Shipping Large and/or Heavy Item

Highlighted
2 0 0

We had set up a relatively simple shipping charge structure - a flat rate on orders under a given amount and free shipping for orders over that amount.  This structure works for many products.  A problem arises with heavy or large items (dimensional shipping charges and or handling charges are charged by the shipper or the weight itself has a cost that results in a loss on the item or order).  Is there a way to maintain the basic simple structure yet charge shipping on these larger and or heavier items (even more significant when shipping to further away locations)?  I understand the cost can be built into the price of the item but if the cost was built into a product based on a more distant area, it would result in an unnecessarily higher cost for closer destinations. Any solutions?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Brad, let me take it a couple steps further.

1) If rather than setting up multiple additional tiers, I decided I wanted to use shipping costs from, let's say UPS, could I let the shipping be added to the order via the UPS integration (Understanding a certain Shopify plan must be in place to do this) while keeping products I don't want shipping charges added to at zero shipping charge by going in and making their weights zero on the product pages?

2) With this in place, if feasible, can I also maintain my flat shipping rate for orders under a given dollar amount - a non-weight based rate.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi Joseph,

The Sendly app might be able to help you. You can choose to have free shipping on select SKUs. You can leave all the other shipments in your system and Sendly will figure out those cost, based on the weight provided, through a variety of carriers. 

Sendly is free to all Shopify users and it’s currently in Beta. You can find it here: http://apps.shopify.com/sendly ;

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions – support@secureship.ca.

Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

You can use the Multi Carrier Shipping label app to fulfil this scenario. Basically, Shipping can be charged for heavier items with your own courier account using the app. In addition, you can continue to use weight and amount based flat rates from Shopify for smaller products or configure them completely in the app to handle everything from a single medium.

0 Likes