Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
Community Manager
Community Manager
237 8 228

@BradSCJB wrote:

@Rae wrote:

Hello, everyone.

At the moment, dimensional shipping rate calculations, and using multiple default packages for shipping, are not offered natively in the Shopify admin. However, third party apps like the ones listed here can be used to add these rates onto Shopify stores.

If you would like to see this feature added and built in to our platform, please reply to me here with your .myshopify.com URL so that I can update our request list with your store details.

In the meantime, I am marking this reply as a solution on this post because, as of today, this is the current situation with this feature request.

Thanks!

As a Shopify customer, I DO NOT accept this as a solution. Who do we escalate this to? Who are you to decide if this is an acceptable solution?

There are A LOT of unhappy customers here that have expressed their frustrations and you just came in here and said to pretty much take it or leave it. Installing a paid 3rd party plug-in for basic functionality to work is NOT a solution. This is poor customer service on your end and it needs to be addressed immediately. 

Obviously your customers venting on your community forum is not the correct avenue to getting this issue resolved because this method has gotten us no where. What is the correct route for us to take? How can we get our voices heard?

Hi @BradSCJB 

I asked @Rae  to set their last reply as the solution since it states the current situation and allows others looking for the 'latest' on this feature to understand the current situation. We are sharing feedback from community members requesting this feature with our product teams and follow the same process if you called, or emailed into support. 

Thanks! 

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 15 32

@sydneysuh wrote:
Hi there
I’d love for shopify to have a function of archiving old product items or
collections. We have quiet big assortment of goods and sometimes it gets
too much to go through all the product listings as they accumulate so fast
so much each season. A way to archive some of old product listings would be
great to keep better track of current inventory etc.
thanks

Hi, @sydneysuh!

Thank you for sharing this suggestion. 

If this 'archive' function did exist, are you hoping for it to hide old products and collections from your online store, but still keep these products and collections visible in your admin?

If so, products can be hidden from your live site by logging in to your Shopify admin, clicking on 'Products'  and selecting the product you would like to hide. Then, on the right hand side of the page, click 'Manage'  under 'Product Availability'  and untick the 'Online Store'  so that the product no longer appears here. To do this for many products at once, the bulk editor is the fastest option to use. If you're instead looking to hide out of stock products from your site, this help document outlines the steps to do this by using automated collections.

Equally, to hide collections from the online store, we can follow the same process we used to hide individual products. Start with clicking on'Products > Collections'  in your Shopify admin, and select the collection you would like to hide. Then, on the right hand side of the page under 'Product availability'  click 'Manage'  and untick the 'Online store'. This will ensure that the collection doesn't appear on your live site. 

If you were hoping to hide products and collections in another way, please reply back to me here with more details about the functionality that you're looking for and I'll be glad to assist further! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 15 32

@HNC1 wrote:

Dear Rae, thank you for replying. Shopify seems to work very well, and our site looks really good now, but some features we were used to are missing. Since you asked, here are my complaints for now:

1. The biggest hurdle for us now is the limitation of 3 drop-downs/100 variant combinations, since we have quite a few products which go over that. The app our developers installed is awful. Someone writes an app for Shopify and it can't look or act like Shopify? And it can't be customized either. So we're trying to edit our products to be able to use the native Shopify variants.

2. Quantity pricing would be really useful. Again, we're working on "work-arounds".

3. We had to have the product numbers (SKU's) coded into our site's product pages.

4. Shopify's shipping really does need to be updated to utilize dimensional weights, especially since all shipping companies use them now. We have a huge variety of product sizes and weights, a single default package size is just a joke for us.

5. We were used to being able to edit the shopping cart. 

In general, using an app for added features hasn't been easy, and they don't seem to integrate seamlessly, at least in our experience so far. And they are so expensive--$20 a month for an added feature that should be included in Shopify, and which may or may not really work anyway? 

Thank you for reading this. 

One very good thing is, Shopify's support does seem to be very good, as far as I can tell so far.

Hi, @HNC1!

Thank you for following up with me with these additional details. I'd love to help address your concerns. 

1. I understand how the 100 variant limit can be frustrating for businesses with many product options and customizations. This is something I can certainly pass along to our developers. In the meantime though, it sounds like you're having issues with the app you're currently using as a workaround for this. If you would like to explore other apps that can achieve more than 100 variant options, I recommend checking out Infinite Options or Bold Product Options. These are both third party apps though, so if you have any questions about their functionality or billing, make sure to reach out to the app developers directly for more information. 
  2. Can you please tell me a bit more about the quantity pricing you require, and what units or measurements you're selling? Once I have some more details on this, I can help suggest some workarounds. 
  3. I'd love to hear more about this point as well! Do you mind sharing further details about this customization, and more information on why these SKUs needed to be coded in to your site? 
  4. Thanks for your feedback on this point. I understand how important this is to your business, so I have shared your thoughts on this with our developers. 
  5. In terms of editing the shopping cart, are you hoping to edit the cart page on your site, or the checkout? While some customizations and edits can be made to the cart page, the checkout cannot be edited for safety reasons, as the checkout is a completely secure form. If you can please share more details about the edits you're looking to make - and to which page - I can certainly check to see what's possible. 

Thank you again for taking the time to share these thoughts and suggestions. I look forward to hearing back from you with more information so that I can share your specific feedback with our developers. 

Best, 

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello Rae, thank you for taking the time to answer.

1. About the variants problem: we tried the app from Bold. One requirement we have is that each variant should show the total price, not "add x amount". Shopify's variants do this. But the Bold Product Options app does not, and can't be customized. I was surprised at how complex the app was, how "un-seamless" it was, and that it didn't look or behave like Shopify. I can take a look at the other app you mentioned.

But I have another complaint about putting variants in Shopify--it's terribly slow and tedious, and not at all intuitive. I've worked with a couple of other platforms, so it's not that I don't understand these things at all. We have laser cut greeting cards with choices of paper and foil colors and size. It adds up to 80 combinations. The bulk editor worked for almost half of them, but then those options were grayed out so I had to enter--or duplicate/paste/save--each combination individually. So what should have taken less than 5 minutes took almost an hour. Even the bulk editor, when it worked, was pretty clunky. If there's a better way I'd be glad to know about it--I've got plenty more to do.

2. Quantity pricing--well, we used to have a lot of built in quantity based discounts. (for instance, buy 100, get 15% off) We have changed to using discount codes. I guess it works. It's too bad there's only one allowed per order. 

3. Early in our migration I noticed there were no item numbers/sku's on the product pages, I asked for them and the developer said he had coded them in. We absolutely have to have them on the product page and the order page and emails, we have dozens of items that are stored and shipped only by their item numbers. Another thing I was surprised was missing.

4. I guess you've heard plenty about dimensional weights so I won't go into that again.

5. Yes, we were used to editing the cart, which changed the checkout page. For instance if we needed to change a shipping price, or we wanted to apply a custom discount.  We could do this as long as we didn't go over the authorized amount because we captured at the time of shipping . I think it's a common feature in ecommerce stores. 

Please do pass along my complaints to the developers, you can tell them I said they can do better! 

All these things are really just features that are commonly used and needed by any mid-sized store, and it seems, expected by plenty of your customers.

Thank you for letting me explain our concerns, I appreciate it!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 15 32

Hi, @HNC1

Thanks again for getting back to me with this additional context. I appreciate the time you've taken to share your feedback with us. 

Below I have outlined more information on your specific points. Feel free to let me know if you have anything else to add, and I'll be sure to send these details over to our developers as well. 

Point 1: 

Thanks for letting me know about the issues with Bold Product Options. This is a third party app created by developers who are external to Shopify, so I recommend sharing your feedback on this with Bold directly so that they're aware of your experience. Their developers can be reached by following these steps.

In terms of the issues with the bulk editor though, I can certainly share this feedback with our teams. I understand how this caused frustration, and added extra time to your task, so I will let our teams know about this. Just to confirm, did the issue with the variants showing up greyed out occur when you were adding variants while creating a product, or adding variants to an existing product?

Point 2:

I appreciate these extra details! I understand the limitation caused by only allowing one discount code to be applied per order. I will let our Development Team know about how this is impacting your business and your customers. 

Point 3:

While SKU numbers aren't displayed on product pages as a standard feature, you can certainly add these in via code, like your developer has done. The steps for this are outlined here. If you're using a free theme developed by Shopify, our Theme Team may also be able to assist with adding this feature to your theme. 

Point 5: 

Thanks for these details. It sounds like you're looking for a way to adjust the shipping charges, or apply discount codes to orders after they have been placed by customers. Is that correct? 

I will make sure that our developers are aware of your concerns, and I look forward to hearing back from you with more information! 

Best, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

We opened our store up in March '19 and everything ran fine with calculated shipping because 99% of our shipments were under 1 pound. Recently we added items that weigh more than 1 pound and customer ordering in bulk. Now our shipments ranges from 1 ounce to 25 pounds and our first bulk order the customer paid $7.66 I had to pay $27 just for ground shipping. I lost $8.73 on this entire order. How am I suppose to stay in business when I'm losing money because of one default box option in calculated shipping. I changed to a larger default box and now I'm losing customers because shipping is to high for small items. Changed to weight based shipping but that does not work either. Had a customer today charged $19.72 for shipping that only cost me $11.16 because she lives 30 miles away. Either way, I lose customers because the shipping is too high and/or I lose money because I end up paying the bulk of the shipping cost. We had a customer reach out to us today and said she is leaving our competitor and would like to order our products. Well guess what, we lost that potential customer because of how we limited in our shipping shipping options/methods.

Like the other 200 million owners have stressed, this must change and change now.

NOTE: if anyone from Shopify replies back to this DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT OFFER ME A 3RD PARTY APP. I'm paying over $100 a month for the Plan and Apps and losing money and customers to boot.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 3
It seems like this could be solved pretty easily with being able to assign a box size to a product. At least in my situation, I know it wouldn’t solve everyone’s issue.
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 1

For Renwill: Just an idea--are your item weights accurate? For instance, for something that weighs 1 lb, you would enter the shipping weight of that item, perhaps 1.25 lbs. For items that require dimensional weight, have you tried entering the dimensional weight instead of the actual weight? In the admin, on each product page. We also have a very wide range of product sizes and weights, and so far we haven't had a lot of trouble.

You could even put a note on your checkout page explaining that if the shipping costs shown are very high, you'll refund the difference.

HTH....

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

Rae: thank you!

I have certainly explained my concerns to the people at Bold Apps. They might be sick of me, actually. It's too bad they weren't able to help much, though!

The variants problem was happening when I was adding variants to an existing product.

Yes, we were accustomed to being able to adjust shipping charges, or apply discounts after the order was placed.

Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate that Shopify seems to care.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0
since we ship parcels that push the very limits of ups ground @ 150#
measuring up to 36x26x26, as a kludge to your missing fields in the item
editing pages of shopify, we laboriaously creatied a dimensional weight
table to make due with the severly limiting feature of shopify only
allowing package weight to be defined.

it is a sub optimal kludge that works kind of, not so worky when the
customer adds other items and accessories that go in the box.
0 Likes