Setup Minimum order dollar amounts

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi,

We have out wholesale website nearly compelted and we're looking to restrict small orders and only allow checkout if the amount is $500 or more. How can I do this with the basic Shopify plan? I've found some older threads, but they all look outdated so I'm afraid they won't work.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 90

Hi there!

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify!

No problem!  There's a couple solutions I can suggest for this:

• You could select your shipping rates by price, and start the rates based on a cart parameter of $500 to start and go up from there.  That way, if a customer attempts to go through the checkout with less value in their cart, they'll be informed that there are no shipping options for their location; you could make sure that customers are aware of this with notifications on your homepage and/or your product pages.
  • If that's not going to work for you, I'd recommend an app - Order Limits (MinMaxify) was designed with exactly this function in mind, and should suit your needs admirably!  It's a third party, paid app, but it does offer a 14 day free trial period, so you're free to try it out and see if it's right for your needs.

Hope that's helped!  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

This is a trivial feature to add yourself, totally not worth throwing away $60/year on an app.  Our approach isn't full proof, and anyone that is tech savy could defeat it, but it hasn't ever been a problem for us and I doubt it would for anyone:

I edited our store's code and on the cart.liquid page, I added an if statement that checked if the subtotal of the cart was below a certain amount, If it was it doesn't display the checkout options and instead shows some text that says "Minimum checkout is $X":

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 5

Hi,  

I found the most fullproof way is to do both what mihai suggested as well as what Alex suggested. 

1) Edit the code in cart-template.liquid. I used the following code as I found it to be neater: in the code below, if the order is below your minimum, then it will display a message "minimum order is $X" above the "continue shopping" and the "update" buttons. i found this to be neater then the message being displayed  in line with the two buttons.

<div class="cart__shipping">{{ 'cart.general.shipping_at_checkout' | t }}</div>
            <div> 
                  {% if cart.total_price < 5000 %}
                 <font color="#990000"> 
                   Minimum order is $50
                   </font>
               {% endif %}
            </div>
            <a href="collections/all" class="btn btn--secondary cart__update cart__continue--large small--hide" >{{ 'cart.general.continue_shopping' | t }}</a>
            <input type="submit" name="update" class="btn btn--secondary cart__update cart__update--large small--hide" value="{{ 'cart.general.update' | t }}">
            {% if cart.total_price > 4999 %}
            <input type="submit" name="checkout" class="btn btn--small-wide" value="{{ 'cart.general.checkout' | t }}">
            {% endif %} 

2) go into your admin home page, settings, select edit next to the country you wish to edit then under price based rates, select  "Add rate". In the window that pops up, set whatever shipping name you like, then in the minimum order price put the minumum order you as the same minumum you set in the above code. Select Done and then save your changes.

This method is fullproof in that if someone is a little tech savy and decided to trick the system by using a perma link to go into the checkout page without having reached the minimum order, they will have no shipping options to choose from.     

5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 5

PS: Pic of using permalink to enter checkout while still under minimum spend

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'll add that if you want to change the standard message from Shopify that there are no shipping options, you can go to Admin > Themes > Edit Languages > (search) "no rates". This will return a list of the messages that are shown to users when they haven't met the requirements, which you can alter to say anything you like (these are also liquid-compatible fields so you can get pretty creative with them).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 0 1

Hi @WholesaleWorld1 ,

We've actually just released a wholesale app, which includes this feature, that can be applied on a per customer basis.

The app is called "Wholester" and is a plug-and-play wholesale sales channel connected with your Shopify account.

You can check it out here: https://wholester.io

Here is an example of this, where a "Customer Group" is created, which can then be applied to each customer:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 6.59.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 7.00.58 PM.png

Then, when creating orders, this customer will be forced to reach a minimum order value prior to checking out:

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 7.02.50 PM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi George

Are you able to use similar code to apply to quantity rather than value? So minimum order is say 3 units rather than a value of $X?

Thanks

Nigel

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Dear George Bou-Rizk,

Can you simply share which part of the script should insert to which line? or replace which line?

I am not familiar with the code.

Or can you show me what is before or after.

Thanks.

B Rgds,

Tony

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi George Bou-Rizk,

I have the same concern as Tony.  I am not familiar with the code.  It will be very helpful if you can share exactly where and how we can update Shopify store so that when customer order is below minimum order value, they will not be able to proceed with the check out and at the same time, a message “Minimum order is $X” appear and customer will have to click on the continue shopping button to continue shopping.  Appreciate your help and advise. 

0 Likes