Shipping error - debut theme

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 0
Hi all

Currently experiencing an error when trying to check out.

‘Your cart has been updated and the previous shipping rate isn’t valid, select a new rate’

I have created free shipping when spending £50+. £3.50 for standard shipping £0-49.99 or £6.50 for express shipping £0+ (any spend)

How do I create the intended without issue?

Many thanks
T
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 151

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @mb123 !

Katy here from Shopify! Thanks so much for reaching back out to our Community here.

When specifying shipping rates in your Shopify admin, these can be set as weight based rates or price based rates. This is based on the total order weight or total order price. The checkout will display all available rates based on your settings. 

Taking your example here, the option: 

• For standard shipping should show, when the total order price is between £0 -£49.99.
  • For express shipping it should show when the total order price is above £0 (so this should be shown with any purchase, as you suggest)
  • For free shipping should show when the total order price is above £50. 

As I have just verified your details, I have been able to check on this for your store. The rates do appear to be showing okay for me:

30-49-ipqoj-f4y28

Do you have an example product, or amount of products which you have been testing this with, and also the country where you had tested shipping this order to?  If you have only just applied these shipping rates, you may then need to clear your browser cache before testing this out.

I hope this helps, though do let me know how this goes for you, or if you have any questions at all.

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi Katy,

I'm not the original poster but have a similar issue. Free shipping works fine for me until the customer inputs a discount code. On shopify, it applies the discount code, sees order over the threshold ($50), but then once it switches over to PayPal there's an error that says "your cart has been updated and the previous shipping rate isn't valid. Select a new rate".

Is there a fix to this?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 151

Hi, @JYPark !

Thanks so much for joining in here - that is perfectly okay, and I would love to help you out with this. 

During the checkout process a number of checks are carried out to ensure that information is correct prior to a customer completing their order. Usually where information does not match up, the checkout will then update to reflect any changes, and a banner (similar to the one you describe) will then be displayed to inform the customer of this. This usually happens when items have been added/removed from the cart or if the order has been adjusted in any way. 

If no information has been changed, it is then interesting that this banner is showing up. If the discount has been accounted for (before being redirected for payment) and the value of the total order remains over $50, in this case the free shipping option should still apply.

It is a little tricky however to determine this without seeing an example. I have sent you an email so that we can verify your details to check on this. If you could reply to me when you can that would be great.

Cheers,
Katy

Highlighted
1 0 0

Shipping Error.png

My customer informed she that my website gave her an alert that the item could not be shipped to her address.  She is in California and so is my store.  I tried to complete an order using another California address and got the same alert.  What could be the problem?  Thanks, CeceVQS

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 151

Hi, @CeceVQS !

I am sorry to hear that, though thanks so much for joining in here.

I have placed a test order using the above information, and this does seem to be showing rates for me. Let me show you here:

28-53-a93ic-hi2lo

Had you been able to resolve this? Although our store is based in the same location as your customer's shipping address, you will still need to configure your shipping settings. This can be done manually, or by connecting an app.  There is some info to help with this here

Great job on placing a test order yourself. In these situations some additional things to check for include:

• Ensuring that all products are set to require shipping 
  • Ensuring that you have correctly specified your shipping zones
  • Ensuring that the rates which you have specified can accommodate for the total order price/ weight

Do let me know how you get on, or if you need any help. It might also be worth checking in your abandoned checkouts to see if any other customers experienced this. Perhaps you could touch base with them or tailor the abandoned checkout email to reflect this in some way. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Katy

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

We have been seeing this same error intermittently on our page and it's concerning, because we don't know how often this is happening. Initially it happened to one customer 4 times before she gave up. She said that it displayed this message after she entered a coupon code. I tried from my location  in California with her address and wasn't able to replicate it.

My business partner was able to reproduce the error once, without using a discount code (screen shot below), but we have no idea what's going on. We tried changing to flat rate shipping to see if that helps. Scary because we could test this and it could still be throwing errors we can't see until a customer is nice enough to send a screen shot. Conversions for us have been really down so I hope we can get this piece figured out.

Any help is appreciated! 

TD Cart Error.pngTD Cart Issue.jpg

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 151

Hi, @by55!

Thanks so much for joining in here. I am sorry to hear that you seem to be experiencing difficulty with this, and can indeed understand your concern. 

Thank you for providing screenshots here also - these are very helpful. I have tested this myself for both items that you have referenced and have not been able to replicate this. Though I do also understand that you have since changed your shipping settings.

12-46-p1ekz-nr106

12-49-yvuao-snr9k

Although indeed curious that it appears to be/have been displaying this message intermittently for you, it is a little difficult to determine the cause without accessing additional information (via your abandoned checkouts and shipping settings). I've sent you an email so that we can check on this in more detail. If you could reply to me when you can that would be great.

Cheers,

Katy

Highlighted
1 0 1

This issue is not resolved but I think I found a solution.

Our store mostly sells smaller items, magnets, postcards, ornaments, the occasional book, etc. Under shipping zones, we selected USPS's "First Class Mail" and "First Class Package". In nearly all of our orders, this was fine and worked without any issues.

I had a customer complain that they couldn't place their order for the issue above and that they received the same message about shipping not being available for them. I figured this was user error and manually created an order, but when the customer went to enter their payment information, the same issue occurred. I even tried it on my end, and received the same error.

I made sure each product had proper weight added to their profiles, that the location they were shipping from was included, but nothing solved the issue, until…

I went into my Shipping settings, and on a whim looked up First Class vs Priority and realized larger orders may be too big for first class, even if the items themselves are small. Once I enabled "Priority Mail" in our Shipping settings, and reloaded the checkout page, the error was gone and I was now able to select "Priority Mail" as the shipping method. 

I think what's happening is when the API sends the order weight to the carrier to calculate shipping costs, the order may fall out of the criteria for the services you offer. If you don't offer a service that can accommodate the order in question, then the error occurs.

It's possible that when the Shopify staff try a test order, for whatever reason the order adheres to the criteria for the shipping service they select/have available, or maybe their test orders aren't calculated the same way or use the API in the same way since they are test orders.

Highlighted
2 0 2

Thanks @Katy  and I sent you an email

@DSalvemini I bet you are right on with the API issue and I'm going to install some better conversion tracking so we can see if this is really affecting people. After making the rate to flat rate shipping, things feel a little more stable with traffic and conversions.