Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Just to add another (related) wrinkle. 

We ship to multiple countries in the EU and to the USA and we'll now be facing issues with Brexit too. Package size, customs, different pricing (VAT), shipping, etc is getting to be a pain in the neck. And, as you'll see if you visit the site (https://nicolevanderwolf.com), it's not a big business and it's a real hassle. 

While we've been doing it essentially by hand (ringing the customer and reconciling any additional fees or subtractions), we can't keep doing that. 

We're beginners on the platform, so maybe we're missing something obvious. 

H

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 0 2

ShipperHQ can help you there. You can establish different shipping zones in ShipperHQ, and from there set rules to charge or surcharge a certain amount for shipping per zone, use specific carriers or methods, etc. And since we also have a dimensional shipping feature, the two functions work hand-in-hand together.

Plus we have the Landed Cost Engine, which will take care of the duties and taxes portion and display them right at checkout so your customers know exactly what they are paying. We also integrate with several cross-border carriers like Zenda and Easyship that handle customs for you.

You can get in touch with our sales team, and they would be happy to discuss further. Or you can sign up for a free 30-day trial and see how ShipperHQ works for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I'll have a look, ta. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9

What is the status of integrating dimensional shipping rate calculations and using multiple default packages for shipping natively in the Shopify admin?  When can we expect to have this implemented?

I see lots of merchants with the same problem and a few Shopify Staff replies stating it's being worked on or offering a list of third-party apps as solutions.

Lip service and third-party apps aren't solutions to this most basic shipping problem.

Update, please.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 16

Like all the other Shopify customers who have commented, I find it very displeasing that we pay from Shopify and they encourage us to use Shopify Shipping, but they don't offer the options that are needed for businesses that carry more than one size item.  I carry btw 50-60 different shaped items/weights and my shipping charges are constantly wrong.  I've tried Shopify Shipping, manually by weight or by price of the item and its often wrong.  I had a customer pay $16.00 for shipping of a mirror to California that cost me $30 to ship.  I basically lost all the profit from that item.  Why can't Shopify add a section to put in the exact weight and measurements of the package for every single item when I am adding it to the store?  I realize there would be some variance when multiple items are packaged together.  My Ebay store has it set up where each items weight and dimensions are put in when the item is listed and I never have a problem with shipping being off.  Not to mention, its ridiculous for Shopify customers to have to purchase another app to make this part of our "SHOPIFY" work properly.  If Shopify wants to be known as a company that provides great service and be the best choice for their customers, they have to provide the services we need to meet our customers needs.  I am looking for another e-commerce platform to run my store from as this is not working and if people have been complaining about this for 10 years, Shopify's not planning on doing anything about it. 

8 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

This very issue has resulted in me taking two client stores from shopify and using another platform and i am here to see if this is still an issue (which clearly it is) so i will be taking a new store to another competitor.  I am stick of shopify treating its customers as if they were idiots.  Last time around i received a call from shopify trying to get me to upgrade to shopify plus just to do what i wanted.  That would have meant that instead of paying $80 per month i would have been paying $2000 per month plus i would have needed to custom code the bits and pieces i needed on top of that.  

Shopify is a disgrace and will never be recommending it again to any of my clients and i will be actively discouraging anyone from using it in the future.   This is not the only issue i have with them, there are many other basic features that are standard even on the most basic plans on other e-commerce options, which shopify force you to pay for via third party apps.  And it's not even the extra charge that is the most annoying thing, it's that often these additional apps actually become a nightmare to manage on the backend as they are force to "workaround" shopify and not actually work with it to achieve their goals.  Having to go to 3 different parts of the admin portal just to add products, then add meta fields for dimensions, then manage the order manually just to add the shipping just to process an order is ridiculous, especially considering you could easily have a dimensions field in the products to begin with and then the third party carrier shipping integration could easily be done, but no, it's now a nightmare and a step backwards for store owners compared to their current systems.

For the record, the dumbest response i have ever got from shopify for not including a basic feature was as follows.... "This sort of functionality isn't required in the USA which is our biggest market so we haven't implemented it."  my response "the USA will continue to be your biggest market as long as you leave our features that are required in other markets, in fact i am not even sure why you bother with sales/support teams in other markets if you don't provide a product that will work in those other markets to begin with."  

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
9 0 14

That is an interesting and timely reply, we are opening into global markets and have been in discussions of the multichannel store platform to choose. 

If shopify does not play nice outside of USA then that is a clencher, along with the shipping dimensions issue for us to migrate away.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

It can handle basic things in other markets, don't get me wrong.  I will give you an example of the American centric attitude.  Here is Australia, you are allowed to pass on credit card fees onto the customer as long as you clearly state it before charging them.  There are ways with shopify to add extra fees but not by payment type (ie. 2% surcharge IF someone pays by credit card).  This is not something that is legal in America (apparently) so they don't support it.  However, there is a few apps that allow you to add extra fees to orders based on flat rates or as a percentage, but you can't segregate this by payment type so it's useless for this purpose, shopify doesn't allow you to edit the checkout process.  This is just a small issue that instantly came to mind and i used this example simply because it's the shortest one to type, i have plenty more. 

Everything at shopify seems to be geared around creating an app marketplace (borrowing from apple) but they are so restrictive that the apps have to essentially "hack" the system to make features work, it's all work arounds, and they really hamper the customer experience or simply create more work for the shop owner when it comes to fulfilment and managing inventory etc.

The client i am currently implementing a store for has requirements i can get from a $30 a month plan at a competitor, but they would be considering the $80 plan to get some extra bells and whistles.  I would need to be on a $200 plan plus spend money on a shipping rates integration, 3 or 4 apps that will add 10-30 dollars (each) per month on top of the $200, not to mention the extra work the owner will need to do in the back end just to manage the store.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 10

@Rae 
Purchasing a third party shipping app (usually around $20/mo) requires I also either upgrade my shopify plan ($50/mo) or purchase the addon 3rd party shipping for $20/mo
This now means I have to pay between $40-70/mo more to fix an issue shopify Devs are too lazy/greedy (because of the extra fees + the commissions off the 3rd party apps they make) to fix.

US Carriers all switched to dimensional shipping this year, so not being able to enter individual dims  and forcing your customers to pay an additional $40/mo to fix your lack of development is utterly asinine

rate by dimension for the same weight is $135 
https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=0&ccode=US&oz=32955&omil=False&dz=90210&dm...

How can this not be implemented already? FedEx/UPS has been charging this way for a few years now, USPS has been warning customers for AT LEAST that long, so in 2+ years Shopify cant add item dims? really?

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

@Kevin5801 

It gets worse, to add and manage the metafields required for dimensional shipping will cost you money too, unless you want to go through every product individually to add the metafields, and every time you add a new product going to a different section to add the dimensions separately. 

And don't get me started if you don't use a standard carrier because you get a good deal elsewhere.  Try finding someone that knows what they are doing with creating third party carrier rates integration.  I went through 8 different Shopify Experts because none of them gave me a solution that wasn't a complete work around, instead of using the third party carrier API.  So the extra cost of that when you are paying people that actually don't know what they are doing is just the biggest headache.

1 Like