Shipping large but light packages

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello all,

If I want to ship products that are large but don't weigh much, how do I make sure my customers pay accurate shipping fees for these products?

For example, I have a throw pillow that I want to sell, it will require a box larger than 12 in but it only weighs a couple of pounds. I can't easily change my default package size to get more accurate calculated shipping fees just for this product. How can I be confident that the prices for the shipping rates are correct and the labels will send my packages were they need to go?

I ran a test of the pillow mentioned above comparing the fee for shipping the pillow on the USPS website and the shipping fees calculated by Shopify on my store page. The Shopify calculation only factors in the default package, not the actual dimensions of the pillow. I'm more inclined to trust the prices of the USPS website because the shipping fees calculated by Shopify were so low they can't pay for a package that large. However, I'm not sure if the test was an even comparison because the package sizes were different and Shopify has a discount on items shipped in the US through USPS.

Regardless, if any of you could help me set up my shipping profile/rates/boxes to get accurate prices for items significantly larger or smaller than the default package I would greatly appreciate it as this is preventing me from being able to publish my store online.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Hey @JamsonHomeDecor,

If you're open to using a third-party app to resolve this for you, our app Intuitive Shipping can definitely handle this.  Intuitive Shipping features robust functionality that allows you to control how your items are meant to ship to ensure the cost calculated for your customer at checkout, covers your shipping costs during fulfillment.

One of our most popular features is the ability to define product dimensions for your catalog, then using our Smart Boxing algorithm, calculate the best fit package to ship the items in.  The package information, combined with the total product weight, will be sent off to USPS to retrieve an accurate shipping rate at checkout.  You can also mark a product as Package Separately so that it generates its own package, perfect for large, bulky or heavy items such as furniture.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Regards,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
291 1 10

Use the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app that will help you handle this issue using the volumetric weight feature. You can enter the weight as well as dimensions of your product and the app will help you handle the packing process as per your requirement.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Every time I try to install Multi Carrier Shipping Label I get an account validation error message saying to contact StorePep support.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
144 7 22

Hey @JamsonHomeDecor,

I see you've installed Intuitive Shipping.  Let me know if you have any questions or would like a demo of how to set up your product dimensions and packages.

Cheers,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping
Intuitive Shipping | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes