Shipping - Calculated Rates - Dimensional Weight

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 35

I sat through the Shopify Reunite livestream hoping SOMETHING would be mentioned about Dimensional Shipping....

Nothing....not even mentioned once. Lots of other cool features added or being added, but not even a "hey, we know our shipping module lacks some very serious basic features and it's a major issue to our merchants and we are working towards a solution."

So what do we need to do to get this on Shopify's radar? This needs to be addressed ASAP!

3 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

Not sure, I wrote a message to Tobi@shopify.com, Of course I didn't expect Tobias to answer so in classic big business style an underling answered for him. 

Shay (Shopify)

Apr 28, 15:34 EDT

Hi there,

I’m Shay, a Merchant Operations Lead at Shopify. I’m writing in follow up to your email to Tobi, and I appreciate you getting in touch with us about this. I recognize the importance of accurately covering shipping costs, and that this is a long requested feature that our merchants expect and need.

I realize that our responses in Shopify Community made it appear that this feature request was closed, and I'll be following up to look at improving how we respond to these requests in future. In actuality, we log how many stores request it, and detailed information about the impact, the use cases, and the alternative options available - including that the main one is to use a paid third-party app. We use a robust and active system to track and prioritize feature requests, and make sure that merchant feedback makes it to the teams that work on our product directly. This request is very much still open, and I'll consult with the Shipping team about your store and use case. If you’d like, I can also include a request that if this is developed, your store is added to any "beta" versions so you get the first peek.

This feature in particular requires an entire refactoring of how we calculate shipping costs, and includes code that touches many areas of Shopify (Shipping, Products, Checkout, etc). This isn’t to say that it won’t be built, but rather to share some context around the scope of the project. Projects of this nature take a significant amount of time and resources, and timelines can shift, which is why we have a policy of not sharing what we plan to build. For this reason, we can’t say if/when this will added, but I can make sure that your feedback is heard, because I appreciate the impact this has on your business.

Currently, another option is to add a mark-up, though this is less than ideal. I’d be happy to go into more detail about this though, or answer any other questions that you may have for us.

Best,

Shay

Maybe we should all start banging down his door, you know how it works, Squeeky wheel and all. Maybe we will finally get an answer or a feature.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9

This isn't a "blue sky" feature we wish we had.

This is basic functionality that should have been added long ago particularly where it's costing merchants real money due to errors or workarounds.

I find it amazing how Shopify relies so strongly upon third-party solutions to problems they choose NOT to address with the basic product.

While I'm fully aware of how software is developed to avoid code changes introducing unintended consequences, the fact remains this is not an insurmountable problem. 

Excuses are just that... excuses.

And that's what I'm reading in Shay's reply.

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 8

My understanding at  this point is that  this request has been made by stores for many years and is basically being ignored.  I have  to wonder if it  is intentional to keep us paying for the third party app... is Boxify truly a separate entity from Shopify? I don't know.  I am very frustrated as  well. Another $20/ month for basic shipping functions adds up and can kill a small upstart business.

5 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Dimensions are a must in eCommerce and should be included as part of the platform. PLEASE get this added naively as soon as possible.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 10

Watched the latest REUNITE video the whole way through with bated breath to hear someone say "Dimensional Weight" .....and.......... Nope.

Again, this critical feature has been passed over. We lose a TON of customers due to poorly executed dimensional weight calculations from a third-party app which we pay dearly for every month. This returns excessively high shipping rates for our customers and we lose a lot of sales because of it. Almost all of our products go into dimensional weight because we ship breakaway props that need lots of packaging. So while the package may may only 5 lbs, the Dim Weight can be something like 24lbs.  

We need this solved at the product level within Shopify. Please!

PLEASE SHOPIFY, get this to the top of your development list. You'll make more money and so will we because better, more accurate shipping rates = more completed transactions = more conversions = more $$ all around! 

...Back into my oversized, overpriced box. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 10

oh, and my site is: newrulefx.myshopify.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

Hello Rae,

I'm developing a store for my client at snookdog.myshopify.com. They will have about 50 products, with a variety of physical sizes that have worked well using dimensional as well as weight for shipping. They will definitely benefit from having this dimensions feature added to Shopify.

In the meantime, I'm looking at the 3rd party apps recommended and will hopefully find something affordable that will work for them.

Thanks, Rick

1 Like
Highlighted
Navigator
302 34 67

Having lost quite a bit with this issue when we initially launched, and because my partner (also my wife 😜) is absolutely hostile toward adding apps, I came up with the idea of entering the dimensional weight of individual products rather than the actual weight (especially for products that nearly always require a dimensional shipment).

For example, one particular type of product we sell only weighs about 18-22 oz. However, the dimensions are 21" x 4" x 4" (and customers usually buy 3+ in a given order. For this product, I calculated the dimensional weight using the most conservative dim divisor of any of the carriers ((21X4X4)/139) which came to 38.67 oz. That is what I entered as the product weight.

Like I said, it hasn't been perfect, but it has significantly reduced the shipping undercharges and we're not paying for an app...

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 11
Ive been toying around with this idea, how do you go about your single box
size though are you just using a 1 cubic foot "box"
0 Likes