Shipping Nightmare

Highlighted
Tourist
17 0 2

Hello,

I have been working on my new website now for a few months and up until this point it has gone really well. I am stoked at how it looks, but then came shipping and I'm loosing sleep as I cant launch the site because the shipping just does not work.

This post is to ask for help in making it work, and see if you have encountered similar problems, and if so, how did you rectify it?

Firstly I am based in the UK and I ship to all countries except Russia.

I make custom bespoke products (lamps. furniture, wallpaper) and also sell smaller items (t-shirts, prints, art)

If you would like visual ref, my current soon to be gone website is: www.evilrobotdesigns.com

Now, shipping from the uk to say USA, or Europe is expensive. A lamp to USA could cost up to £130 and to Europe around £85. On the other end of the scale a T-shirt would cost around £6 to USA and about £4 to Europe. So I have a huge amount of variants to contend with.

So I decided to get carrier calculated shipping with FedEd for international orders. The problem? Shopify ONLY deal in weight or price. This means that when the calculator sends info to FedEx, it purely sends the weight, not the box dimension. This means the rate is always WAY off and I would always loose money, every sale.

The box dimensions for a lamp are always 40 x 40 x 60 cm. But the dimensions for say a table vary depending on the design, size etc. So this causes huge issues as the weight of say a table could be 4kg but the package could be huge and need to be calculated based on size NOT just weight.

The next issue is multiple products. What If a customer bought a T-shirt, a print and a lamp? Shopify only sends the weight of those items and so FedEx calculate based on the weight, it does'nt even calculate a multiple consignment. So whats happening is shopify tells fedex that the customer wants to order a single product that weighs X amount. But the truth is that its actually 3 products of various sizes. Again I loose a lot of money.

So I thought I would forget FedEx integration and go down the manual route. To achieve this I would need to find some crazy system that works with the above problems. To make it worse, each country would need a variant for a T-shirt, and then multiples of that T-shirt. Then the same for Lamps, art, prints, furniture etc. The I would need to anticipate a client buying one of each. This results in quite literally thousands of variants that I'm not sure will even work.

So I have a question. Am I the only one who seems to have trouble with this? Is there a decent and plausable method to make this work?

Is it possible to set it up somehow that if a client buys multiple products they are charge shipping on each product? 

example:

1 lamp to USA = £120 + 1 T-shirt to USA = £6 + 1 Wallpaper  to USA = £25 TOTAL SHIPPING = £151.

This seems SO basic yet it seems that its not entirely possible?

I desperately need help with this, so if you can help I would be truly grateful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

I've got a similar problem! We need to be able to set individual shipping costs based on weight, dimension and destination. I thought I had found the perfect solution with the Better Shipping app https://apps.shopify.com/better-shipping until I found out, that one needs to be on the unlimited premium plan to make it work, which is ridiculous! Which small business can afford to pay a monthly fee of almost 200 USD purely to get the shipping to work?!

It really grinds my gears that Shopify has not added individual shipping for products. This appears to be a problem for many years now and they don't seem to have any idea of what this means for a small businesses. Having an online shop with no means of doing the shipping negates having an online shop in the first place!

Sorry I can't be of help and my disgruntled rant :o)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 3

Give my Postcode Shipping Extension a try, it has just been published to the app market.

https://apps.shopify.com/postcode-shipping-extension

If you don't have carrier calculated shipping available on your plan you can have Shopify Support install it for you without upgrading to the unlimited plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I don't know about all of you but I am new to Shopify and my developer plugged me into their services, automatically.  As I work it through and get started, I find that I am not able to pick my own low cost shipper (margins are everything out here) but they dictate to me who is "acceptable" and who isn't as a shipper recognized by Shopify.  In fact, if I want to add a shipper on their list, there is a fee to add them.  I pay almost $50/month CDN to host Shopify as my financial collector provider and yet, I am only able to use three chosen shippers in Canada upon their approval.  Are you kidding me?  This is getting as bad as being on Amazon whereby you need a PhD to host a site (yes I hosted 450 products and over 100 hours to do that and just closed it down because of the BS).  I may just as well gone to doing a website and using Moneris to manage my receivables.  Shopify is right up there with rediculousness (fees, fees) and constraints.

I might just reverse this platform and go at it alone.  I am almost done with this nonsense $$ grab.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Although the query has been raised a while ago, I'm answering this for the benefit of others who might have similar issues. 

Since Shopify still doesn't support product dimensions, you can use the Shopify FedEx App which will help you handle such scenarios. 

With the box packing feature in the app, it will automatically configure custom boxes based on your product weight and dimensions and calculate the FedEx rates accurately. There is no need for you to use the default boxes. Also, you can configure the packing process in such a way that each item is packed individually or based on the weight as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
161 9 53

Hey @Philip1234,

As a shipping app developer, I completely agree with you on the unnecessary fees imposed on merchants to expand their shipping options outside of what Shopify offers.  The $20/mo a-la-carte add-on to be able to utilize third-party carrier services such as our app is a burden imposed by Shopify that should be lifted.  Shopify does offer a work-around to this fee, but it requires you to switch your Shopify plan billing to annual and request that the feature be added to your plan at no charge.  This does have the added benefit of saving you 10% on your Shopify plan.  However, not all merchants can afford to pay for their Shopify plan upfront like that.

Hopefully, Shopify will see the error in their ways and lift this burden from their lower-tier plan merchants as these are the merchants who we find have a greater need for controlling their shipping costs because their margins tend to be tighter, and they don't have the buying power of higher volume merchants to get steeply discounted shipping rates.

Regards,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes