Selecting Local Pickup for Draft Invoices emailed to Customer

bmcrawford
Visitor
1 0 13

Most of our Shopify sales begin with a draft invoice we create and email to customers.  We offer local pickup as well as shipping.  In the past we have used a custom free shipping option titled "Local Pickup".  Now we are trying to use the (new?) built-in Local Pickup feature, but we can't select that for draft invoices before sending to the customer.  So we can just not add shipping charges, but when the customer opens the invoice, the default option that comes up is UPS or USPS shipping (not Local Pickup).  So customers are asking why we are adding shipping charges when they always are local pickup customers.  Yes, they may be able to switch to Local Pickup during the checkout process, but that's not the point.  

We should be able to simply select Local Pickup before sending the invoice to the customer.  Am I missing something?

Yes, Local Pickup is enabled for the store.  We have only one location.

Thanks,

Brian

Replies 32 (32)

AcrylicBlanksCA
Visitor
1 0 4

I'm having the same issue, and would love to know what the solution or work-around is.

adreamer88
Visitor
1 0 5

I agree! I would to see it be an option when sending invoices!

DropsofSparkles
Excursionist
11 0 22

Having same issue!! Can anyone help?

chucklevins
Tourist
3 0 7

Would desperately like this to be available as well. This has caused issues with recording taxes correctly for local pick ups. If they come from a nearby state and the tax is different, we generally just have to eat the taxes. 

Would really love a way to select "Local Pickup" just like you can select "free shipping" on a Draft Invoice. Well overdue!

DropsofSparkles
Excursionist
11 0 22
I figured it out! Before you send invoice you have to click “shipppng” and
adjust it that way.
chucklevins
Tourist
3 0 7

Local Pickup is not an available shipping option on a draft invoice. Unless something literally changed today. 

jmcdowell
Tourist
3 0 3

I have not been able to set "Local Pickup" as default, but as a workaround I've started to include these instructions in my invoice email: 

Make sure to change the “Delivery” part to free “Local Pickup” so you don’t pay for shipping.

One issue I've ran into tho is that certain payment types are not supported for Local Pickup...specifically my Paypal customers!

Customers see the Pick up option only if they meet the following requirements:

• All the products in the cart are eligible for pickup.
  • All the products are available in inventory at a pickup location.
  • The customer doesn't choose an unsupported accelerated checkout method. If they choose one of the following in the first step of the checkout then the pickup option is not available to them.

• Apple Pay
    • Google Pay
    • Amazon Pay
    • PayPal

Shop Pay is a supported accelerated checkout method pickup option. If a customer uses Shop Pay they will have the pickup option.

BestLife
Tourist
5 0 4

I just posted about this issue today before finding this thread!  I did the SAME as you and set up a local pickup option in my shipping, but that was BEFORE the actual local pickup option became available.  I'm finding that it's taking customers, when they click on complete your purchase in the invoice email, directly to the shipping page - but there is an INFORMATION page directly before the shipping page that has the local pick up option for them to choose!!  I want to know why it doesn't just send them directly to the information page first?!?!  Why is it skipping that page and going right to shipping?  Some customers have figured it out, but others have paid shipping and said they couldn't find the option for pickup, so I refund their shipping.  

jmcdowell
Tourist
3 0 3
agreed! Were any of them Paypal or Google pay methods? That might be why
they're not seeing the option.
BestLife
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes, I have a lot who go the PayPal route.  And they can get to the pickup option, but they just have to go BACK.  I don't understand why this is!!!!

Mike_Grusin
Excursionist
10 0 38

I really need this as well.

I get a lot of phoned-in orders that I make draft orders for. I can set the shipping to free which LOOKS like a local pickup, BUT it sets the tax base as their home address and not my location, which is INCORRECT and embarrassing to explain if they point it out.

(It's a different issue, but I also don't like that draft orders automatically and unavoidably send an invoice to the customer. I have many older customers who get confused by this, hence the fact that they called in their order in the first place.)

Local pickup is great for customer-initiated orders (thank you Shopfiy), but if it's not implemented throughout the site it's only a band-aid and not a complete solution.

Thank you, -Mike

mzent
Excursionist
13 0 18

See my other reply below on how to help speed up the process of this update. 

Mike_Grusin
Excursionist
10 0 38

I really can't believe this. Shopify just sent out a big "look at all the improvements we made!" ad campaign, and I expected things like this and the other small improvements we've been asking for for years to be included. They weren't. (If yours were, congratulations.)

SHOPIFY: If a customer can select local pickup when they order online, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE SAME THING WHEN WE MAKE A DRAFT ORDER.

I can create a $0 shipping option for this, BUT IT COMPUTES THE SALES TAXES FOR THE CUSTOMER'S ADDRESS, not mine, which is WRONG.

I can use the POS to create an order with the correct tax basis, but it doesn't do any of the "your order is ready for pickup" texts/emails, NOR will it let me send a link for credit-card payment LIKE A DRAFT ORDER WOULD. In addition, I have to pretend they paid to get the order into the system, and hope they actually pay later. Is this how you think we should run a business?

THIS IS STUPID. PLEASE ADD A LOCAL PICKUP OPTION TO DRAFT ORDERS. THANK YOU.

Mike_Grusin
Excursionist
10 0 38

I skimmed through that solution, but I did not see where it changes the sales tax location to the physical store (pickup) location. Does it?

TinyTrendsCo
Visitor
1 0 0

Right! It’s been 2 years and they still haven’t fixed this issue. 

mzent
Excursionist
13 0 18

Mike_Grusin, They don't look at these threads, you need to contact them and tell them to pass message to developers that you want this updated.   Here is exactly what she told me when I started a chat back in February: 

"That is currently not available, but hopefully it will be released with future updates. I am able to pass on your feedback to the developers to let them know that you are looking for this feature. The more people that ask, the greater the chances that it will be implemented!"

Pashlich
Tourist
4 0 20

You used to be able to click back to the infomation page like you mention but recenty there is no longer the option to choose between shipping/pickup if you click back (not only that, but you can't add a new address or change it even though the option is there for it. Not sure how recently this has changed but you still could a couple of months back). Anyone else noticed this recently??

mzent
Excursionist
13 0 18

I contacted Shopify Support Chat today to ask the same question as I want to choose "local pickup" when I create a draft order.  Here was her response:

"That is currently not available, but hopefully it will be released with future updates. I am able to pass on your feedback to the developers to let them know that you are looking for this feature. The more people that ask, the greater the chances that it will be implemented!"

So if you haven't done so already, contact them.  Let's flood them with this request so it gets added to future updates!

bbesemer
Shopify Partner
6 0 10

Gabe_Stillwater
Excursionist
22 0 32

Anyone heard of any movement on this issue yet?

mzent
Excursionist
13 0 18

Unfortunately no movement! 😞    They don't look at these threads, you need to contact them and tell them to pass message to developers that you want this updated.   Here is exactly what she told me when I started a chat back in February: 

Ccarrico
Visitor
2 0 1

Agreed, this should be a simple fix. Just like customer's can select different shipping options and local pickup, we should be able to create an invoice and select local pickup as a delivery option. 

mzent
Excursionist
13 0 18
Ccarrico, remember to also send your opinion directly to Shopify Support.
Unfortunately they don't read these comments and the more people who ask
for it the higher it goes on the list. It's all about demand. We need
more people contacting them. I did it again recently when I asked support
another question. It didn't sound like this request was even being worked
on 😞 Not enough people asking for it. 😞
Ccarrico
Visitor
2 0 1

Done and Done

ymelton
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi! I actually contacted about this today and they tried to say there was an option but I wasn't able to find it. My chat kept getting disconnected to discuss it further but I sent another message and now waiting for a response. Being able to choose other delivery methods other than shipping when doing draft orders would be super helpful.

DropsofSparkles
Excursionist
11 0 22

would love to know if this has been addressed!

chucklevins
Tourist
3 0 7
Still not addressed as far as I've seen!

OhGoodness
Visitor
2 0 1

Issue still not resolved. Disturbing given how simple the fix would be. One field. One database flag. 

If you ONLY use your site for local pickup vs shipping, and just want the local taxes to be charged, then a workaround would be to set the customer's shipping address to your local pickup address BEFORE you send the invoice. You can do this when you create or edit the customer. Then the tax will calculate based on your pickup location instead of the credit card billing address (which may be out of state). The customer could potentially change their shipping address to another address during the transaction, so this is not a perfect workaround for sure. I have placed yet ANOTHER request for the developers to address this. Ugh.

Mike_Grusin
Excursionist
10 0 38

I don't know if this is common knowledge yet, but I discovered that Shopify recently added local pickup to draft orders.

To select local pickup when creating a draft order, the customer must have an address entered (which is counterintuitive). You can then go to "add shipping or delivery" in the payment area and you should see a local pickup option. (I believe if you send a draft invoice to a customer they can also select the local pickup option themselves.) Thank you to Josh in Shopify support for helping me with this, and thank you Shopify for adding this badly needed (to me at least) feature!

local.PNG

OhGoodness
Visitor
2 0 1
Why is the feature tied to a shipping address that isn't relevant to the
transaction at all?? All items have to be set as "shippable" in the order
for this to work. No offense, but it seems like you addressed the issue in
the most problematic way you could find. Please fix this.
rv4bsh
Visitor
1 0 0

Unfortunately this isn’t updating the sales tax. It’s allowing the Local Pickup option but is still using the customers shipping address to calculate sales tax instead of the physical store local pickup address. Anyone know if there is a setting or something to change this? 

StevieB
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the answer!    On draft, put in shipping address (usually same as billing address).  Then choose Local Pickup.  Once order is placed, the order will say "No shipping address provided" and it will show "Pickup" instead. The sales tax rate that will be charged is the rate at the pickup location, not the shipping address sales tax rate.  (I checked.)   All works fine if you do it this way.