Shipping Setup

Solved
Revolv
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi,
I'm new to Shopify, I'm finishing up my store, and I'm struggling with setting up shipping.  I'm having two problems.  I've created a custom package for the USPS priority mail EP14 Tyvek envelope.  I have on product, and this envelope will hold up to two units/pieces.  In running tests, checkout will allow me to keep adding to this envelope, and increases the shipping cost based solely on weight. 
The second issue is that I've added a medium flat rate box (which will also hold up to two of my product), because it is a cheaper option for zones which are farther away.  Shopify only shows the option for the priority mail envelope (it is set as the default package). 
Are there advanced shipping rules hidden somewhere that I've been unable to find?

0 Likes
Dani
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 84

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Revolv ,

Dani here from Shopify! Thanks for writing in and welcome to Shopify!

This is a great question, I'd be happy to dive into this further with you. By default, the shipping options shown at checkout will be based on the default package size solely. This is because our platform currently doesn't take into account the dimensions of the products so it's not able to determine which package is correct and how many products can fit into each package. This is a feature that our developers are working on so hopefully will be introduced as a native feature to the platform soon.

In order to do what you're looking for, I'd suggest using a third-party app. We have quite a few shipping apps in our app store that should do the trick. I've linked three below:

How have you found your onboarding process so far? I'd be happy to help answer any further questions you may have! Have you had a chance to take a look at our free Shopify Academy courses?

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Revolv
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Dani,
Thank you for answering my question. I hope this feature is made available on the basic Shopify platform sooner rather than later.  It is difficult to justify the expense of a third-part app when your store is brand new and your sales aren't there yet. 

Thank you for the Shopify Academy recommendation.  This is the first I have heard of it.  I will definitely take advantage of it. 

Best regards,
Chris

Dani
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 84

I definitely understand that @Revolv. We appreciate the feedback so much, as this is how we know how to better the platform to suit the needs of our merchants.

Thanks again,

Dani 

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
HariKrishna
Shopify Partner
492 7 45

Since Shopify currently doesn't take into account the dimensions of the products, it is not able to determine the correct package and the number of products that can be fit in a package. To achieve this, you need to use an app that helps you with advanced packaging methods. Along with the apps mentioned here, you can also check out the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app, that will help you automate the packaging process based on the product weight & dimensions. You can add custom boxes based on the product and the app automatically chooses the right box based on the customer input. Also, the app helps you handle the shipping process as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
SHOtime
Tourist
7 0 5

I have the same issue, and of course Shopify mentions a 3rd party app that requires a monthly fee.   Extremely frustrating...

wendifendi
1 0 0

Hi,

Im new to Shopify and found myself stuck with this exact issue. Although this thread is 2019, I would like to know if now in 2021, if there are third party apps free of charge for live automated rates? Seems like calculating based on dimensions is still not a feature thous requiring an app. 

0 Likes
Revolv
Tourist
3 0 1

A year and a half after asking this question, I can offer the solution that worked best for me.  I hope this is helpful to others who are getting started and don't have the budget to pay a monthly fee for an additional app.  This is just my advice, your mileage may vary.

Unless you have one item which always ships in the same size package, save yourself the effort of trying to make calculated shipping work.  Most customers don't have a clear idea of what shipping actually costs anyway, as large companies such as Amazon have skewed their perspective by offering free or deeply reduced shipping costs.  If you charge calculated shipping, you will likely have a lot of abandoned carts.

Create a general shipping profile for your any or all of your smaller items.  This will need to cover an average shipping cost so that you don't lose money. 

For larger items create separate individual shipping profiles.

In the case where customers may wish to order multiples of an item you sell, offer those in bundles on your site, then create separate shipping profiles for the package sizes and weights required to ship those bundles.  Often time you can incentivize larger sales by offering a better price if the customer buys multiples.  You can make up some of this on what you will save on shipping.  In some cases you might be able to offer "free" shipping for orders over a certain dollar amount.  You will have to eat the shipping cost on your "free" shipping, so make sure the dollar amount to get "free" shipping is high enough to cover your shipping costs.

If you can get your items in the correct package size and weight, take advantage of Cubic Shipping rates from USPS.  In most cases, it can save you a bundle. Shopify Basic does not offer USPS Cubic rates, so you will have to go with a third party like Pirate Ship.  Pirate Ship has a free Shopify app, by the way.  I have no affiliation with Pirate Ship.

Last, and this is just my experience, I roll part of my shipping cost into the price of my items, so that I can offer a reduced shipping cost at checkout.  For some reason when the shipping cost is around $5-$6, it seems to be okay, but as it gets much higher my customers tend to bail.  

Good luck!

0 Likes