Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 3

I just got hit with a $32 shipping fee on a package the customer paid $18 to ship. I really like the Shopify platform, but lack of dim weighting is a costly failing. All the interface improvements and analytics in the world are useless if I'm losing money when I ship product.

1 Like
2 0 1
I’m in the same boat. The lack of dim weight is a HUGE FAIL! Enough to consider changing platforms. Already overpaying for apps that should be basic integrations provided by Shopify. If people’s sites aren’t effective, they will fail. I doubt people would be eager to repeat a failed busines venture using the same products responsible for their failing.
1 Like
1 0 2

MechanixGear.myshopify.com

Please add this functionality to Shopify, products already allow us to put a weight, why not have dimensions as well and simplify what customers choose when picking expedited rates. Our store ships items that are small enough to ship first class to items large enough to require freight, most of everything else falls inbetween the 1lb to 150Lb territory  with dimmensions from 6"x7"x3" up to and beyond 48"x10"x10" this "one size fits all-default package" solution is a dis-service to Store owners and their customers alike

2 Likes
1 0 2

Hello Rae,

Please add me to the list of other stores that would benefit from adding dimensional weight calculation to each product. I too have a wide variety of product sizes and am currently unable to provide accurate calculated shipping rates to customers.

grapplergarage.myshopify.com

Thank you,

Trevor

2 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Just migrating from another platform and can’t believe product dimensions are not a default feature!! Should be present for products for the customer’s benefit and for dimensional shipping rates.

Haus-Theory.myshopify.com

1 Like
1 0 0

Like many comments, I encountered the shipping issue of a default package and range of products, both size and weight. The shipping charge at checkout will either be too little or too much, neither adequate. Bummer that the function of including package size on the product detail page isn't available in Shipping settings. However, I'm somewhat relieved to discover I wasn't the only one experiencing frustration. It does seem odd that specifying package size/weight to a given product isn't an available feature.

I'll try the suggested solution and see how it goes...thanks.

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello! Just wanting to share another workaround that seems to do the trick. Rather than enter the actual item weight, we now enter the dimensional weight, based on the approximate size of the box we would need to use for the item.

Both Fedex and UPS calculate dimensional weight as: Length x Width x Height (in inches) /  139

So if I have a widget that fit in a 10" x 10" x 12" box, we calculate 10 x 10 x 12 / 139 = 8.63, round up to 9 lbs, and enter that as the widget's weight.

USPS calculates dim weight a little differently, but it is less than Fedex and UPS, so if we stick with the formula above, customers might overpay a little, but at least I won't get burned by shipping costs eating into my profits. It's not a perfect system, but it works out much better than using the actual weight and it is relatively accurate.

1 Like
1 0 1

pz-usa.myshopify.com

Coming from a different platform last summer and finding out that this was not a standard feature was a real shock. We've been with Shopify for about 6 months and have been happy with our decision, but not having the ability to accurately quote shipping rates without an app such as boxify at an additional cost of $70-$100 is not pleasing. Having the dimensions of our products for shipping is something that should be standard and included in the monthly fee that Shopify charges.

1 Like