Shipping labels single order with multiple boxes

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

I'm rather new to Shopify and have spent much of the day dealing with the fact that you can't set up shipping costs per item.  In my testing I have this situation. If I order one box of a product the calculated shipping is $12.97.  If I change it to two boxes of the same product the shipping increases to $15.11.  I guess the $15.11 is for one box weighing what the two boxes weigh in total.  So, presuming the true shipping cost is 2*12.97= $25.94, how do I print two labels and pay the appropriate amount for shipping.  This is not obvious to me from looking at the Fulfillment area of the admin. I'd appreciate any help. I just may not get something clearly as yet.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 132

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, Damienjc.

My name is Lizzy and I’m from the support team at Shopify.

To answer your question, it is possible to print multiple shipping labels on an order with more than one box required. To do this, set the quantity of the items you want to fulfill first to a number greater than 0 and the ones you'll fulfill next to 0. This will adjust the shipping label to include only the items with a quantity above 0. You can complete the purchase of the label and the order will now display as "Partially Fulfilled." You can repeat this process until all of your items are fulfilled with shipping labels purchased. 

24-19-uwhdd-20tdd

There are also a couple of ways to set up shipping costs for your customers that would account for multiple boxes being shipped. The first would be to use manual shipping rates and change your shipping rules based on the total order weight amount. This works best if you have products with similar shipping costs, or a small inventory. You can create your weight based rules to jump from $12.97 to $25.94 when more than one box worth of product is purchased. This sometimes requires setting up product weights that are inaccurate so you would need to manually input the weights when purchasing a label.

Another option is using an app along with our third party calculated shipping feature. Third party calculated shipping is included in the Advanced plan, available as a $20/month add on to other plans or as a free option on an annual subscription. This gives applications access to your admin's shipping features so you can set up product based rules. The apps I've listed below have this as an option.

Better Shipping 
Advanced Shipping Rules
Bespoke Shipping

I hope this helps to get your shipping options set up. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said.

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Thanks for that.  I did a test and had worked out the shipping label thing.  Of course the shipping cost indicated in the system is not the real cost.  In fact for multiple boxes it is meaningless.

I have a small number of products whose shipping cost is similar enough to where I worked out price range based "flat" rates that are good enough for my purposes.  People have said this for 10 years but not having shipping rates implemented at the product level by default is a complete pain, but doubtless is a good business strategy for selling apps.  I seriously looked at the competition today but my situation is simple enough that I can work around it.  In time I might consider an app.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 7

This is such a ridiculous refusal to implement a basic necessity. We will have customers order 100 packages from time to time. That is amazing to know that when we go live, I will have to go into the order and follow the steps for the recommended solution 100 times.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 0 7

"There are also a couple of ways to set up shipping costs for your customers that would account for multiple boxes being shipped. The first would be to use manual shipping rates and change your shipping rules based on the total order weight amount. This works best if you have products with similar shipping costs, or a small inventory. You can create your weight based rules to jump from $12.97 to $25.94 when more than one box worth of product is purchased. This sometimes requires setting up product weights that are inaccurate so you would need to manually input the weights when purchasing a label.

Another option is using an app along with our third party calculated shipping feature. Third party calculated shipping is included in the Advanced plan, available as a $20/month add on to other plans or as a free option on an annual subscription. This gives applications access to your admin's shipping features so you can set up product based rules. The apps I've listed below have this as an option.

Better Shipping 
Advanced Shipping Rules
Bespoke Shipping

I hope this helps to get your shipping options set up. Let me know if you have any questions about what I've said.

Thank you,
Lizzy"

So in short, there is absolutely no accurate solution.

Manual rates are not a solution. I can not charge one customer who is 1 state away the same price as a customer 6 states away for shipping.

3rd party apps are not a solution because Shopify will still see a 1,000,000 item order as (1) carton.

I'm using a 3rd party app (one of which is listed); while they allow you to set rules for a multiple package order which will allow for an accurate shipping cost (thankfully, since Shopify knowing failed miserably on this front and refuses to correct it), but when you go to your Shipping  shipping Admin to fulfill the order, Shopify STILL sees that multiple package order as (1) package so you must still go through manually one by one for each item in that order in order to produce multiple labels for that order.

Absolutely ridiculous.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is not really a solution, but only a set of work arounds.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

So I am having trouble finding where to edit the fulfillment number. I have order that are multiple purchases of the same products needing more than one box . It is only showing me the ability to purchase one label and no ability to alter the fulfillment number of the items so that I can do it in a multi step process

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

I'm having the same issue, It gives me no option to change the quantity. Can anyone help?

Edited: I found how. You actually have to purchase the label, and that is where you can edit what you are fulfilling. 

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 1

I use one size box for all of my shipping on Shopify. This box holds 6 items. When a customer orders 7+ items I ship with an additional box(es). I am trying to find an accurate way to automatically show customers the Shopify discounted shipping rates no matter how many items they order. I looked at Bespoke, Advances Shipping Rules and Better Shipping and none seems to deliver exactly what I'm looking for. I do not want to manually enter shipping rates each time this happens. Is there a better app for this or another way to solve the problem? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

This system is garbage. Does anyone know of an app that can handle this simple task?

0 Likes