Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 16
Yes, I find it ironic how quickly so many solutions were put into place when Covid-19 showed up. Suddenly we have pickup options, delivery options, etc., which I was thankful the Shopify team was able to implement quickly. But, it clearly shows me that they have no intentions on implementing dimensions/ weight options per package, like Ebay and others provide successfully. Shopify merely wants us to use their third party apps, which I refuse to do for shipping because of the additional cost each month for my small business. In many ways, I've been happy with Shopify and in others I have not. This is an issue that can cause customers to leave so I sincerely hope they address it soon!
2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 11

hi there ,

if you know how do it (assign a box size to each product to have shipping rate calculated correctly)please let us and everyone to know since you sound like you've fixed the problem that almost everyone not happy with.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 35

I just reported the post in this thread where this thread was marked as solved - putting in the notes that it is NOT solved. I suggest everyone else do that.

5 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 11

Yes we 100% agreeing with you , THIS IS NOT A SOLVED PROBLEM . Support gave the run around to merchants and that is it, then they call it solved. It is still an ongoing major flaw with Shopify that might get put on other blogs too maybe someone will be able to solve it since Shopify developers have hard time solving it for years  .

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 16

I’m sorry if I made it sound that way.  I definitely have not figured it out.  I sell home decor and i constantly have issues.  Shopify has the option to set a shipping charge for certain items but I have found that even that causes some customers to be under or over charged.  For example,  today,  I mailed a wreath from TN to KY and the customer was charged $8.35 and it was actually $14.87 after I added the dimensions of the box.  In an Amazon world, customers don’t want to pay shipping to begin with so I always absorb those additional cost rather than go back to the customer and potentially lose the sale.  In this case, it’s only a couple of dollars but that adds up after a while.  Best of luck everyone!  I say continue the conversation about this issue so Shopify can see these options are needed and we will not settle for sub-par services.   

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 35

@rental-hq This is a situation where we need to start making as much noise about it until it gets on the radar of someone important at shopify. I feel like this thread isn't getting the attention needed - is there another method to reporting issues that users find within shopify? If so, we need to start opening cases - this will start to show up on reports of opened cases.

Whatever we can do to let Shopify know this is a major issue and it needs to be resolved ASAP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 10

Agree with you this thread needs more attention. Interesting the traction that it's getting right now, and hopefully, more can jump in and help get this in front of the developers that can affect change. We lose a great deal of sales due to incorrectly managed shipping costs, so much so that we have a pop-up that asks the customer if they're bailing on a purchase because of high shipping costs. more than 80% of respondents say that is the reason for not completing the purchase. If I take the time to do and actual calculate in ship station, the result is almost always a lower actual cost, and I create a manual order for them to keep the sale. It usually works, BUT it's a great deal of time to spend on every order, and this is certainly not a good E-commerce solution. 

Dimensional Weight calculated shipping was touted as something that would be resolved in the Shopify Unite convention two years ago! It's time!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 11
if our problem was like yours when it come to small $$ I wouldn't even worry , but last order I had to cancel it was 65lb. 40x39x13 customer was getting about $50 rate while actual shipping rate is $142
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Just do what i have.  So far i have moved 3 clients (1 more to go) to other platforms.  I have used BigCommerce for 2 of them and the other actually build a WooCommerce store that does exactly what they want.  Shopify don't listen, they have no incentive to listen, they instead want to create a eco system around their product for devs and app makers.  I have moved away from shopify and i couldn't be happier.

Every time i have spoken to shopify about my requirements they have simply told me that shopify plus can do what i need and that i would have to upgrade to get that feature set.  So i have to pay $2000 per month in order to get features i can get in a $75 per month plan on other platforms.  A few of the features on those platforms i can't even get out of the box in shopify plus, i have to custom code those there too.

I get that shopify can't be everything to everyone, but when it comes to features like the one requested in this thread, it's not even anything to anyone.  They don't care about you, so don't bother trying to get this to be a standard feature.  Just use the power of the market and move onto greener pastures.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 16

Thanks for your input.  Was it a smooth transition  for you to move and was there any downtime?  Many thanks! 

0 Likes