Shipping Rates, Dimensions, Apps etc

Highlighted
1 0 1

So I'm sure it has been asked but what have other people found that works for shipping their products. I'm not live yet but am realizing that Shopify goes by the weight only not what the dimension actually is.(Or am I wrong).  So do I set things up as a 'flat rate' (win on some orders and loose on some) or go with an app. Or is their another choice

What I really want is to assign product 'A' L X W X H and the weight.

Thx

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3393 252 612

Hi @precision1,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question!

Shipping rates within the Shopify admin can set by both weight (as you mentioned) and price for regular posting services. If your store's on the Advanced Shopify plan or higher, then you can offer calculated shipping rates from USPS, Canada Post, FedEx, UPS, and other carriers using your own credentials. Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) rates are only presented to your customers with the rates that are applicable to their order based on the total weight of the order, your default shipment dimensions which are used by the carrier to calculate the rates or custom business rates. With CCS rates you wouldn't lose out on any shipping rates. There are some apps you can look into to help setting up customized rates to go along with CCS should you wish. 

A good rule of thumb to have with shipping is to make sure you at least break even and don't lose out any money with rates. How you go about this really depends on how you want to set it up. Shopify has created a helpful guide for setting up your shipping rates which you might find useful in finding the best way for you. You can see it here

I hope this helps. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

You can also try the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app if you are shipping with FedEx. The app allows you to add the weight as well as dimensions of the product and calculate the rates based on this. With the packaging automation feature, the app also selects the packages automatically based on the weight and dimensions and calculate the FedEx rates accurately. 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

The most accurate rates come up with purely weight, or dimensional weighted rates. A dimensional weight is calculated using the following formula : l x b x h / 5000.

So a solution that calculates both these weights and then sends the higher of the two to the carrier API for rate calculation is ideally the right solution. You can try the Multi Carrier Shipping label app for this purpose.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted

@AnindoI would argue that the most accurate rates come with a 4D packing algorithm, such as Intuitive Shipping's proprietary SmartBoxing algorithm. What we do at Intuitive Shipping is take the dimensions and weight of all of the items the merchant has in the cart, then at checkout, our algorithm will select the most efficient (cheapest & most eco friendly) packing for an order and charge the customer accurate live rates at checkout. This option also sends the packing data to the orders so that merchants can replicate how to efficiently pack for cost savings on boxes, labour, and rates. 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping
Execute a strategic approach to shipping | Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Fantastic App and functionality but Intuitive Shipping doesn't support Live Rates for the labels you purchase from Shopify (which in most cases are much cheaper than even deep pre-negotiated rates from UPS and Fedex) 

If you could tap the Shopify Label pricing It would open up your potential customer base significantly. 

0 Likes