Shipping not working when 2 or more items in cart

Solved
Tourist
15 0 2

Hello,

I have a Shopify store in development https://dogmommatreats.com/ Supply theme.

I have been testing out my pages and found that if there are 2 or more items in the cart when I get to the shipping page of the checkout process I get an error message " Your cart has been updated and the previous shipping rate isn’t valid. Select a new rate." However, there isn't another rate as I offer free shipping on everything. I've set a weight 0.1 to indicate free shipping and set all of my products at that weight. It does not allow for the cart to progress to payment page... so obviously that isn't a good thing.  Any Ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance 😊

DogMommaTreats-Shipping_Capture.PNG

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 6 13

Hey, @Neon!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting the screenshots along with your site URL. That's super helpful to see possible things that might be happening on this error.

From the screenshot and testing the checkout, it looks like the missing shipping rates could be due to 1 of 3 things. Go through the next 3 sections carefully and let me know if you find the section where the missing rates are stemming from.

Missing Shipping Zones

Depending on the country and region that your customers will enter at checkout, different rates can be created for different this. If you're not seeing shipping settings, the first thing that I'd check on is to make sure that you've got a Shipping zone created for the country and state/region that you intend on shipping to.

We've got a fantastic guide to help walk you through making sure that you've got the right set up. As an example, if you were selling to all of the United States you'd want to make sure that you have a Shipping zone for the United States.

Weight-based Shipping Rates

This is one of the more common ones we see with Shipping setups. If you're missing some weight ranges to allow for a variety of weights to be taken into account at checkout, this can cause missing rates.

Example:

Let's say you have a weight-based rate for orders that have a total weight between 1 lb and 2 lbs. Now if a customer adds items to the cart totaling less than 1 lb or more than 2 lbs they won't see a shipping rate. They'd encounter the message you saw in your screenshot. This is because there isn't a rate that was created for any other weight ranges.

Basically, you don't want to have gaps between weight ranges. Here's how to fix it if this is the issue.

1. In your Settings > Shipping section, you'll find your Shipping zones.
  2. Click on Edit and you'll be able to modify all of your rates for that country/region.
  3. Once you see the weight-based rates you can click on Edit on that rate.
  4. Make sure that if you're offering different rates, you create new weight ranges.
  5. Double-check to make sure that your weight ranges in all your rates will cover all order weights from 0 to unlimited.

Since you can't be sure how many products your customers will add to the cart, it's important to make sure that your weight ranges cover an unlimited array of ranges.

One other thing that's key to this is that all of your products must have weights.

Price-based Shipping Rates

Similarly to the solution of the weight-based rates above, there needs to be full coverage of rates available for all order totals.

To resolve any issues with the price-based shipping rates, you'll want to follow the same instructions above for the weight-based rates. This time though you'll change the price ranges and make sure that you don't have gaps between them or missing any ranges.

I've got a great guide here to help you with your Shipping settings. It can help you decide which shipping rate strategy you may want to implement depending on your business model.

Let me know how you do with the steps above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 2

Hi Lilith,

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 6 13

Hey, @Neon!

You're very welcome! One thing I'd recommend is leaving the maximum weight blank so that you don't limit your customers at 200 lbs. The admin settings will let you leave that blank. Keep a close eye on your product variant weights and make sure that all of your products will always be 0.1 lbs or more since your shipping will only show to customers with 0.1 lbs or more in the cart. Other than that, I think you've got a great start on your shipping rates!

Looking forward to helping with the theme question you have through email!

Happy sales!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am having the same issue will all three of my shopify sites. This occurred after 1:30 pm today. Im not sure what could have caused this to happen. I have all of the required information filled out and nothing has been changed that would have caused this to happen. Please help.image (1).png

0 Likes