Why is changing item weight not affecting my shipping cost?

CoSo
Visitor
1 0 0

Looking for ways to increase the shipping cost. When we change the weight of the item it doesn't make a difference. It's always 10 dollars when it's usually double that or more.

Reply 1 (1)

Summer
Shopify Staff
1290 316 222

Hey, @CoSo!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify Community!

What you're describing sounds like you may not have weight conditions set up in your settings. It's a good idea to rectify this to ensure you don't lose money on shipping. In order to charge the correct shipping rate to a specific weight, you will need to set up conditions for weight-based shipping rates. Feel free to follow the steps below to do this.

1. Login to your Shopify admin.
  2. Go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.
  3. Click Manage rates beside the shipping profile that you want to add a shipping rate to.
  4. Click Add rate under the shipping zone that you want to add a rate to.
  5. Make sure Set up your own rates is selected. Enter the name and amount of the rate.
  6. Click Add conditions.
  7. Select Based on item weight.
  8. Enter the minimum and maximum weight for the condition.
  9. Click Done, and then click Save.

Repeat steps 4-9 to create other weight conditions with different shipping rates.

Modifying your shipping settings is a good opportunity to rethink your shipping strategy. Keep in mind that increasing the shipping rates may discourage customers from placing an order; and while you're not taking a loss on shipping with that setup, you may be taking a loss on conversions. Make sure you consider different shipping strategies before you decide on one. This blog post shares three shipping tactics that increase conversions. Get some ideas from there so you can determine what shipping setup will be ideal for both you and your customers.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog