Shipping Restrictions without Carrier Calcuated Rates?

Highlighted
1 0 1

I am a small farm/ start up food company. I would like to offer refrigerated and frozen foods locally and to ship. Paying $400 a month for calculated carrier rates, shipping restrictions and Edit Order is not realistic for me right now.

Is there a work around or some other option that can do this? 

For example, I have 1 pack of pork chops. Customer may want to 1) pick up local - so no cooler & dry ice or shipping  fees would apply. Or 2) Wants it shipped, therefore, an additional shipping & handling fee is required. This is not all I offer so that additional fee would be product specific.

I do not see how this can be set up without Carrier Calculated Rates so that I can use shipping apps to break down my options.......is that correct?

I also offer other products that are more straight forward, like spices. So, I have a mixed product line.

Hopefully, there's an option out there I don't yet understand!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
514 34 73

Hi, @ljensen!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Whenever product-specific rates are necessary, it is easiest to use an app that allows you to set custom rates. Otherwise, the Online Store checkout will only be using the total cost of the cart to determine which price-based rates are applicable, or the total weight of the cart + the weight of the default package to determine which weight-based rates or carrier shipping rates are applicable.

Third-party apps that allow custom shipping rates do require our Carrier Calculated Shipping feature in order to function with your Online Store. The Carrier Calculated Shipping feature is included in the Advanced plan, but there are a couple other options for adding it to your store.

We can actually add Carrier Calculated Shipping for $20/month to any monthly plan, or we can add it for free if you’re switching from monthly billing on any plan to annual, biennial, or triennial billing. These billing options also offer between 10-25% savings on your Shopify subscription, and you can check them out under Settings > Account > Compare plans > Change your billing period.

Without an app that uses Carrier Calculated Shipping, you would likely need to add manual price-based or weight-based rates and trust that your customers will choose the correct rate for their needs. If they don’t choose the right option, you can always charge them any additional shipping costs separately (by draft order or with the upcoming order editing feature) or process a partial refund if they paid for a higher cost shipping method than they needed. Here’s an example of what those manual rates could look like:

15-03-uzzr9-ud1id

With this method, it’s important to label the rates with clear names like “Store Pickup at [THIS LOCATION]” or “Standard Shipping (cooler & dry ice included)” to reduce the potential for customers choosing the wrong rate.

By the way, what tasks are you currently using the Edit Order app for? I’m curious because a new built-in feature for editing orders might save you the cost of the app you’re using if it covers the tasks you use the app for. It’s currently in beta, but keep an eye out for that feature to be available in your admin as it rolls out so you can test it out!

Please let me know if any of the options above work for you and if you have further questions. I’d be happy to continue to discuss this with you.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

@ljensen Did you find a solution to this?  In the same situation as you! Thanks!

0 Likes