Shipping Setup

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi,
I'm new to Shopify, I'm finishing up my store, and I'm struggling with setting up shipping.  I'm having two problems.  I've created a custom package for the USPS priority mail EP14 Tyvek envelope.  I have on product, and this envelope will hold up to two units/pieces.  In running tests, checkout will allow me to keep adding to this envelope, and increases the shipping cost based solely on weight. 
The second issue is that I've added a medium flat rate box (which will also hold up to two of my product), because it is a cheaper option for zones which are farther away.  Shopify only shows the option for the priority mail envelope (it is set as the default package). 
Are there advanced shipping rules hidden somewhere that I've been unable to find?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 79

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Revolv ,

Dani here from Shopify! Thanks for writing in and welcome to Shopify!

This is a great question, I'd be happy to dive into this further with you. By default, the shipping options shown at checkout will be based on the default package size solely. This is because our platform currently doesn't take into account the dimensions of the products so it's not able to determine which package is correct and how many products can fit into each package. This is a feature that our developers are working on so hopefully will be introduced as a native feature to the platform soon.

In order to do what you're looking for, I'd suggest using a third-party app. We have quite a few shipping apps in our app store that should do the trick. I've linked three below:

How have you found your onboarding process so far? I'd be happy to help answer any further questions you may have! Have you had a chance to take a look at our free Shopify Academy courses?

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi @Dani,
Thank you for answering my question. I hope this feature is made available on the basic Shopify platform sooner rather than later.  It is difficult to justify the expense of a third-part app when your store is brand new and your sales aren't there yet. 

Thank you for the Shopify Academy recommendation.  This is the first I have heard of it.  I will definitely take advantage of it. 

Best regards,
Chris

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 79

I definitely understand that @Revolv. We appreciate the feedback so much, as this is how we know how to better the platform to suit the needs of our merchants.

Thanks again,

Dani 

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Since Shopify currently doesn't take into account the dimensions of the products, it is not able to determine the correct package and the number of products that can be fit in a package. To achieve this, you need to use an app that helps you with advanced packaging methods. Along with the apps mentioned here, you can also check out the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app, that will help you automate the packaging process based on the product weight & dimensions. You can add custom boxes based on the product and the app automatically chooses the right box based on the customer input. Also, the app helps you handle the shipping process as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes