Retail stores ordering on behalf of their consumers, shipping to the consumer.

Highlighted
4 0 0

Dear community, I have a consumer Shopify website and I also work with retailers. I would like the retailer to be able to order and pay for products on behalf of customers that are standing in front of them in the store. This means, the store is a customer in Shopify and the final customer is only a shipping address. The store gets a commission in the form of a percentage discount. Is it possible to do this and how many shipping addresses can 1 customer in Shopify have? Or should I invest in an iPad in the stores, so customers can order there and then and they will become my customers in Shopify?  Anyone with this experience or advice? Thank you for your advice!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
434 44 50

Hello, @wonders.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out!

I understand you’re working with retailers and you’d like for them to be able to order and pay for products on behalf of their customers. Then the retailer would receive a commission based on a percentage. 

Customers can have one shipping address on the order so a standard order might not be best for keeping track on the retailer and their commission. Investing in iPads for each retailer is also a big investment and will require you to create a staff account for each retailer, which gives them access to your Shopify account. This method can work; however, there will be manual work involved to calculate the commission and giving your retailers a percentage discount.

That said, there are third-party apps that can help keep track of your retailers and automatically provide commissions or discounts for your retailers (commonly referred to as affiliates). These apps do this by allowing you to create a unique link for each retailer, which they can use and put through orders for their customers. For this reason, I’ve handpicked a couple affiliates apps for you to look at:

If you need any help with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app’s page. 

I hope this provides a couple of options for you to look into. If you have any other questions on affiliates, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hi Elias, thank you for your email. If I put an iPad in the store, customers would have to order as if they are at home. So no help from the retailer. Any other suggestions without an app? I need to find out if the investment in Shopify is worth it and for each question I have another app is suggested. So I unless there is a proper solution in Shopify, I might have to reconsider Shopify.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
434 44 50

Hey, @wonders.

Thank you for following up. I can appreciate that you don’t want an app suggestion for every question; however, in this instance, an affiliate app is recommended as that is considered a proper solution. Affiliate apps allows your retailer to use any device that they have in-store, and customers will be purchasing directly off your website as if they were at home as well. 

The only difference here, is that the retailers are using a special link, created by the app, to your website. This allows their performances and commissions to be tracked automatically. Nonetheless, investing in an iPad and creating a staff account for your retailer is also an option. That said, this solution has its own set of challenges, as you will need to manually calculate their payouts or commissions, and create percentage discounts for them. 

I hope this clarifies your concerns. If you have any other questions on this topic, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hi,
Thank you. So how does this app handle all the different customers a retailer is ordering for? What about shipping addresses, what is the maximum amount of shipping addresses a retailer can have? So not multiples addresses per order, but multiple addresses by customer?
Can each order have a different shipping address?
Thank you for your reply.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hi,
Thank you. So how does this app handle all the different customers a retailer is ordering for? What about shipping addresses, what is the maximum amount of shipping addresses a retailer can have? So not multiples addresses per order, but multiple addresses by customer?
Can each order have a different shipping address? Calculating commissions is not so hard if the retailer orders on behalf of their customers, it can be manual, no app needed for that.
Thank you for your reply.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
434 44 50

Hey, @wonders.

Thanks for the follow-up again. Affiliate apps will handle different customers by allowing them to place their orders directly on your website, just like shopping online from home. Rather than seeing a point-of-sale system, they’ll be able to see your website and learn about your brand. Customers will be able to have their items shipped directly to their address, and they’ll be able to update or change their address for new or subsequent orders as well. I understand calculating commissions is not too difficult; nonetheless, the app will use the unique referral link to track and help you calculate the commissions for each retailer automatically.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

0 Likes