Restrict one product to just one state

Highlighted
3 0 0

I'm in Ohio, and I sell a food product.  One of my products has meat in it.  If I sell the meat product accross state lines, I have to open a huge bag of worms with FDA Meat Inspections (pun not intended).  If I only sell in Ohio, I can work directly with the Ohio Department of Agriculture (who are more accomodating and understanding).

Is there a way to restrict my one product to only be sold to Ohio delivery addresses?  But still allow the other products to be sold/delievered anywhere?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
157 0 15

Hi Dickon!

In this case I would recommend that you adjust your shipping zones accordingly so that you have a separate shipping zone that covers the State if Ohio alone. This means that when you exclude Ohio for your general United States shipping zone and have a standalone Ohio zone only customers with an address in Ohio will be able to purchase this specific product as customers outside of Ohio will find that no shipping rates are pulled for their non-Ohio address. 

Then once you have that Ohio zone set up, you can add a shipping rate to that zone that covers the exact weight or price of that product. So here you would add a shipping rate based on weight or price, but the weight/price would directly correspond with the listed weight or price of the product, so this will be the only rate that is pulled at checkout. This is a useful tactic for a store with a small list of products.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 4

This is a pretty ridiculous workaround for a common challenge: Individual SKUs may need to be blocked in certain states for various reasons: Maybe they are legally disallowed by certain states (such as CBD-containing products, adult toys), or companies are offering highly perishable products that can't be shipped to all states. But they don't want to block a state's access to ALL products, just some. How do you suggest solving this?

Highlighted
1 0 1

Have you figured out a better solution to restricting customers purchases to a certain set of states? Im having the same issue.

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hey Greg, were you able to find another alternative to this solution? I will be trying this but wondered if you had better luck with some other route.