SMS order confirmation to landline numbers

4 0 0

Hi. If anyone could help me with this!  We place a lot of our orders in Admin, and a lot of our customers don't have email or mobiles, so give their landline numbers. Is there anyway to turn off SMS messaging for order/despatch confirmation  to these customers as they are getting automated messages to their home phones which is causing confusion for them.  But for those that do have email, I still want them to receive an order/shipping confirmation.

Any help appreciated!

Amanda

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
188 23 42

Hi @Amandagos,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The order notification needs to be sent somewhere and cannot be disabled, as it serves as a customer's receipt for their online purchase. The customer will need to provide either an email address or a phone number for the receipt to be sent to, so if they do provide only a landline number, the system will recognize that as a number to send the SMS message to. There is not a way to turn off this notification for phone numbers when they are used instead of email addresses.

Usually, I'd say it's best to make it mandatory for an email address to be provided, with a phone number as an optional requirement. Do you have a rough idea of how many of your customers do not have email addresses they can provide? I would say from personal experience shopping online that an email address is a requirement for the vast majority of online stores and platforms.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0
Thank you Victor for coming back to me so quickly. We operate both online
and take phone orders. Many of our customers are senior citizens and like
to make a phone call rather than online! Not sure what we can do about it
other than warn them that it is likely to happen.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
188 23 42

Hi @Amandagos,

I figured that might be the case! Do you find the majority of customers who do not have an email address call up and order over the phone? If so, do you just place their order for them via the online checkout, or do you process their order via the draft orders feature?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Hi Victor
Thank you for your reply. We create order from admin - create order-
rather than draft order. We don’t place for them on front end of website.

Some of the issue is historical as data has come from another system which
has populated the contact field with telephone number.

Any help appreciated

Amanda

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
188 23 42

Hi @Amandagos,

Okay, thank you for confirming that. When you create these orders, do you then choose the "Pay with credit card" option and process the order with the customer's credit card details over the phone? If so, have you tried doing this without entering in an email or phone number?

Kind regards,

0 Likes