Restricted Product Categories and Payments

MRiaz
Tourist
4 0 1

hi there

apologies if this has been covered elswhere im relatively new here. setting up an online pharmacy and its on the list of restricted products/ sectors for the shopify gateway. 

how would one get around this? using a third party payment gateway? (sage, worldpay, paypal etc?)

if so what would fees be/ are there any other workarounds to this?

regards and thanks in advance any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies 6 (6)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hey, @MRiaz!

If you're selling a product that falls under the prohibited business types in the Shopify Payments TOS, then you would need to look into using a third-party gateway as there wouldn't be a way around these restrictions. If you're unable to use Shopify Payments, then your account would be subject to a "transaction" fee which ranges from 0.5% - 2% per order which is based on the plan you select. 

Transaction fees are billed to you alongside your monthly invoice unless the amount surpasses your accounts threshold (there is a different threshold for every account). If your transaction fees exceeded the accounts threshold, then this amount would be charged to you immediately. Transaction fees would be in addition to what your payment processor may charge you to use their services. 

You could look into using Authorize.net, or eMercantBroker as these are two widely used payment processors when Shopify Payments can't be provided due to selling prohibited products. I'm not entirely sure what the exact costs are for these two services; however, speaking with them can provide insight into the costs you may incur if you chose to use them for your store. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

MRiaz
Tourist
4 0 1

many thanks really appreciate the info that was v helpful will look into the two gateways mentioned. i am also thinking off accepting payment via cryptocurrency ie coinbase. will this be possible considering that i cannot use the shopify gateway?

regards

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

If Coinbase is available for your region, then you should be able to offer this as a payment method within your store. What country will you be operating from?

dslee98
Visitor
1 0 0

How does Shopify justify charging a 2% - 0.5% transaction fee for using a third party gateway?  Third party gateways will charge higher fee to begin with for online sellers as they classify online sales as 'high risk'.  This extra fee has me considering a different platform.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 977

Hi, @dslee98

Transaction fees are standard amongst different online e-commerce platforms. Transaction fees will go towards paying for the cost of maintenance and upkeep of our integrations with 3rd party payment processors. These fees also contribute to ensuring our checkout remains secure and PCI compliant. 

Transaction fees also don't apply for manual payment methods. Manual payment methods include cash on delivery (COD), bank deposits, checks, test orders, and draft orders marked as paid or pending. Transaction fees don't apply for POS orders.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

MiraPatil
Excursionist
79 0 5

Hello @MRiaz 

recently i have posted a similar requirements like you. https://community.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-and/restrict-afterpay-for-specific-items/m-p/21437...  

you should different payment method to hide based on collection.

Can you please check and let me know if still having any questions.