Shipping Confirmation email - problem when we ship without a tracking number - how do others handle this?

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 5

Pretty sure I'm not the only Shopify store owner who ships via Canada Post SMALL PACKET to US/International destinations.  The Shipping Confirmation email works great for shipments with a tracking number, but terrible for shipments via Small PAcket.  There is no tracking number, so if I enter "CANADA POST" as the carrier, and manually enter "no tracking number given" in the tracking number field, the customer still gets a link to track their orders and think something is wrong, and emails me!  Since more than half of my orders go via Small Packet, I need a work-around. Any ideas? 

• Been told I cannot create two emails and simply choose the appropriate version (tracking link/No tracking link)
  • But what about adding a NEW carrier to the list (heard you could do that) as "SMALL PACKET" and then the lookup search tracking query goes to a page on my website with the explanation that this order will arrive in 5-7 days and no tracking # is given since it travels like a letter, etc etc.

I don't code, so I can't play around with ideas personally, but can arrange or pay for an expert if they know how to accomplish the goal.  Goal being give correct information to customers on their shipments both WITH and WITHOUT tracking numbvers.

If I could say this just sounds silly that there are not alternate versions of emails available for ship confirmation.  Even Etsy has snippets you can save and use for conf emails.  Appreciate any suggestions!

Diane

Secret Storage Books

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
162 0 5

HI Diane,

Matt here from the Guru Team! :-)  Thank you for contacting us and providing us with the extra feedback.  We definitely apprciate it.  

One thing I would do to avoid the shipping confirmation email from being sent is once I have pressed Fulfill in the order and selected Canada post is deselect the option *Send a confirmation email to the customer for this shipment as seen* [here](https://screenshot.click/09-08-R-0lss4.jpg).  :-) 

This should help out and I am happy to pass on your other suggestions to our development team as well.  :-)

I hope you have excellent day! 

Matt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hi Matt,

Thanks for writing back. So you are suggesting that those customers just don't get a confirmation email via Shopify? 

Diane

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
162 0 5

Hi Diane,

That is a great quesiton! That is correct in this case! :-) As you had mentioned that for small packets there is not a tracking number and you are currently manually entering "no tracking number given" in the tracking number field which causes confustion, by deselecting "Send a confirmation email to the customer for this shipment" you wouldn't have to worry about the customer being confused.  :-)  It is not mandatory to send out a shipping confirmation email.  As soon as their order is placed they are send out an order notification.   

I hope this helps and you have a fantastic day,

Matt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 5

I do realize they get an order notification, but if they don't get any ship notification, I also know I will have to answer email inquiries about when the order shipped as well, which is extra work and not great customer service.

Just realized there was no answer to My earlier question:

But what about adding a NEW carrier to the list (heard you could do that) as "SMALL PACKET" and then the lookup search tracking query goes to a page on my website with the explanation that this order will arrive in 5-7 days and no tracking # is given since it travels like a letter, etc etc.

If this is not possible, my plan going forward is to sort the orders with no tracking info during fulfillment and MANUALLY copy and paste the customer's email into my Outlook email and send a templated ship confirmation email from there, and DE-Select the Shopify email Shipping Confirmation for those customers.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Shopify - but there are some things that any ecommerce site should be able to do, and the whole email portion of Shopify is really, really due for improvement. 

Appreciate your confirmation on this problem so I can move on :)

Diane

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
162 0 5

Hi Diane,

I think I see what is happening.  It looks like for this case the reason the emails are including a link to Canada Post's site for a tracking number is because you are typing "no tracking number given".  The default for the shipping confirmation emails is to not include any link therefore if the tracking number size is less than 0.  Thus if you leave the field blank, no link will be sent however, an email will still be send none the less to let the customer know their order is coming.  :-)

At the same time to answer your other question you could add a new carrier.  To do so you would have to set up the notification so that the link for tracking goes to their page which can be done by following these steps here however, by following the above steps you should be good to go.  :-)

I hope you have great day! :-)

Matt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
424 5 28

Hello @Diane_Melen,

The best solution in such cases would be fulfilling the order, leaving the tracking number and carrier field blank. Then change the content in the order status page. You can do that from the Themes section.

Head to: Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit Language

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 12.39.07 PM.png

Now search for "Confirmed description" in the search box. You can find the edit option to change the Order confirmation status.

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 12.12.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 12.17.15 PM.png

Once this is done, your customers will receive the shipping confirmation email when you fulfill the order. The email will contain the link to order status page which will contain the status as shipped.

Alternatively, We can work with you to solve this issue using Shipment Tracking & Notify App if you are looking for an advanced customization in the "Order status" page. You can create a "Track your order" page as well, where your customers can track their order.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes