Selling at pop-up markets while online store is closed & not shipping - is it possible?

Highlighted
10 0 0

We will be traveling away from our store and not able to ship. We will be doing pop-up markets while we travel, so we need to use the POS; however, we do not want anyone to be able to order off the website while we are gone. Is that possible? Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 118

Hey, John.

I’m Lizzy. A Guru on Shopify’s support team.

There are a few ways you might be able to achieve this.

The first way would be to add a password page to your site. With this set up, nobody without the password would be able to access the products. You could also edit the password page to mention you’re away and encourage people to sign up for a newsletter to get updated on when the store is open again.

A second option would be to remove the “Add to Cart” option from your product pages. If you’re comfortable making coding adjustments, you can do this by creating an alternate page template. This page here explains how to do that. When you’re back and ready to start shipping again you can switch the template back to normal and the button will reappear. Before making any changes to the theme code I always like to suggest duplicating your theme. You can do this by going to Online Store>Actions>Duplicate. This way you have a backup.

Next, you could delete all of your shipping options. Without shipping options, customers won’t be able to complete a checkout for products requiring shipping. This may confuse customers however, and would require you to recreate any shipping options you have set up upon return.

Finally, you could temporarily switch your plan to the Dormant plan while you’re away. This would reduce your monthly fees to $14/month and disable your checkout. It would also mean that you couldn’t use the POS, however you could create another account, to be used while you’re away on the Lite plan for $9/month. In this account you could just add the products that you’ll be selling while on your trip and only have the POS channel active.

Were you hoping to have customers still able to view your products and pages while away, or were you thinking of closing the site down entirely during your travels?

Thank you,

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Thank you for all the suggestions, Lizzy.  We will have to consider all the options, but you gave us some great ideas. We don't want to shut down the store while we are gone. Since we are doing pop-ups, we want customers to be able to look at the website. We feel like we are forging new ground here. With all your ideas we should be able to come up with a solution. The part I don't understand is how to delete the shipping options; will have to revisit that.

I really appreciate the response; thank you.

Betsy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 118

You're very welcome Betsy!

That's really exciting. It sounds like removing the Add to Cart button may be a good choice in that case. If you do decide that removing the shipping options is something you'd like to try, feel free to let me know which part was unclear and I'd be happy to dive into it further for you.

Best of luck during your travels!

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes