SHOPIFY is asking for personal data (ID, business licence, shipping data, etc.)

Highlighted
2 0 1

Recently I got e-mail from Shopify (have Shopify account since 2014) that request a picture of my ID (government issued) otherwise my money will be hold by Shopify. So, I send picture of my ID (I do not like this regarding safety of my personal data). I got another e-mail that I need to provide additional data:

In order to complete this initial review and ensure payments continue to be sent to your account we would need a little bit more information.

If you could send me any business creation documents you may have to validate the business that would be great. Examples would be, business bank statement, business license or business registration documents.

If you are a new sole proprietorship, can you point me to any social network presence you may have that is generating traffic for your business.

We would also need 2-3 examples of tracking tied to their order numbers to validate shipment of some of your orders."

So, when I asked more question why needed all this information and more detail explanation, here what I got next text:

"Accounts come up for review at various processing stages for various reasons. If you can supply the requested information in response to this email we can certainly look to complete the validation and move forward."

I have account with Shopify since 2014. This recent activity is very suspicious. 

Please, if answer if this is "normal".

Thank you

Peter

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10007 116 1823

Hey Peter - This is a general process with many payment gateways and their underwriting procedures. I assume you're using Shopify Payments (since the email came from Shopify) so this is what it will relate to. 

If you're at all concerned please reach out to Shopify support directly and they'll be able to provide more info / validation.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Jason,

I did contact the Shopify support. I did not get more info at all. I got answer: Sorry for your trouble BUT you have to concat back the original person that did not provide any specific information.

Peter

PS: For example: How are you going to react if I will hold your money and told you that I will give your money back only when you will send me your ID, credit card information, your bank account information including balance, etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10007 116 1823

The main thing is be aware of is if the request is from Shopify or not. Sounds like you are in touch with someone there.

The verification process that gateways have can be a bit of a shock first time round. Having gone through the same process before with various gateways (PayPal included) I'm far less phased by it. It would be super if it wasn't required, but the gateway likely needs to cover their butt for risk and as part of an ongoing obligation to help protect the consumer. It is common practice.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1
PLEASE BE ADVICED: A STORE WITHOUT SALES: 

Background:

I opened the store in shopify around January 2020, all information requested was provided. Including the corporation name and bank details and information. (The bank has all my information)

Since then, spent over 1000 hours minimum in the "store" yet, NO SALES, except a dollar I spent to see if it worked.

All of the sudden , in October, shopify send a request for my personal information, providing them with my drivers license removing the dl number.

Rejected over and over again, even claiming the birth date was wrong! A False claim by shopify.

It is my legal right to Know:

1) Who is requesting this information exactly ?
2) Why now?
3) Why the id sent is been rejected?
4) To whom my id will be "Shared" with, providing name and address:
5) Provide Your name,  and legal address that cannot be PO box for registered mail.
Highlighted
1 0 0

I started Shopify in January 2020. I remembered that I have already uploaded info like business information, ID when I first registered the Shopify account. But I got this email as you did yesterday. And asking me to provide 

Photo ID - Front

Government-issued ID (e.g. passport or driver's license)

Photo ID - Back

Back of Government-issued ID (e.g. passport or driver's license)

Proof of address

Utility bill (e.g. water, electricity, or gas bill from the past 3 months), lease agreement (dated) or property insurance (dated)

Proof of business association

Business license, business registration documents (with company number) or business tax filing record

Proof of Inventory

Dated invoices from supplier outlining quantities or dated manufacturing agreement

Shipping information

Please update your Orders in Admin with valid tracking information for each order.

there are more info needed. I don’t think it is standard review as Shopify claims. 

0 Likes