Shipping Multiple Boxes per Order

Highlighted
1 0 0

Each of my products requires it's own box.  However, when a customer orders 2 items (11 lbs. and 13 lbs.), it is treated as though it is all in one box (24 lbs.), yet UPS charges me the cost of shipping 2 boxes.  The customer only pays for shipping one box at 24 lbs, but my UPS bill shows higher charges because there are 2 boxes. 

I also need my UPS labels to reflect box 1 of 2 and box 2 of 2 on the labels. 

Any shipping solutions/apps that anyone knows about would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

This same issue is causing us a HUGE problem! Our products are heavy, all our products are pre-boxed ready for shipment, our case weights are 11lbs, 19lbs and 30lbs. If a customer orders say 4 x cases of 30lbs the customer will pay as if it were one box weighing 120lbs because the Shopify cart returns a total weight look up for the shipping cost, not a line item look up (no matter whether you are hooked up to FedEx or UPS). However we are billed for 4 x boxes each 30lbs as if they were separate shipments. The difference between these charges is huge! The heavier the consignment, the more packages you ship and the further away the delivery location, the worse the discrepancy becomes (our goods are warehoused in Michigan, so the cost for delivery to California is the worst outcome). Anyone who ships more than one package to any location will have this same problem. The only calculation that will return an accurate shipping cost, where what you recover from the customer in shipping will match what you get billed is a single box consignment! Perhaps some people absorb this into their pricing but our products are not profitable enough to do this. If we add the worst case discrepancy to our unit pricing and offer free shipping the item price would be too high and all customers would be subsidising the cost of shipment to California. This is unworkable for us. The only solution is for Shopify to change their shopping cart to a line item look up for shipping costs, or for a developer to write a plug-in app to solve it. We are looking at both avenues. It is important for anyone who ships more than one box to any single location to petition Shopify on this matter, or you will continue to lose money on shipping. If anyone else has heavy products and ships multiple boxes please let me know how you deal with this. If we succeed in developing an app to resolve this problem I will be sure to let you know. This problem is so big we will have to stop selling our products, so we are working on an urgent solution now!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
24 0 2

We're thinking about writing an app that generates quotes for UPS, USPS & FedEx and takes into account multiple origins and that some items must be in a separate box.

If we wrote something like this as an installable app, would that solve your problem? Would it be worth $10-$15/month?

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

We're just looking at moving our site over to shopify but we have single products that ship in multiple boxes so this would also be a big problem for us.  Right now we're also set up so that some products can go via the Post Office, some via UPS and some by both.  The 1 cubic foot limit on Priority mail before going into dimensional weight is a big problem.  Different combinations of products can create a widely different size of box.

Any apps that could work around either of these problems would definitely be worth the money.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 4

James,

If you could solve this problem we would be your first client at $10/month. 

-Jonathan

Marketline.myshopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
15 0 0

We've got the same general problem, and we haven't yet figured out how to capture accurate shipping costs at checkout. Currently, we're just charging the negotiated rate based off of total weight from UPS, and then eating the cost of shipping if the order needs to be split into more than one shipment.

We've been looking into how to present & capture accurate shipping costs to the customer at the cart (we can actually accurately calculate how many boxes and what size would be needed before an order is finalized) via the API (by way of a private app) - but are not having any luck finding where shipping costs can actually be affected.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is of interest to us too. We have some items that must be shipped on their own either because they're dimensions don't allow it to fit in a box with other items.  Of course, FedEx charges us a premium to add additional boxes. Does anyone have a way to do this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 2

Trying to solve a very similar problem to this, but in the meantime could you include something on your site saying additional shipping charges may apply to orders of more than 1 item, and provide a rough calculator or something for clients?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

YES PLEASE!

Bruce Banner
0 Likes
Highlighted
21 0 0

For the actual shipping of multiple boxes for a single order or item - Ship Hero http://shiphe.ro

0 Likes