Shipping by item weight, not total weight

Emma94
Visitor
2 0 0

I have one shipping profile, for domestic shipping. In reality, my products shipping cost is related to the size of the product. So what I've done is assigned a number to each 'size' and use that number as a 'weight' in shopify, for example:

Small = 1 = 1lb. = $20

Medium = 2 = 2lb. = $25

Large = 3 = 3lb. = $60

Here is my problem: If someone orders a 'small' and a 'medium' item, it is going to cost me $45 to ship ($20+$25), but shopify is lumping them together and seeing that the total order is 3lb., so it charges them $60, which overcharges the customer by $15. What I want is for the shipping charges to be charged per item in the order, not based on the total weight.

Does anyone know how to do this???

Replies 3 (3)

Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
191 13 33

Hi @Emma94,

If a customer orders 2x Small + 3x Medium, should the shipping charge still be just $45 ($20 + $25)? Or should it be $115 (($20 + $20) + ($25 + $25 + $25))?

If it's the former, you can create a Shipping Profile for each size, then set the shipping rate accordingly per size. When a customer orders a Small and Medium, they will be charged $45.

If it's the latter, I don't believe this is possible with Shopify Shipping. If you're open to using an app, Intuitive Shipping lets you set up weight-based or item-based Shipping Methods per product type, which you can then blend together with a Combined Shipping Method.

For example, you can tag all of your Small items, then create a Shipping Scenario with a 'small' Tag Condition. In that Scenario, you can add a shipping method with a 'per pound' or 'per item' shipping cost of $20. You would then repeat the process for Medium and Large items. And finally, you would set up your Combined Shipping Method to blend everything together properly at checkout.

If you find that the multiple Shipping Profiles solution is not adequate enough, and you'd like more information about how Intuitive Shipping works, you can book an appointment to have one of our team members give you a demo. You can install Intuitive Shipping for free and try us out in Testing Mode to make sure we're a good fit for your store.

Best regards,

Ron

Customer Experience Manager @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
Emma94
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi Ron,

It's the former. To create a shipping profile, do I have to individually
add each product to the profile? I have a lot of products, so I want to be
able to set parameters so that products with a certain weight are
automatically included in that profile.
Ron-Anderson
Shopify Partner
191 13 33

Hi @Emma94,

Yes, unfortunately, you will need to add products individually to the Profiles. If they have a common word in their product names, you can search the word and it will list them all so that you can check them all from the list. But you won't be able to filter them by their product weight. 

You can do this with Intuitive Shipping, however. Instead of having a product condition, you can apply a weight condition, like: Weight > Equals > 10 -- or Weight > Less Than or equals > 10.

Best regards,
Ron

Customer Experience Manager @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles