Ship multiple boxes for a single order??

Highlighted
1 0 2

Hi Shopify Community,

My store frequently has to ship a single order in multiple boxes to the same shipping address.  Currently there is no way for the fullfilment team to add multiple tracking numbers to a single order and the new/awesome purchase and print shipping labels feature does not have an option to make multiple lables for one order.  Can some one on the Shopify team pass this message on as feature request or give me info on when this feature will be avalible?

thanks

2 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi Luke, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Multiple tracking numbers on a single order is something which is possible but does require a slight workaround. Let's go through the steps on how to do this below:

1. Go to the order in question (Main admin > Orders > Order in question
  2. Change the quantity of the item you want to add the tracking number to, to 1 and the other items to 0. You can see a demonstration of this from the screenshot below. ​​​​​​
  3. Once you have input the tracking number for this item you can click fulfill to update it. The order will then be updated and leave the remaining product to fulfill.
  4. Once you have it done for one product, just repeat the process for the other products in the order with their unique tracking numbers. 

I made a short video also going through the process which you might find useful. You can see it here. I'll also be sure to let our team know your feedback about this for future consideration on making the workflow an easier process from you. 

In the meantime, I hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about anything. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I have a retail and wholesale business, https://autentico-paint-usa.com, both are on the same Shopify website.  The retail side is fine it's the wholesale side that's been a mess.  I use the app Wholesale Hero and offer many different ways to ship and have accounts with all my shippers that offer great discounts to my customers.

When a wholesale customer places a large order that order will be shipped in multiple boxes, neither Shopify nor any of the shipper's apps allow for multiple labels/tracking number for SINGLE ORDER shipments.  And the other issue that's popped up is that I get a better discount thru my shippers than Shopify does but the final cost of shipping defaults to Shopify's discount and not mine!  

I just had a new stockist place a $6000.00 order for paint and related products and had to have them and all my other stockists email me their orders because of this shipping issue so I'm anxious to get this resolved so I can focus on building my brand and selling paint!  Any help would be greatly appreciated and if theirs a Shopify expert who is experienced with this I would love to know who they are :). 

Will the solution you offered work with my UPS, Fedex, USPS apps/discounts?

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi Jayne, 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. 

That is a very good question. I haven't come across whether this would work with a UPS, FedEx or USPS yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't. The method I mentioned above should work for all orders as it asks for a carrier in the screenshot. Here you can mark the carrier for UPS, Fedex, USPS or whichever carrier you use and then add the tracking number in the text boxed marked as such. I made a short video on how to do this in my original response above also. You can even have multiple carriers and their own tracking numbers for different products within one order. Hope it helps and answers your question. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 4

Yes, this feature would be very helpful. We ship heavy items in multiple boxes. So 1 set of our 200 lb weights ships in 3 separate boxes, each with its own tracking USPS number, but all going to the same customer. Having multiple tracking number fields to fill in per order seems like it should be an easy thing to implement.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

The app can package products and create labels for them in the following varying ways : 

- Weight based : You can set up a weight cap beyond which a new box will be selected. So if you have an order that contains 30 kgs and a weight cap of 10Kgs is set, then in total 3 boxes will be selected to pack the complete order. Hence 3 labels will be generated for the same.

- Quantity based : If you are selling something like wines in your Shopify store, then you can very easily define the number of wine bottles that can go inside a box. So if you define the number to be 10, as soon as the eleventh bottle comes up, it will be packed in a separate box. So in total you have 2 labels. 

- Stack items based on height : If you have products that are similar in dimensions or if you have a single product that you are selling, this option is the right choice for you. Basically, the algorithm of the app stacks each product on top of another and calculates the height of it. If the height breaches a pre-defined limit, another box is selected and subsequently multiple labels are generated for it.

As you can see, depending upon the nature of your business packaging varies. If you need any help with your packaging setup, you can reach out to the apps' support.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 8

IF you are using a fulfillment platform to handle shipping these options are useless. Most companies are going to get MUCH better rates that Shopify offers, but we are not able to save multiple tracking numbers to an order. Just one more reason Shopify is not an enterprise platform.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello @Luke_Holmboe,

If you are using FedEx as your shipping carrier, you can try the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app. Under the packing feature in the app, you can select "Pack items individually", which will enable packing each of the items in an order in separate packages.

You can enable or disable the FedEx services according to your choice and print labels for each of the packages. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello! I'm having the same problem and i'm not from US, using a local post office in my country. 

A single product needs two boxes. Each box gets it's own tracking number. How can i inform the client about both of the tracking numbers??

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

We've got the same problem. Anyone find a good solution for this yet?

0 Likes