Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
2 0 5

Shopify currently only allows 1 default box size when calculating shipping rates for customers at checkout.  This makes absolutely ZERO sense.  If you have an item like a baseball (shipping in a 4 x 4 x 4 box), then another like a basketball (shipping in a 12 x 12 x 12 box), either 1 will be undercharged or the other overcharged when selecting a default box.  

Why can't Shopify build this functionality into it's system, instead of referring customers to install 3rd party apps and paying more fees?  This issue seems to have been raised all the way back to 2008 (10+ years ago)?  This should be a simple fix on Shopify's part.  

Shopify, please listen to your customers and add this crucial functionality!!  

5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 19 61

Hi, @sydneysuh

My name is Rae and I work for Shopify. Thank you for reaching out to us about this - and welcome to the Shopify Community. 

I understand your frustration with our shipping rates being based around one default package only. For merchants that sell a variety of different products, I know this can pose a challenge with shipping costs. With this in mind, I appreciate you posting this so that we can read your feedback. 

I’m going to pass your thoughts and suggestions over to our developers so that they can read about your experience and better understand how the current functionality is impacting the way you run your business. Our team compiles this data and uses it when considering new features to add to the platform. If this feature is added, we will announce these changes in our changelog, and also on our Announcements page to keep our merchants in the loop. 

Thanks again for posting about this. This type of feedback is really valuable for our teams to have as we work to build and improve our platform. 

If you have any other feature requests, please also let me know and I would be glad to pass on these suggestions to our teams as well.

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 10

Well, if Shopify wants feedback I'll be happy to add some!  I have to agree--this shipping situation is a mess for those of us with a wide variety of product sizes and weights. Saying "use an app" is just....lame, to say the least. Dimensional weight pricing is in use by all shipping companies. For myself, we only have about 10 or 12 products, and sell only around 20 per year, of items that require dimensional weight pricing, so paying $40/month for Boxify or somewhat less for Parcelify, is a waste of money, especially for a feature which really should be included in the Shopify system. Judging from what I've seen in this community, quite a few people have complained. I really hope Shopify will change their mind and address this problem.

9 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 19 61

Hi, @HNC

Thanks for jumping in with these details.

I can see how the current shipping system is impacting your business, so I really appreciate you sharing your feedback. Using apps isn't always an ideal workaround for every merchant, and I understand why this option doesn't work for your store. 

I will make sure to also share your thoughts and feedback with our developers so that they have a better understanding of your personal experience with our current shipping set up.  

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be glad to help further. 

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 16

I would like to jump in and say that this basic feature should be a part of shopify out of the box. Not an App. And sadly, the apps that fix this issue are way over priced. They are capitalizing on a serious downfall of shopify.

Dimensional Weight is a BIG and MANDITORY consideration by ALL shipping platforms when shipping. I should be able to calculate shipping off various box sizes during the order process, not just the one 'default' like shopify is programmed to do.

If you search your forums, this has been a complaint since the beginning of time with shopify. Why aren't you listening to your customers?

9 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 19 61

Hi, @BradSCJB

Thank you for reaching out and adding your feedback onto this post.

I can see that this is crucial feature for your business as well, and I understand your frustration with having to use apps and other third party integrations to achieve your desired shipping set up.

I will also pass along your feedback to our teams, and hopefully they can look into integrating this feature into our platform in the future. Our developers are always working hard to improve our features, and this type of feedback helps ensure we understand the biggest and most important pain points of our merchants, so this information is really helpful for us. 

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 7
I’m dealing with shipping some really big packages with low weights... if you do them by default box size (which works for 95% of my products perfectly) the shipping is $14 on one product... but because of shipping box needed it’s really $62. So the only way to have it close is to raise the price of the item but that difference? Then it’s not accurate for closer shipping zones... not great. Looking forward to being able to assign a box size to a product that’s not the default size ;)
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

+1.              

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 19 61

Hi, @Zimotco and @jennooo

Thank you both for reaching out about this.

I'm sorry for my delayed response here, @Zimotco. I can see how this current set up is impacting your business and making shipping calculations difficult for large packages. With this in mind, I will also pass along your feedback to our teams about this so they understand your specific situation. 

@jennooo, I'll add your feedback to our list as well, so that our developers know you're also impacted by this. 

Thank you both for reaching out. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. 

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist further!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 9

shopify implement dimensional weight calculation yesterday!

you are a huge company with greater resources than any of the sellers using your platform. it is rediculous that under calculated shipping there is no means of inputting the dimensions of the shipment that we sellers well know of our items.

personally we sell items that push the absolute maximum of ups ground shipping dimensional weight, we must be able to add to the item listing not just the weight but the dimensions as well.

both shopify and sellers are missing out on sales income due to this major flaw in your coding. 

fix it yesterday!

1 Like