Shipping Options - change order they are displayed

carolinathreadz
Tourist
9 0 46

I have several shipping options. Two are pick-up (free at different locations) and others are pay (USPS). The free options always appear by default when a purchase is made and customers aren't paying attention and leaving it free. Is there a way to change the order of my shipping options? Can I put free at the bottom?

Replies 163 (163)
crankhousecoffe
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi, seems Shopify still haven't fixed this issue and I wanted to try using your tip.

If I set the PICKUP fee to say $100 (as you stated), isn't it then added to the checkout ? How do you remove it from the checkout ?

Unless I'm missing something.

Appreciate any help 

many thanks

Dave

CSDSVinyl
Visitor
1 0 2

I am also having this issue for the exact same reasons as stated above. I have 6 retail locations but my bulk of my inventory is sold online and fulfilled at a different centrally located location. My customers continue to get free local delivery to one of these locations because it is the default and they are not paying attention. It is a huge headache as we processes anywhere from 400-800 orders a day. This is a DAILY issue and I need a solution. I need to be able to reorder the shipping options so that the local delivery is not the default. It seems that Shopify has stopped responding to this thread altogether????

crankhousecoffe
Visitor
2 0 1
I have put a blunt axe type fix in place using the suggestion to add a fee
to the local pickup option so it appears last (or at least not first), then
in the checkout notes give a discount code that voids the shipping fee.
Ugly and I only put it on a few hours ago and no use yet.

We’ll see
ebodyboarding
Tourist
3 0 2

We've been doing this for two years now.  We have a $100 charge for PICKUP, but in the name of that option, it instructs them to enter the code PICKUP to erase that fee.  Still, some people don't enter the code and contact us to ask why they were charged $100.  Nobody reads the fine print!  However, it eliminated the issue of customers who live far away getting the default "free" shipping option when we didn't have a charge attached to it. 

annarosa
Shopify Partner
4 0 14

The question here is simpler than complicated for Shopify. You do not have to make a custom option to choose the shipping order. It is logical that the buyer will select the most economical option and that he prefers. The point here is, that Shopify should weigh the free options. As a store owner, in the free options of free shipping, free collection and free delivery, I see that the ones that could bring more problems for the buyer and seller, WHY PEOPLE DO NOT READ, is the free delivery and collection. These last two should be an option to choose for the client, not that Shopify has it with the first option. In my opinion, looking at it from the seller-customer point of view, it should be in this order:
1. Free shipping
2. Free pickup
3. Free delivery

Option 2 and 3 would not matter the order as long as they are 2nd or 3rd option.

Once this is determined, Shopify all you have to do is modify your schedule with respect to the order that I specify in this writing, which is much easier than making a schedule for store owners to place their own order. This is something that they could have corrected from the first moment it was requested.

remyandvirgin
Tourist
3 0 2

HI SHopify,

When your customers are asking for a good to have feature to help all the merchants to have their business done on shopify platform with ease. You shopify doesn't even care to listen to you customers request keeping you ears closed even after the same requests have been repeatedly requested for years . I dont really understand if your business model is to resolve problems that your users face or to just force everyone to just live with what you force them to use ? 

Is it that hard to just implement a piece of code that will let the users to have them sort the shipping methods and payment methods the way they like to have it on their store ? Its so frustrating to see this

forever-stoked
Tourist
3 0 1

yes,... I hope there is a compitor soon for Shopify, because this is sad display of respect.  

widemanf
Visitor
1 0 1

same problem here - it is becoming a bigger issue every day

wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

same problem here. this seems like it would be a very simple fix and after 3 PAGES of "me too's" think this should get more attention. We are stuck with either eliminating free local pickup or having to continue to reach out to customers and send them an invoice for shipping when they don't end up picking up their orders. It's a poor customer service experience all around. 

ImogenStone
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi, I have two shopify stores and both require this feature. I look forward to your update Peter. Thanks, Sean

lorakeddie
Visitor
1 0 4

We also have this order. Almost daily I'm contacting customers to see if they really are picking up their packages. I've warned off others looking to choose Shopify until they get this figured out. We too would like it fixed before we opt for another provider soon.

rentnrave
Visitor
1 0 2

+1 for this enhancement

jordanchesney
Visitor
1 0 0

I am also having the same issue! please help

jackoftrades
Tourist
8 0 3

I have also removed the "Pickup from our store" feature, because it will always show on top.

When will it be possible to sort Shipping options???

and while you are at it... please let us change the order of Payment options too, and disable some payment options for certain countries...

Mhugo
Tourist
4 0 2

We also have the same problem! Often we find that when a customer uses the express checkout option they then bypass the shipping options entirely. I can only assume that which ever payment provider they are using for the express checkout is using the previous details saved in their browser from an earlier purchase. As far as i can tell, that could be from an entirely different online retailer altogether. This is a huge issue and i echo the sentiment from all the other frustrated vendors posting in this forum. It really does feel like Shopify is hanging us out to dry over this. I've spent endless hours with their support staff on the phone trying to find a resolution and am always left with the same answer of "there's nothing wrong, it must be something the customer is doing wrong". Not good enough Shopify.

Lamay
Visitor
1 0 2

Suggestion: Simply change to code to sort on the RateName instead of Price.  We can then number the names like "1. Abc" or "Zone1 Abc".

(Apologies if this was suggested already.  I did not read though all the pages).

Haraldur
Visitor
2 0 0

I need that option as well

koladj
Visitor
1 0 0

+1 for this feature.

Joel-Reeds
Shopify Partner
165 8 60

I agree that the ability to sort shipping methods manually would be ideal and would definitely benefit a lot of merchants.  Fingers crossed this is announced at Unite?

One workaround some of our users apply is to capitalize on the words "LOCAL PICKUP" so that it captures the customer's attention during the shipping method step which may help prevent some of the situations where a customer mistakenly selects local pickup without reviewing the default shipping method selection.  You can also restrict the Local Pickup option to a shipping zone that covers the state that your physical store is located within.

Another option, if you're open to using a third-party app, is to apply further restrictions on who gets the see the local pickup option at checkout.  Our app Intuitive Shipping allows you to define conditions to your shipping methods, so you can restrict Local Pickup from appearing unless the customer is within a certain radius of your physical store, or within a certain range of postal/zip codes.  Another feature our users like is the ability to define a custom description for the shipping method that appears below the option the customer sees at checkout.  For example, Pick up at 123 Main St., City, State.  Pickup hours are 9am to 4pm EST.  The custom description is another tool to attract the customer's attention so they don't click next without reading the available shipping methods.  The best strategy would be to use a combination of all three steps above to draw the most attention to the Local Pickup option at checkout, while also restricting which customers it is available to.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
Catholicgiftsca
Visitor
2 0 2

Add my name to this as well, please give us the option to change the order of shipping methods.

ag09
Visitor
2 0 0

I’ve come up with a somewhat clunky workaround that can help customers select a shipping option. This only works if you don’t offer free shipping.

On the shipping page, under the subtotal, change the word (edit the language in checkout + system) from “Free” to “Free Pickup” or something similar.

Instead of the customer seeing shipping…... free, they’ll see shipping..….free pickup and will be more likely to notice that it won’t be shipped. 

It’s not perfect, but I think it will help with what would easily be fixed with a simple default shipping option. Add me to the list.

twangypearl
Tourist
5 0 2
We have tried this workaround and several other re-wordings including “I AM ON (PLACE NAME) AND WANT TO PICK UP IN STORE - and none have worked. High volume of folks still choosing the free option. We’ve since eliminated our free pick up in store option and added the following to Standard Shipping “Standard Shipping - Please note that PICK UP in store is FREE - when you pick up your item we will refund your ship charge). So far this is working - but we are now having to email all local customers to ask whether they want to pick up in store or have shipped if they don’t leave a note. But this for us anyway, is much less of a frequency than the other way around.

Please fix this Shopify.
ag09
Visitor
2 0 0

I guess I didn’t explain myself very well. I wasn’t referring to changing the messages in the shipping method options, but the text language where the subtotal, shipping and total are.

The way it’s set up now when the customer looks at the shipping cost under the subtotal, they just see “Free” and think okay. But if it was changed to “Free pick up” it might make them think, I don’t want to have to pick up.

I know it’s not foolproof, but it’s better than just having just the word “free” before checking out. It’s crazy we go to such lengths for such an easy update.

wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

Unfortunately we tried that as well. It's selected first and apparently people don't read. We had to take it off completely and that was one thing we offered locals that we were really excited about. Seems so silly that Shopify can't rectify this by making the options sortable by the owner. 

sudsyandcompany
Tourist
4 0 4

I don't believe that Shopify will correct this issue at all. The numerous amount of threads that date back a number of years show this. They will let this continue to be a problem and force stores to pay for apps... Simple fix that has gone unanswered for years but now we have to add yet another monthly cost to doing business on Shopify. 

Not all stores are online only! What does it take to hear your customers and resolve an issue Shopify?!

tatyanaboutique
Visitor
1 0 1

Peter, 

I think it's hilarious / embarrassing that literally PAGES of paying customers are complaining that they cannot get this feature and that there is nothing being done about it. 

I'll add my name to the list -- I would also like to be able to move the options not sorted by price.

As a software developer I'll even give you a base idea of how to do it:

Add a sort order.  If left default, they would be done by price.

VERY easy change that appears to be ignored by Shopify.

I see you have added a feature request --- Have you added one for every person who has posted?  Where can we see this feature request?  Are they sorted by the number of people who've requested?  What about store level?  If we have Plus or Pro or whatever they're called, is there a higher importance placed on those?

Looking forward to your feedback,

Shane Scott

Tatyana Boutique

carolinathreadz
Tourist
9 0 46
Anyone know if squarespace offers this option? Anyone use squarespace? While doing my research a couple years ago I decided on Shopify, but this issue is costing me money and customers. In my mind it truly is an easy fix.
Joel-Reeds
Shopify Partner
165 8 60

Other platforms that we have worked with allowed merchants and apps to set a 'sort_order' value to a shipping method.  This is a numeric value that sorts the shipping methods based on the lowest to highest sort_order value.  This means you could set an option such as Pickup In-Store to a high sort_order value (e.g. 999) so that it always appears as the last option in the shipping method list.

+1 hoping Shopify introduces this functionality as we see this request multiple times per week from our users.

forever-stoked
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Peter, Yes please !!! I also want my "FREE" shipping option to be listed at the bottom.  We are currently using Magento but I thought we would make a Shopify store to see if we should change over... We are still deciding.   The fact that this very simple request has been unsolved for 9 months despite pages and pages of requests is pretty sad on Shopifies behalf. 

Branman1986
Tourist
4 0 4
Yeah this is literally the stupidest thing ever. Clearly Shopify knows and can change this easily, but realize they can make money by offering paid solutions. But this is super stupid low hanging fruit, but they are weighing our displeasure with profits. When enough people leave because of this issue and they lose more money than they're making on the revenue from apps and upgrades, they'll change it. But they're banking that nobody will leave over this issue.

Super super super lame.
wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

Agreed. But where is their trusty "Shopify experts" who weigh in and tell us we are all idiots, don't know what we are talking about and should be more concerned that we aren't making enough money to justify paying $200+ a month for this feature?? That's what I got when I first starting pushing for this feature. Haven't seen one weigh in on this in a while. Just ignoring us all? 

sudsyandcompany
Tourist
4 0 4
Good news! Shopify has local pickup options now. Just released yesterday. Finally!!!
Joel-Reeds
Shopify Partner
165 8 60

Anyone interested in having Store Pickup enabled on their shop will need to contact Shopify support per their help article.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/pos-classic/shopify-pos-from-admin/buy-online-pick...

wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

Hallelujah!! It's our lucky day!! FINALLY!!!!! Thank you Shopify!

carolinathreadz
Tourist
9 0 46

There has always been a local pickup option. 

This is not the complaint here.

PLEASE allow us to change the order of delivery options so that local pickup (free) is NOT the default.  Customers are selecting this by mistake (default) and not paying for shipping.  It really makes us (your customers) look bad when we have to contact our customers and ask for more money.  

PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Joel-Reeds
Shopify Partner
165 8 60

@carolinathreadz this is true, but previously the local pickup option was just a standard shipping method with no cost and the name changed to "Local Pickup".  The new system is drastically different and gives a tabbed option at checkout for the customer to switch between Store Pickup and Delivery.

shopify_delivery.png

shopify_pickup.png

This means you're no longer having to surface a free shipping option with the name Local Pickup at checkout and hoping the customer reads the shipping method title before clicking next.

carolinathreadz
Tourist
9 0 46

Thank you for the explanation.  This sounds promising.  I'll be setting it up later today.

TheStoreHaworth
Visitor
2 0 3

@carolinathreadz   I wish the process was normally as quick as it appears to have been for you!!

simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19
I received a response from Shopify!!! YAY!!!! It read “Congratulations on getting 10 likes” 🤬
carolinathreadz
Tourist
9 0 46

I watched the video tutorial.  It seemed easy enough.  It said all I had to do was contact support.

I waited 32 minutes on "chat hold" to finally be told this...I can't get this option "yet".  And then the rep went on to try to sell me on apps.  I will paste the chat responses verbatim.  Hopefully, everyone else will have some success getting this feature added.

SHOPIFY:  From what I see here, your store is not yet ready for the Shopify feature to be added. With that in mind, we do still have alternate solutions available. For example, one of our app partners Zapiet is currently offering an extended 45-day free trial with their Covid Response, to their Store Pickup + Delivery app. This allows you to implement a feature where you can specify products to only include pickup options, or offer pickup and delivery in tandem, depending on customer preference. To sign up and benefit from the 45-day free trial, visit this link. To learn more about the app itself, and see screenshots of it in-action, see Store Pickup + Delivery in the Shopify App Store.

ME:  Is there a time frame?

SHOPIFY:  There is not an exact timeframe available at the moment, no, however I do know we have multiple teams working on this to roll it out as soon as possible. You can keep an eye on our Shopify Changelog for when the feature is rolled out to everybody, or, feel free to chat back in occasionally and we can let you know if there are any updates available.

simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19
I watched the clip and then added the option in checkout to my account no bother. Clearly the settings on mine were, by fluke, the right ones.
Is your account fulfilment address set up, ie, do your normal orders say that they are posted from your shop?
simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19
An earlier post of mine suggests that customers may not notice the (new) tab for pick up. I have kept my ‘Click and Collect’ option as well just in case. Of course, this still gets bumped to the top, but it nestled next to my ‘Free local delivery’ option, so Joe Public is going to pick it anyway 🥴
simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19

Far be it for me to labour a point, but of 5 orders received yesterday evening, 2 selected ‘Free delivery to the local area’, despite each being over 50 miles away. This delivery option, first in the list on the checkout delivery page because (presumably) it is the cheapest, was ignored by the customer who didn’t even look at it.

Having previously been a computer programmer for many years, I know that apps NEED to be coded such that the end product works best for the customer (MY customer); this does not mean it is coded in the easiest way or perhaps the way that we might think is right in the first instance.

PLEASE amend the code to either 1. not select the zero price option as default, 2. Not have a default setting so it has to be selected by the end customer, or 3. allow the delivery options to be sorted so that the default option is defined by the shop keeper (who does actual now what they are talking about).

wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

I'm not sure you have the local pickup option set up correctly if free shipping is still showing up in the choices of shipping costs? The free pickup is one of two tabs. The first one with shipping options doesn't show a free option. Make sure you don't have another previously set up free or local pickup rule set up in your shipping options. We currently have free shipping over $100 and that will show up for those checkouts. But all others will not. 

Shopify3.jpgShopify4.jpg

simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19

@wyo27 Thanks for this. 

Firstly, if the free shipping tab was highlighted in the way that you have done, then my customers wouldn’t be able to miss it. As they DO miss it, I use both this tab AND a Free Shipping option in the list. 

Secondly, my more fundamental issue is that a shipping option is set by default and does not have to be selected by the customer. The shipping options are listed by Shopify in price order, therefore the free options appear first. As I offer free local delivery and I also offer free shipping for orders over a certain value, both options appear at the top of the list; one option is always set as a default; and my customers invariably go along with whatever is there. If my customer had to select an option to be able to proceed, this issue would be immediately resolved.

Hi @Shauna_M . Sorry to drag you into this. Do you know if Shopify have any work around or solution to this issue? Please note that this is not an enhancement request, but an issue fix.

wyo27
Excursionist
15 0 11

@simonpackham I think I understand. I offer a free shipping over $100 as well but it doesn't show up in the list until their cart reaches that amount. If they are local and want to pick up then they would just select that tab? Your free local delivery option should only show up in the tabbed section I believe unless you have a separate shipping rule set up for that. I did have that originally and had to go into my shipping rules and delete it. Now if they order anything under $100 the standard rates appear, over $100 the free shipping shows. Could you show a screenshot? 

Sammy_J
Visitor
2 0 1

I really wish Shopify would seriously look at this 'default' issue - it is really frustrating and time wasting for both parties and you can totally see how it is missed so often by customers.  It causes a delay getting the order shipped because half the time it takes a day or two for the customer to either acknowledge your email (hopefully doesn't sit in their junk folder for a week) or it takes them a few days to pay for the postage.  As eCommerce stores we are always very conscious of giving our customers a seamless experience online and being able to provide quick turnarounds from purchase to delivery - come on Shopify flip it from most expensive to least expensive at least or give us the option to choose the default shipping rate. 

simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19

Firstly, THANK YOU for addressing this issue. This now goes a long way to solving how to process local pickups. I understand that, as a part of this, Shopify have needed to implement a solution where pickups from multiple locations needs to ensure that stock is available at those locations.

Initial thoughts on the update, while great for the above reason looks likely to be missed by customers that are searching for a 'what do I do next?' route through checkout. Time will tell on this, but the functionality as far as it goes looks great.

I am small fry in the world of Shopify, so probably don't really count. But, I have a retail outlet (currently closed) and an online presence that has suddenly become busier. To develop my remaining source of business (online), I need to make the offering as sweet as I can for my customers. Offering local free delivery is one of these and is proving popular with a percentage of my customers, however, this (free) option is bumped to the top of the list in delivery route and selected by too many of my distance customers (perhaps in IQ as well as mileage!). If customers were required to actively select the delivery option, this should resolve the situation.

Is this something that can be looked at?

FBM0616
Visitor
2 0 2
I have been using the “free pickup” option for quite a while now. However, at checkout, it defaults to this and I have a lot of customers not even notice. I am having to go back in and refund or create a separate listing to cover shipping costs. It would be incredibly helpful if the order can be changed by us user admins, instead of being forced to have it default to free pickup. It would save a lot of time and hassle.
simonpackham
Excursionist
19 0 19

@FBM0616 Welcome along to the increasing number of people who complain about this very situation ... but are ignored by Shopify because it forces us to use paid apps from which I’m sure Shopify also derive income.

Message to Shopify: Would you refute this claim?