Restrict Product Shipping by Country

1 0 1

We have new licensed products coming out soon on our storefront. The license for these products is very specific about what countries we can sell this product to online (for example, we can sell to Canada but not the US).

Is there a way to restrict shipping to countries where we don't have the license to sell? I've read this (https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/restrict-certain-items-to-be-sold-only-in-the-u...) about making the weight too heavy to ship to certain countries. However, our products use automatically generated shipping prices based on the weight of the product, so we need to keep them accurate for the countries where we have the license.

We can add messaging about where the products are available for purchase, but I'd like to make it foolproof so that we don't have to refund any mis-orders. Is there a way to do this?

1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I need this same ability, anyone know of any apps that will allow this?

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

People keep asking for this, and there has never been a real solid response if it's in development, or when it may actually be released. If you Google this request, you will see that this has been a request since 2009. Yet, no one from Shopify says anything. 

0 Likes
6 0 0

I need this as a solution too! Please keep me updated if you guys come across anything that solves this.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Have you tried creating different shipping zones?  From what I can tell, it's possible to create the exact zones you want to ship to.  You could set it up country by country and then test it by attempting to order, and list an address in a country which you haven't created a zone for.  I would imagine that shopify would give them an error, since there is no existing zone for that country.  

I also read that you can install a shopify app which will block certain users based on their IP address (location data).  

Let me know if either of these things do or don't work for anyone posting in or reading this thread.  I'm in the process of setting up a shopify store and would like to find out the answer to this before I open my store.  

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

This does not work on the product level. You can setup shipping zones if you want to exclude a country - however, it will exclude that country for every product in your store. But it wont let you do it on a product level.

For example:

If you want Product A to be shipped worldwide, but Product B to not be shipped to Mexico... you wont be able to set that up. It gets even more complicated if you have many different products.

I personally have categories of products that can be shipped worldwide, and other categories that can only be shipped to north and south america. I am forced to not allow ANY of my products to ship outside of North and South America because of Shopify's inability to adjust shipping options on a product level. 

The worst part of all this isn't the fact that Shopify doesn't have this simple and expected feature. It is Shopify's unwillingness to let anyone know if they're working on it or not. You can dig through years of requests for this feature - and you will not find any real response from Shopify. In the long run, you're better off building your own ecommerce platform - or switching to one that can have some real customizability... or at the very least... transparency with their development plans. 

1 Like
2 0 0

Oh, I understand now - the product level is what is needed.  I guess I didn't understand the original need well enough.  That does seem like a tricky issue.  Let us know if you ever find a solution to this Jack!

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 4

I am looking for the same solution. We have certain products we can sell in Canada and elsewhere but not in the USA. There should be an easy way to set any restrictions at the product level not for the whole site. Certainly this is a fairly common issue with licensed or patent etc. restricted items. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
695 36 99

Hey, @bmlvail!

While our teams are actively looking into getting further shipping features added to the platform this type of feature isn't yet available. As it stands to create product-specific shipping rates will require the use of a third-party app. Here are a few to consider: 

The only catch with these apps is that they require your account to have the "CCS" feature which comes at a cost of $20 per month, or free with an annual payment to your monthly Shopify subscription (10% savings on the plan, $240 savings on the feature). Outside of this, I have gone and added your vote to our existing feature request so our teams are aware there is further interest in getting this added to the Shopify Platform. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 4

Hello- Thanks but I need this at the product level not the whole site and the question is not related at all to shipping rates. 

We have new licensed products coming out soon on our storefront. The license for these products is very specific about what countries we can sell this product to online (for example, we can sell to Canada but not the US). Is there a way to restrict shipping to countries where we don't have the license to sell?

Ideally, I should be able to highlight a product in the cart with a flag that says "this is not available in the country you have selected" or something along those lines. Pretty simple.

There should be an easy way to set any restrictions at the product level not for the whole site. Certainly this is a fairly common issue with licensed or patent restricted items.

1 Like