Shipping Rates Aren't Pulling Through Properly at Checkout

Solved
AmTay19
2 0 0

Hello,

I'm new here (since June 2020) and am still learning the ropes around Shopify. I've set up my general shipping rates to be based on weight (this seems the be the better option between price-based and weight-based due to the variety of products I offer) but when customers check out (and when I've done my own test orders) I always get the $14.95 rate. For some of my products, this rate is far too much to be asking for shipping. I only have one zone - the United States, and only have 5 different rate variants to choose from. From what I've learned from Shopify tutorials, whatever weight is entered in for the product determines how much the shipping should be based on my weight variants. Yet, I can't seem to figure out why the correct shipping rates aren't pulling through at checkout. I've looked all over for a solution to this problem, but I haven't been able to see any results. 

For reference, here are my shipping rates:

Rates SnapShot.GIF

Here are my package sizes:

Package Size SnapShot.GIF

The only time I was able to get the correct rate was when I changed the default package to the size I was actually going to use if I shipped out that specific product. Is it because the default package weight is added to the product weight, and then the two added together equals that specific shipping rate? If that's the case, why even have the option to add multiple boxes and weights other than to have the choice when purchasing a shipping label through Shopify? I know there are apps that allow you to specify your shipping weights and options even further, but we're just starting out, and paying extra for a shipping app isn't an option at the moment. 

Would someone be able to tell me if there's a user-error here or if what I'm trying to do isn't possible with the basic shipping abilities that Shopify offers? Or does anyone have any insights on how I might be able to fix the problem without a 3rd party app?

Many thanks!!

0 Likes
catsatisfye
1 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hi!

Not sure if anyone has shared an answer with your. If you have the weight of your product in the product listing, it is adding the default packaging weight to the product weight. Having different package sizes available doesn't make sense when only the default package size and weight are used.

I leave the weight at zero for my default package, since all of the product listings have accurate weight with a little extra to account for the poly bag. For the dims on default package, I found my largest average package to be the best choice as default without adding much to the smaller items we sell.

When you look through this forum, it's been a point of frustration for a few years. The Shopify recommendation is setting up an app with a 3rd party label company to get more accurate courier costs.

We used 3rd party for a couple of years and are now currently using Shopify rates. I hope this helps!

0 Likes
AmTay19
2 0 0

Thank you so much! This definitely makes more sense than keeping the package weights and product weights all separated. I’ve tried this for a few weeks and it’s much smoother than what I was trying to do before.

Many thanks! 

0 Likes