Shipping a Large Order Internationally

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi everyone,

We have just received a large order from Germany for a number of our gift boxes. Our shop is based in Canada and we state on our website that we only ship to Canada and the US, however due to the size of the order we would like to do everything we can to fulfill it.

We have been researching how to fulfill the order through a major carrier like FedEx or UPS, however the cost is really high (in most estimates the shipping cost is over 1/3 of the total retail price excluding customs and duties). The total order is around 29 kgs, however due to the size if we ship them all at once, we may need to select a freight option. We have also explored whether it would be more cost effective to break the shipment into three parts but are unsure what the best option is.

Does anyone have experience with shipping large orders to Europe or resources you would recommend? Thank you in advance for any feedback, we really appreciate it! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 1

How about Purolator?

Decimal | Shipping Rates Calculator for Shopify | Los Angeles, California, USA | https://apps.shopify.com/decimal
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I have been in business 8 years and ship to Germany quite often. Depending on the weight of your final order, you can mix and match with Priority Flat Rate boxes and your own boxes to make the shipping as low as possible. I only use USPS because the other carriers are prohibitively expensive for my products. So for example, I have broken a large order into 2-3 boxes, putting the heaviest items in the Flat Rate box and the lighter items in a Uline cardboard box. It's about the lowest cost I've found. Now, of course, you are risking more boxes that could possibly get delayed or lost but USPS Priority International has pretty good tracking.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @TheBoxShop,

Yes, it would be more cost-effective to break the shipment into three parts and then ship them. FedEx would be a good option since international shipping is handled well in FedEx. Now, if you are getting more and more similar orders, it would be a difficult task to handle it since breaking each shipment into different parts and shipping them separately will not be practical.

In such cases, you can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app to handle FedEx freight shipping. You just need to enable the freight option to ship heavy products. The app also helps you show live FedEx rates, print FedEx labels in bulk and also handle the FedEx tracking.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes