/collection.  Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1495 54 167

Hi Andy, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a really good question, but it's not something which would be possible. The reason being is because the payment gateways apply to the checkout and not products themselves. I think your best chance for a workaround with this would be a split payment app. You can see some of the most popular split payment apps below:

I know this isn't an exact solution but due to how the system is built it's just not possible to do this natively. Hopefully, you can find a way within the split payment apps for it to work. 

Don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply. I will look into these apps and run past Afterpay to see if acceptable

The obvious next question is how do other Shopify stores manage this if they offer gift cards and have Afterpay - surely we cant be the only business?

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1495 54 167

Hi Andy, 

Sounds good, hopefully, you find one of the apps works to what you're looking for. 

Regarding the gift cards, once you have a payment gateway set up such as Afterpay, and you are on the Shopify Plan or above, you can sell gift cards. The gift card acts essentially as any other product would. When you fulfill an order with a gift card, the customer receives an email that contains a unique gift card code that they can use at checkout to redeem its value. You can see an example of how this might look from the screenshot below.

Shopify has a great section of information guides going through everything you need to know about gifts cards which you might find valuable and can see here

Hope this helps and answers what you're looking for. Any other questions, just let me know. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

The issue I have is that payment for Gift Cards by Afterpay is not allowed by Afterpay - if I am unable to restict Afterpay as payment then I will have to remove Gift Cards as an option and change our account level back to Basic.

We surely cannot be the only Shopify plan business that offers gift cards and has Afterpay - how do other stores manage this?

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1495 54 167

@Andy65 wrote:

The issue I have is that payment for Gift Cards by Afterpay is not allowed by Afterpay - if I am unable to restict Afterpay as payment then I will have to remove Gift Cards as an option and change our account level back to Basic.

We surely cannot be the only Shopify plan business that offers gift cards and has Afterpay - how do other stores manage this?

Hi Andy, 

No problem at all for replying. I see what you mean. If the problem is with Afterpay directly, it might be worth reaching out to Afterpay about it? If it's something Afterpay is stopping you from being able to sell, that is their choice. The alternative could be to choose a different payment gateway. I'm not sure where you are based, but if you are in the USA, Australia, New Zealand where Afterpay is available you could look into using Shopify Payments instead. 

Shopify Payments essentially eliminates the hassle of setting up a third-party payment provider or merchant account and having to enter the credentials into Shopify. Some of the main advantages of Shopify Payments are  0% transaction fees compared to other payment gateways as well as refunds, chargebacks, payouts and more can all be managed from within Shopify. There would be no need to use an external dashboard/websites you would with third party gateways such as Afterpay. Another beneficial feature in beta with Shopify Payments is fraud protect. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes