Shipping/Fulfillment

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello there! I am new to the community. I had a quick question regarding the weight of a package before generating the shipping label through Shopify. I noticed for the weight it does not allow me to enter for example: "1.lb and 5.2oz". However I can enter "1.5", but I don't want any issues so will it affect anything if don't include the full "5.2 oz" because there is no option to enter oz as well as lb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
302 34 67

Hi @NMCshop 

When it comes to UPS and USPS labels, the only time you will have to worry about being that precise is with USPS First Class. The shipping carriers always round up to the next pound (except USPS First Class which rounds up to the next ounce).

So, whether you enter 1.5 lbs. or 1 lb, 5oz. you are generating a label and paying shipping for 2lbs.

With USPS First Class, all packages have to be under 16 oz, and the rate increases by the ounce, so you will need to enter the precise weight for that. However, it's not hard to convert ounces to a decimal amount. All you need to do is divide the number of ounces your scale reads by 16.

So in your example, you said 1 lb 5.2 oz.

Take the 5.2 and divide by 16 = 0.325

So your final weight is 1.325 lbs.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @MelsMojoBob! Thank you so much for explaining all of that to me. I really appreciate it! I just need to clarification on something that you mentioned. So USPS First Class Packages have to be 1lb or less, and anything over that can not be shipped by that method?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
302 34 67

@NMCshop 

First class package has to be under 1 lb - up to 15.9 oz. Anything at 1 lb and above has to be shipped Parcel Select or Priority Mail (or Media Mail if it's some sort of media - books/magazines/tapes/DVDs etc.). 

0 Likes