Shipping charges as a percentage?

chris_wetmore
2 0 0

Shipping. I am shipping live plants. Weight varies drastically depending on soil moisture content and not all plants are the same size even if they are the same "size" in my catalog. Make sense?...hence shipping charges vary big time. From reading forums I have found out that putting an option of charging a percentage of the sale is not an option. Shopify has many excellent features but this is a big one that, for me, if missing is very disappointing. It do feel it would be a very easy add on for Shopify. Am I overlooking this and it is available?

I would like a flat fee up to a certain amount, thinking $50, and anything over that shipping be 20% of the order. Doing increments is a mess. I am getting a bunch of emails from people asking me what shipping increments are and there are so many I can't even begin to describe and what's worse is I need to add more increments. I want to be fair to the customer but also can't lose money on my end.

Has anyone hired an expert to add this to their page? How much did it cost? Is this even possible?

Thank you for your help.

Chris

0 Likes
Kyle_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
119 0 16

Hey Chris,

Kyle here from Shopify,

Unfortunately, there isn't anyway to calculate shipping as a % of the order. In order to offload the support debt of customers emailing, have you considered adding a shipping calculator to your cart page? 

We have some documentation on how to do it, you can check that out here. If you are having trouble adding the Shipping Calculator to your store this is something you could hire a Shopify Expert to help setup for you.

Your Guru,
Kyle

0 Likes
chris_wetmore
2 0 0

Kyle,

Thank you for the reply. My theme does have a shipping calculator. The problem is people are wanting to know my increments. I never imagined I would get this many questions in a week on it. Telling them 20% of the order is easy. Do you know if I hire an expert, can a % of the sale still be done by the expert? Or is this just not possible at all? I just don't want to lose sales on something this silly.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes
Kyle_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
119 0 16

Chris,

This sort of thing may be possible to achieve through an app, it's just that there are no apps that have created a shipping method that is a % of the cart size.

You could try reaching out to an app developer like those behind Better Shipping to see if they would be interested in creating it for you.

Your Guru,
Kyle 

0 Likes
PeterVarden
1 0 0

Hi All,

Was there a solution found to this or has shopify progressed so that it is possible to offer shipping at a % of the shopping cart?

Thanks ,

Peter 

0 Likes